Joe's 60 cube

You got a skimmer and a refugium and as clean as the tank look I can see you like to clean alot so well done you got a very low nutrient setup lol now start being lazy and switch of skimmer or run it on timmer

Hi

Been a whole since I updated.

Equipment update

Added a media reactor. It's huge :lol: I was not sure if it would fit in the sump. Sump is fully now.

Parameters update

Parameters have been stable. Still have no detectable readings on PO4 and NO3. For those following, yip you guessed it, I started feeding more. Feed about 4 cubes of frozen foods 5 times a week and 6 cubes twice a week. Dose around 7 mls of fuel daily.

Livestock update

Fish are looking super healthy due to crazy amount of food. The anthea's are not interested in flakes or pellets yet.

There has been a massive pod explosion in the tank and my wrasse is living the dream. It does not even eat the food I add to the tank.

The majority of the pods seems to be munid isopod. That pic is of an area about the size of a R 5 coin.

Coraline growth has picked up. There is a number of small spots on the back wall of the tank. Have not noticed anything on the rock yet. Yes, the rocks are covered by a green algae - seems like a film algae and very difficult to remove. Calcium based perhaps?

Corals seems very happy. Massive polyp extension and some good growth on some. Leptastrea has started growing significantly. Added a number of new SPS frags :m38: 1 of the new one (been in the tank for about a month) started encrusting.

Not all good news though. 3 frags are showing some signs of distress. I have aggressively been dipping these and they seem stable, some improvement.

Most of these corals came from my nano and were transferred during the nano crash. I am hopeful that they will recover.

Did some maintenance on the tank today and I am still surprised how much faster this goes when compared to my nano.

Last edited:
Thanks ReeferBray :m01: I am very excited for this tank. I still need to get a few frags. The scan, recordia and zoas will be moved to another tank. This will be an sps only tank.

I still need to get some of the following:
  • Milka
  • Green thick branching birdsnest
  • Pink birdsnest
  • Pacman acropora
  • Pink pocillapora
  • Encrusting montipora
There will be 3 spots left after that. Still not sure what to get.

How's then nutrients level going manage to get them stable where you want them?
And are you running your hybrid light setup yet radion/t5?

Nutrients are non detectable. However, I dont think it is 0. Brown film algae grows on the glass. I use that as my indicator to manage how much food and ammino acids to dump in the tank.

I am still running the maxspect and t5 units. Will have to transfer the radion once I have build the canopy. Plan was to take leave during August and build the canopy. Hopeful I can get some time off in October.

Hi :m01:

Been a while since I posted an update.

Not much to report. Fish are fat an happy. Corals seem happy and encrusting. Nutrients still undetectable :confused1:

Changed amino acids from AquaVitro Fuel to TLF Acropower. Will see if it makes a difference.

Need to test my water with my next water change. Water siphoned out is very yellow. Wonder if it is because of the excess food settling in the sand bed or if the water is yellow. With next water change will just siphon out water in a bucket before cleaning anything to assess.

I have increased the amount of carbon I run in my reactor. Running red sea reef spec and polyp lab pro carbon.

Alk and Cal is fairly stable. Average consumption per week seems to be as follows:
Alk: 0,62 dkh
Cal: 24 ppm

The algae issue is picking up but my snails do eat it. Still not sure what algae it is. Definitely not GHA or Bryopsis. Will keep an eye on it.

Coraline algae has taken hold on the rock. Very happy about this. Hope it is just a matter of time before it takes over.

Did pick up 2 frags this month. Milka and some unknown acropora. Very excited for the acropora. Had pink, green and yellow when I picked up. Did bleach a bit after dipping it. It seems to be doing ok now.

Last edited:
Hi

Been monitoring Alk and Cal over the past 3 days to confirm the numbers I calculated. Seems the the numbers were more testing errors :m29: reduced dosing to 50% of initial calc. Will test these again tonight.

I also noted my 1 acro has been deteriorating. I suspect the filtration to be too efficient. I did pick up some Brightwell NeoPhos and NeoNitros and have been dosing 0.17ml and 0.80ml respectively. Dosing has been done on a daily basis. Noted some polyp extension on the specific acro after starting the dosing.

If my math is correct at the doses specified above, assuming 0 consumption, the readings expected should be:
PO4: 0.02 ppm
NO3: 0.46 ppm

Will test PO4 and NO3 on Saturday.

I have some Brightwell Reef Blizzard. Started adding that to tank once a day.

Hi

Quick update. Things seems better after starting the PO4 and NO3 dosing.

Results were as follows:
  1. 2019/09/14: PO4 0.02 and NO3 1.33
  2. 2019/09/21: PO4 0.02 and NO3 3.10
Will continue with PO4 dosing at 0.05 ml per day and NO3 will be reduced to 0.05 ml per day.

Noticed a few spots of coraline algae on the rocks :m01:

Stability in this tank has been much better than the nano. Alk and Cal holding steady at 8.15 and 430 respectively.

The final pieces of equipment will be picked up this month. Unfortunately, the maxspect 200 series pumps were discontinued :m20: so I have to settle for the MJ GF 4K pumps. Was really looking forward to the anti sync mode. Will be picking up 2 of those this coming week.

Will post some pics after the clean.

Last edited:
Hi all

Been a while and never posted the pics.

Had a bit of a spike in nutrients so I have been bringing it down slowly :m28: All frags seems fine and some recovering nicely.

Maybe some background as to the nutrient spike. Have been struggling to get any form of reading on both PO4 and NO3 for months and I decided to start dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro. By the time I made my last post the dosing of these additives were going well. During this time I also thought I should try the polyplab products. Got their amino acids, polyp booster and reef roids. Potent stuff :m23: Long story short, nutrient spike.

As of yesterday, PO4 and NO3 were as follows:

I did pick up the gyre pumps. A bit more work on maintenance, but these things push massive amounts of water and they are super quiet. Do get noisy when air gets trapped in them. This is something I am still figuring out - cavetation. Not sure if I move the pumps lower if the water pressure would prevent this.

Still tweaking the flow settings to try and get it closer to what I want.

Maybe some background as to the nutrient spike. Have been struggling to get any form of reading on both PO4 and NO3 for months and I decided to start dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro. By the time I made my last post the dosing of these additives were going well. During this time I also thought I should try the polyplab products. Got their amino acids, polyp booster and reef roids. Potent stuff :m23: Long story short, nutrient spike
nothing good happens fast, not in this hobby. Only over time. Do not rush things. Anyway, glad things are sorting out now.

Hi Riaanp,

I know that but I guess it was a false sense of comfort based on how efficient my filtration has been :m29:My problem was not testing for PO4 and NO3 while adding all the polyp labs stuff. The specific lesson is dont assume but test the impact of significant changes.

I am also happy things are returning to normal.

Hi

Been a while sine my last update. Will be a while longer - need to clean the tank before update.

As stated in my previous post, things have returned to normal. Starting to see some growth again.

I finally got the canopy built Still need to do the cladding on the canopy and the stand. Will try to get to that during the holidays.

IMG-20191221-WA0014.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi

General information on the canapy - light focus:
  • All lights raised about 20 cm from water surface
  • Spacing between the lights were mainly based on the Aquatic Life LED/T5 fixture - distance of centre to of centre outside bulbs on T5 units around 31 cm
  • T5's slightly tilted towards LED unit in order to avoid spillage of light
Did some measurements on PAR

Based on current reading and where I need to get it is not too far off in terms of ramping the light. Pushing the Radion to 23% gets me to around 300 PAR. However, definitely seeing a bit of a hotspot effect - considering the diffuser for this.

I have set the acclimation function on for the purpose of ramping the light from 19% to 23%.

Hi,

I owe some pics. Will try to getet to it.....at some stage. Adulting is interfering. Also need to look at a camera filter for pics as currently the pics come out very blue.

Order the diffuser kit. Hope to have it by the weekend.

Corals seems to have responded well to the increased intensity. Some nice colouration noted on the millepora and acropora. Noticed a few corals encrusting well - all consumption has increased a fair amount.

New additions recently:
  • Chilli pepper monti
  • Manderin dragonet - going well so far but monitoring daily.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom