joined the site and i have found my mecca

Discussion in 'New Members' started by deadmeat2016, 19 Jan 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi, i am a bit new to the marine aquaria, have been running my tank for 4 months now and i have made many, many and many mistakes due to my LFS. Im studing Bsc earth science and water chemistry has become fascinating for me this last year, being able to apply my knowledge to my aquarium, learning about marine bilogy and supporting the creation of life in my own tank. On another note, everyone in this site is moer nice and i thank you all. Will be adding pics soon but its a bit late and will resize and post on thurs.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

welcometomasaDeadmeat - Glad you can join our fast growing family - hopefully with most of the guys experience and your knowledge that you busy studying we can all have happy tankmates - afterall thats what we here for - to create that little piece of ocean in our homes. Please tell us more about your existing setup and let us see how we can help to mend your LFS bad advice - sorry to say but some of the shops out there out to make quick bucks - but here the only price to pay is tons of pics and we wanna see you smiling!Enjoy your stay and great to have you on board here at MASA:thumbup:

4. FransSny

FransSny

welcome deadmeat, sorry to hear about your losses (also read your other post), unfortunately there are less than honest guys out there.

Please ask as many questions as you like here on MASA, the advice you get is one of the few free things in life :)

5. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

6. mandarin

mandarin

A VERY WARM WELCOME MY FRIEND ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE:thumbup:

7. seank

seank

[​IMG]

I see you've read up some threads in the newbie section. Good on you. Hope all your questions gets answered:)

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, deadmeat...... Great that you have found and joined MASA!

Please elaborate a bit more on your tank? ie. what hardware do you have? filtration system? lighting? live stock? in-tank power-heads/pumps? etc....

If you can - please post photo's of your tank, or start a new thread only for your tank?

Hope you enjoy our company here on MASA! It's great to have you on-board!

There's another MASA member from Gordon's Bay - Burt..... Perhaps you 2 could get together sometime and discuss your tanks! ;)

9. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

masahello

10. inflames

inflames

Welcome to MASA!!

11. crispin

crispin

hello deadmeat, welcome to masa i hope we can help you make a success of your tank :)

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

my tank

Ok, i hope the pics are clear but i got home late so my lights were off, will post some more tomorrow. At the mo filtration wise i am using a DSB with caribsea fiji pink, some seachem purigen(great stuff!), some seachem phosguard and a cheapo boyu skimmer which i am hoping to replace with a decent professional skimmer soon and hook up so its the first thing the flow goes through before my sump. for flow i am using a seio wave controller and 2 m1100 blowers. for my overflow i am using a reeftek overflow box. my calcium reactor is DIY whcih i got from a friend who disassembled his tank. Theres alot of weird stuff growing in my tank which i will post pics on asap. please shout if there is anything i am doing wrong or could do better! o and my lighting is a single metal halide 10,000k and an actinic t8 tube. Cheers guys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

O and as far as LFS goes, i was told any hydrometer was fine to use, using a cheapo one, nothing was growing for a long time, went back to LFS and they made me buy a new one and some very overpriced t8 tubes. i later found out that t8's are fairly useless and that i would need about 4-6 tubes for decent lighting for corals, they did not mention metal halides or t5's, so i wasted some cash on t8's. I then saw a carpet anemone which i wanted from them. 'Is it hard to look after i asked?'(my tank was 3 weeks old!) they said yes of course, it doesnt really need much light and feed it every now and again, i siphoned the poor nennie out in chunks 2 weeks later. back to the hydrometer, i discovered NAAC(new approach aqua culture, only sells marine stock) johan there introduced me to a refractometer and when the hydrometer was reading 1.024, the refractometer told me 1.031!!!! which is why nothing was growing or living! after that, several cases of buying clowns from them which did not eat after they told me they do and later i found they all had cyanide poisoning and died!!! I'm not sure if i can mention the shops name but if you really wanna know, send me a private message. Thanks again

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Although we like to name and shame certain unscrupulous pet shops we dont on the public forum but you are welcome to private message fellow reefers in your area and I'm sure the pet shop will eventually get the message when the marine guys stop supporting him - Also give it a shot to try and speak to the LFS even if it is to try and save the lives of his livestock - you never know - some lfs might listen!

Recent Posts