Joe's 60 cube

@Whoknows no problem. If I had to restock this tank I would have stocked as follows:
4 x bartlett's fairy anthias
1 x 6 line wrasse
1 x manderin dragonet
1 x algae eating fish. Maybe something like a flame angel/algae blenny - after doing tons of research as I am not familiar with these fish.

@Whoknows no problem. If I had to restock this tank I would have stocked as follows:
4 x bartlett's fairy anthias
1 x 6 line wrasse
1 x manderin dragonet
1 x algae eating fish. Maybe something like a flame angel/algae blenny - after doing tons of research as I am not familiar with these fish.
Thank you:slayer:this is even better I'm looking for inspiration. I love the coloring on the fairy anthias. So pretty

Hi

Just an update on the nutrient problem. I bit the bullet and picked up a red sea trace colours test kit. Based on the tests over the last week it appears that my iron was very low or bottomed out.

Started dosing some iron and got a good reading today. I will track the consumption over the next couple of days to match that daily.

Also picked up a new frag today. Still thinking about when to post a pic of it. Wait for it to colour up a bit or today? :whistling:

Pavona coral no looking so hot. Moved it to the back to see if it prefers less flow. Will be keeping a close eye on that one

Hi all,

Been a while since I updated. Nutrients still a bit of a problem, but slowly getting it under control. Some corals showed some recession from the tips and with the high nutrients caused some algae growth on the tips. However, the recession has stopped for now.

The new coral I added during November was a Walt Disney Tenuis. This has not coloured up as yet. No signs of stress noted though :)

Also picked up an ApexEL and I have to say I am super happy with the product. Will be picking up a few extra modules over the course of the year - FMM and I/O BoB. FMM will be used for 1 leak detection sensor and 2 Flow meters (UV and Return Pump). The BoB will be used mainly for my RO container.

Finally also busy finishing up the cladding and cabinet for controllers, etc. I hope to have this done soon.

Hi,

Some progress shots of the cladding for the hood and sump

There was a slight problem with the wood for the equipment cabinet. Plan to stop at Builders tomorrow to cut the panels to size.

Seems that my PO4 and NO3 is again dropping to reasonable readings:

Busy with weakly maintenance. I'll try and post of coral pics when I am done.

Almost done with cabinet. Unfortunately will only be able to finish this project from 23 January. I also need a few things to finish mounting controller, energy bars, multi plugs etc. Need to find strong cabinet magnets/magnetic door stops for the cladding and cabinet door.

Caught my cleaner wrasse today as it was aggressively nipping my clams mantle. Has been very bad the last week - clam was completely closed.

Ok so for those interested in the update.

Nutrients

Po4 and No3 have been up and down. I attribute the spike of last week to a failed dosing motor. Things started looking good the week before.

Manually dosing Nopox at the moment until I pick up a replacement motor. 3ml dose at the moment.

I have been trying to manage the spike with 30% water changes weekly. However, this has proven costly and opted for the nopox route. Fingers crossed that it works.

Coral

Some new additions already shared in the previous posts. Unfortunately, not all good news. Lost an acro last week. It seemed like a tenius species . My walt disney also took a knock :banghead: Was able to frag off small pieces that are haning on for now.

A number of other acropora (loripes and vilada, marvin the martion (fuzzy af acro) and some unknown aus acro) showing some recession from the tips. Spots on the tips turn milky white and slime a fair amount before dying back. This is very slow though and I trim the tips.

Millepora, montipora, seriatopora, hystrix, acropora carduus and other deep water acros (excluding loripes),acropora yongei/stag horn types and acropora nasuta seem unaffected by this. There are some other acropora I have which I have not been able to identify yet.

LPS that I have also did not show any stress.

Initial thoughts were:
  1. Pests: not saying this is impossible, but I follow a religious dipping regime for any new coral. Double strength as a minimum. Bases are cut off. Any dead or exposed areas are covered with glue. 6 line wrasse for pest control. Was thinking that more corals might show stress/recession? Just weird that the tenius species showed these symptoms.
  2. Trace elements: Considered maybe some heavy metal being elevated. Did use some polyfilter pads to see if there were any signs of high metals. Pads have to date only turned brown. This was also the reason for the possible ICP test. Raised some queries with the supplier of the tests, but no answer yet - maybe my questions were stupid :m38:
Long story short, no idea what caused this.

Clean up crew

Added 2 more nassarius snails (finding eggs on a regular basis). Did add a dolabella sea hare but it seems it died - it missed all the green hair algae.

Equipment failures

1 Zetlight E100 failed in December. Good service from it though.

1 motor on my DP3 is dead.

Apex pH probe in question at the moment - drifted 0.24 in less than 2 months? Not too concerned as trend data is more valuable to me and running no equipment controlled by the ph probe. The notification on the other hand can get annoying due to the inaccurate readings....

Not a failure but recently discovered my radion was mobius ready. Did the necessary updates etc. Mobius running well for me.

Fish

Doing well - fat and healthy. Seems that my male anthia is very active lately - especially close to lights out. Breeding behaviour perhaps?

Cabinet

My wife is breathing down my neck due to this not being completed on time. Finished 95% of the project. Require some minor items to finish it up completely. Difficult with work at the moment but hope to wrap this up by end March.

I did encounter a problem in respect of the cladding for the hood - warped panels.....working on a solution.

Note for future, skip 8 mm shutterply as a material to use for projects.

Last edited:
It seems like my dosing pump has finally given up. Picked up a new one today.

I dosed nopox manually the past week and Po4 and No3 has come down a fair amount.

Set dosing pump to dose 2mls a day for the next week.

Last edited:
Seems the Nopox is working very well. The 2 ml dose has reduced NO3 to 1 ppm and kept PO4 stable (0.11 vs 0.12). I did increase feeding and amino acid dosing over the week as well.

Reduced the Nopox to 1 ml per day now. Hope that this keeps it stable.

Regarding the pH probe issue, I logged a support ticket with Neptune Support. The probe will be replaced as there is a problem with the probe. The drift from the set point is visible on the weekly data. Also had a look at the neptune forum and it seems that a good probe should drift 0.02 every 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Not much to report this week. Seems like nutrients are under control. Corals seem a slightly pale. I have increased amino acid dosing to try and compensate for this. Currently on 3 ml nopox a day.

Alk consumption has been insane lately. Dosing 53mls a day - I use the alk powder so it's roughly 3rd strength of the normal red sea alk additive. Calcium uptake has also increased by 300% - not so impressive when I state the actuals mls of 6 mls.

Cleaned the tank today - finished 15 mins ago. Some pics:

Back
Top Bottom