Joker Towing.... SHARKS!

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Garethmur, 6 Jan 2011.

1. Garethmur

Garethmur

Sorry just pissed off for my Dad.....
    Why the hell do we let people get away with fraud and hide behind their company name? Joker Towing has to be the biggest sharks I have heard of in the towing business. My dad drives an old VW beetle and got into an accident a little while ago. The accident involved 3 cars. Because the beetle is so old, my dad only has 3rd party insurance on the vehicle. In his dazed and confused state after the accident, as always, tow trucks started to arrive to offer their towing services. The 1st guy asked my dad if he could tow for him, my dad asked the cost involved to tow to his house. The oak said R300. My dad had no choice so while waiting for the cops and so on another guy from Joker Towing arrived and offered a free tow. My dad asked if it would be to his house, the Joker said no, it would have to be to their yard so they could sort out and claim from his insurance. My Dad explained to the Joker that 3rd party does not pay the insurance holder. the jokers insisted that he knows what he is doing, he deals with 3rd party insurance every day and my dad would get at least R6000 from them. My Dad, dazed from the accident confirmed with this jokes, that there would be no costs involved. The joker said yes, he would not have to pay a cent. The joker filled in a sheet and asked my dad to sign, ripped the top sheet out and gave it to my Dad, and off he went. (NOTE: The VW beetle was quiet damages but this joker didn’t see a problem with towing the vehicle with the back side up and ripped the new undamaged tire to shreds.
    When my dad next called them to find out what was happening, they said they were working on it. Eventually my dad went to them and saw the joker who was helping him at the accident scene. He asked if they were done and what was happening. The guy said he had to speak to his joker boss. When my Dad asked the guy what next, the joker boss told my dad he could take the vehicle whenever he wanted, he just had to pay (I can’t remember) a lot of thousands of rand. My dad argues for a long time with the joker boss, telling him what his employee told him about 3rd party and all that. The joker boss just laughed and told my Dad what he already know, 3rd party insurance does not pay the holder of the insurance. My Dad told this joker boss that he knows this and there... there is the guy who towed me, ask him... The joker boss just shrugged it off saying he was not there, he does not know what his joker told my Dad. The joker boss asked my dad for the slip he signed; my Dad gave it to him. The joker boss turned the slip over and low and behold, there were a whole lot of charges and costs that the joker driver did not disclose when talking to my Dad. After lots of arguing, the joker boss eventually told my Dad that if he at least paid R2500 he would put his car on the back of a flat bed and return it to his house. My Dad eventually saw no choice and paid the man. My Dad had the last of his cash that just so happened to be exact he needed to buy groceries with. The joker boss told my Dad that he would send the car by 12 that afternoon. When 14:00 turned around, my dad called them and only a security guard answered saying that everyone had left for the day. My Dads car was still in their yard. The next day when my Dad called, the jokers told him they were sorry but one of their drivers parked his car in and did not leave the keys of the truck.
    (They could not just call and say this the day before)
    Later that day when they did return his car, the jokers decided to tow from the front(NOTE: NOT ON THE FLAT BED AS TOLD TO MY DAD), dragging the exhaust all the way till by the time they got to my Dads house there was hardly anything left of the exhaust system... And these guys claim they know what they are doing....
    I have been towed many times before with good service from A1 and others....
    But...
    Joker Towing...
    What a bunch of Low Lives......
    Taking advantage of people in a bad situation...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

There is a tow truck association. Report this to them.

4. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll tell my Dad....

5. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I agree... Don't let them get away with it...

6. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

hahaha, typical, I just checked out their website and they have a policy posted that they will not accept any complaints unless the tow was arranged through their call center...
    hahahaha, I never even knew they existed before now.... I bet most of Joe Public doesn't know either. and so... with that one stupid stipulation... their hands are clean and they also really don't care.....

7. lIghty

lIghty

How do you know if these okes are talking krap? when they open their mouth!!!

Sorry to hear this, but unfortunately it happens every day.

Check if they are a member of Satra, if so then report them!

I would claim damages against them, they are liable to repair all damages caused by themselves!

Some advise to everyone, SAPS, Metro etc don't even have the right to force you to tow with a cirtain towing company! Often they are freinds with the recovery company and will try push to get your vehicle towed, just tell him to go do traffic control and piss off out of your bussiness!

8. lIghty

lIghty

These okes are low life cons, I hate them with a passion! But wait until the new consumer protection act comes into affect soon, they will have their b*lls clipped!

9. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

try put this on hellopeter, maybe that will make some difference?

10. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Dude... They're tow truck drivers... IE: Computer illiterate. Why do you think they don't have real jobs?

(I know that is a harsh generalization, but i also hate them.)

11. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Well, at least it will warn other people.

12. martin

martin Reef Adict

Towing companies are of the worst of worst - Being in the Insurance Industry I have had my fair share of dealings with them.

Vertually the whole towing industry is corrupt and SATRA are just as bad.

Insure with a company which gives you stickers to put on the car which assists with corruptness and only approved towers are allowed to tow otherwise it's theft.

Alot of people (including myself) in the Insurance Industry have had death threats and the like so be warned as they are the as low as low can go.

TP insurance wouldn't cater for the towing facility though in most instances.

Sorry to hear about this and it always seems to happen to those which are less fortunate or the elderly etc...

Recent Posts