JHB Reefers: What do you want from meetings???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 15 May 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi All!

myself and the other organisers, jhb reef mafia, are looking to see what people what from meetings....

Monthly?
    At a persons house, or just a social meet??
    talks?

etc:1::1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

normally it always turns out to be social. and it is always good. but having one on a monthly basis will be better:p

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Monthly meets will be leka & I talking about CTN meets.....

5. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

dude...says JHB in the title... reading lessons next week :p

6. the fish

the fish

:lol::lol::lol:

7. Zandy

Zandy

Would like monthly meets, have suggested a place based in Sandton (a school where i work) as a regular meeting venue. But what i have found at meetings which was a bad experience was the fact that alot of the newbies were there...introduced but then left to find their own way to mingle. In my opinion there is always a "click" and for some newbies trying to get into conversation it's a little more difficult as they dont know any of the members as yet. So perhaps do do something where everybody (including newbies) can part take in..perhaps some basic sharing of knowledge in the form of a demostration will draw them into feeling part of the whole reefing experience.I know that i will most probably be "attacked" for my input, but you want an opinion and this is mine. That way the bridge between the old and the new will be made smaller and being visual people (that is why we love the hobby) i think personally that you will draw alot more interest and have a more relaxed meeting showing and sharing things like...how to build your own frag rack, how to do a water change(newbies), how to do a coral dip....all those things will make it worthwhile for all. My 2c worth of input.

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

We have tried to make the reef meets about learning something. At our last meet, we had the Idol team talk about their way of reefing, we have had frag demos, lighing comparisons, and led building in the past also but once again attendance seems to be an issue and we always get the regulars attending.

There will always be a social element as this is the nature of reef meets, but i think we should look to keep it with a focus on teaching or spreading knowledge about reefing.

But we also want to know what will bring in the new faces.

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Sorry Boss:thumbup:

10. the fish

the fish

bringing new faces is always the problem, some are a bit shy and scared because of the fact that they feel they cant give any input on certain things. so they tend to stay away. and thus we end up with the regulars and maybe one or 2 newbies that will attend and maybe show some photos or give insight on their latest project they are working on. IMHO some reefers do tend to get a bit scary to others as they don't give advice but rather force their ways on to others. which isn't bad, but it is not good too. and this is why some will only join in 1 meeting and never join in for the next. and that is kind of sad. this small element needs to be removed, and i am sure from there the meets will get bigger and better. :)

11. Zandy

Zandy

Yes i agree, learning skills and something one can use is helpfull. Not the same as watching a video on you tube..much better. I would suggest get a poll that has a few subjects, and let the members vote what they would like to see/learn to do, if we all share our skills and knowledge this in turn will safe the live stock we have and that is killing 2 birds with one stone.
    I for one, would like to see how to frag a hammer /torch coral, how to remove a dead head...tricks and tips on fragging them slymy shoomms....so yeah make it at one central place where the meet will be everytime.

12. Zandy

Zandy

No offence i love the IDOL team , but for me watching and having to listen to someone talking for an hour having slide shows, i would rather go read the labels on all the supplements. Was informative if you were a newbie, but really got me bored...!! Having it at someones house always turns out to be all about how this guy/girls tank look and so on...more like a show off... that is not the reason for a masa meet. So if you want to do this , start by getting a fixed venue, keep to set dates irrespective if this or that person cannot make it, and start with keeping things REGULAR !!!! Sorry guys..not meaning this to offend anybody...just saying it the way i feel

Last edited by a moderator: 15 May 2013
  13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

So are you offering to lecture us on a topic? :whistling:

How would you spruce things up zandy we are looking for idea here

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Everyone must just realise it's not a show and tell at people's houses, it's more convenient and also guys that host are ones that are willing to share their success and failures in marines. I personally try and push for new guys to try and meet everyone, but one can only beg so much. The attitude that is found in this hobby whereby there are clicks is not limited to ours. If you want to part of the so called click or group one must make a concerted effort to become involved. Come say hello! Having a a "club house" to meet every month or so, makes it, IMO, very impersonal, whatever next, will we be electing a president of MASA.

15. the fish

the fish

i like the show and tell. it works for me. have learned a lot and also have had some good advice from a couple the guys. like @carlosdeandrade said. become involved, ask questions and the answers will be very helpful.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Alternative venues should be at somebody house and the next month at a sponsor shop or neutral venue (for a braai).

New guys would not feel that out of place at a shop they know, so next month they could rock up to somebodies house.

I do like a formal talk with or without slide shows - sorry @Zandy. As it does bring something out that can be useful. And having an article up for discussion without interruptions or other personal comments do allow the presenter to complete his story. But yeah, a bit shorter maybe. But then, not everytime either.

NAME TAGS
    Simple, a sticker with forum name and real name, for the newbies.

Can as an extra number the name tags and have a lucky draw at the end. Somebody wins whatever, price can be a single tub of food or more. Just ask your LFS if they would sponsor something.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I like idea of monthly meets (though I may not always be available to attend).

In terms of house vs shop meets, I don't mind either. The one hosted by @dallasg where @KillerWhale attended and gave feedback on the products is one meet that stands out. Another great event was the coral/frag swap hosted by Lifestyle Pets and think that this should be done once every 6 months.
    There was also the one that was hosted by Wild on Pets where @RiaanP gave a talk about the various snails encountered and @butcherman giving a fragging demonstration.

Basically, I enjoy the interactive sessions where you can take part in the activity as well as the session where the presenters teach you a skill (like fragging or the DIY LED build).

My only gripe with the meets was that the space is limited so it gets crowded. But it is a very small gripe in the greater scheme of things.

18. Zandy

Zandy

You know what , i hear you guys and the opinions, and i just voice what i personally have experienced. This is from my own eyes and my OWN opinion. The reason why i said a regular venue is becuase of the fact that a person could most probably have a marine tank running there where demonstrations could be done ect. Where everybody could feel neutral. It's lovely having it at a Sponsor from time to time , but seating ect becomes a problem. I enjoyed the talk at IDOL (Rob & Adriaan's talks) but it's not something one would like to do every month. Agree with @RiaanP about the name tags. Everybody has different personalities and not all the people have the confidence to jump out their box and say HALLO....here i am... so by doing something where everybody can take part in..do things that involve the people more....

19. Zandy

Zandy

20. Zandy

Zandy

@butcherman ... i can teach the ladies how to pass :peroni: to the guys and sit how and watch them do all the work...Then when someone comments " Lovely tank.... how to make sure you do the...THANK YOU part while he has a sip of his beer...lol:whistling:

21. Zandy

Zandy

@carlosandrade @butcherman .. I think one way is to "Adobt a Newbie" ...and who ever said (based on location) they will walk the start with this new person also need to make sure they bring their newbie to the meets. Just chucking ideas around ...so no stoning YET please?:lol:

Recent Posts