Joe's Dymax IQ5

Reaction score
Good day all, after being inspired by posts on this site, i have bought a 13 liter Dymax IQ5 acrylic tank. This is my first attempt at a marine aquarium. I have the following:
Dymax iq5 tank
Dymax small heater
Dymax small skimmer
Water circulation pump with jet
Dymax led light
Volcanic rock (not live) for small rear sump
Fiji pink aragonite substrate
Six palm sized pieces of live rock

Did the mixing and adding, and currently have water at 26'C and a hydrometer reading of 1.021. Will be updating, and asking tips from you please. Herewith some photos.

Reaction score
:welcomewave: Have fun with your new toy! Pretty little tank, but be warned, you going to want a big one soon!:biggrin: Ask any questions if you need any help. Give your tank time to mature, glad you didn't go with live rock, at least you know you aren't adding any critters you don't want, I am strong advocate for dead rock.

bollie

Advanced Aquarist
Reaction score
just love those picos,correct me if im wrong but i see zoa rock and other polyps there???

welcometomasa

Reaction score
Day 3

I have those six pieces of live rock (with some interesting creatures on) in the tank, then have volcanic rock (no life) in the back sump compartment. Awaiting those sump rocks to get populated by bacteria for the filtration needs.

The tank temperature seems pretty stable at 25'C, even though we had a few very hot days in Mpumalanga, and the hydrometer reading is also stable at 1.021, I have not noticed any evaporation. Im not even bothering to measure the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, im sure they are way off, and will test these in 4 weeks.

Could you please identify these creatures living on the rock, closer photos herewith. When adding the live rock i also noticed two crabs in/on the rock, so these buggers are somewhere in this small tank. I also noticed a small 1cm in length shellfish, not sure if it is a clam, but it has two shells that close on each other in a wavey pattern ~~~.

1. Red coral, which glows lumo orange with blue led
2. Polyps
3. White brown and lumo yellow mushroom, what is the scientific name
4. Purple wrowth attached to rock
5. The shellfish

Last edited:

bollie

Advanced Aquarist
Reaction score
Well the mushrooms looks like hairy mushrooms, give it timw they should show some colour, the polyps are suppose to be zoas,but they closed(if its for long_bad sign) ,purple is coraline if its encrusted on the rock ....

With all this said, you made a bad 1st move to add live corals to a brand new tank ,ur mushrooms look unhealthy and so does the zoas,seeing they still close and may not open

Also, when u spot the crabs I suggest removing them as they will prey on tiny fish,inverts etc...

bollie

Advanced Aquarist
Reaction score
Oh and the lumo orange is a dying/coming to life old acan or blastomusa ..... If u lucky it will regrow, but highly unlikely as ur lights aren't eficient and tanks stilll wayyyy to new

Reaction score
The live rock came with these living creatures, if they die so be it, aim is to get the tank cycled and stable. The tank was bought from VIP pets in Joburg, and it cost R1300

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
I think for the tank, its nice pieces of liverock. Reason is that you only have so much space. With polyps already on the one rock, they will recover. But at least you do not need another rock with polyps on top of that rock. Yes, getting live rock with some nice hitch hikers are a bonus. Problem that you have is due to the small size of the tank, that any chemical changes are extreme. something dies and it will quickly and sharply push your ammonia levels up. You need to be very careful with that, one dead snail and whack goes the parameters.

But it seems you are off to a good start. Lovely little tank.

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Im keeping a close eye on the tank, and neglecting my girlfriend i think.

Yesterday, on top of one live rock, i noticed a white liquid bubble forming with some smaller ones beside it and it looked like it was spreading slowly. It did not look healthy, so i took out the rock and scrubbed it with a small toothbrush around that spot.

RiaanP

Reaction score
best thing for now, let is settle.

And do not stick your hands into that tank. Doing it 10 times a day on that small size will impact your parameters. Doing it 10 times a day on 1000 litres would hardly be noticed.

And get yourself plastic tongs.

Reaction score
Very nice Tank for my office desk:whistling:. That is a good price for everything you got and welcometomasa

Top Bottom