(Jhb) Looking for MicroAlgae starter disc and culture medium?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by abgg118, 21 Feb 2010.

1. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Hi again,

Unless someone in Jhb has some greenwater starter culture for me (which doesn't seem to be the case), I've decided to import some nannochloropsis culture starting discs and f/2 culture medium from Florida-Aqua-Farms.com.

Now, I already have rotifer cysts, fine-meshed collecting cups/gadgets, etc. so I won't be ordering any of these. I was just wandering whether someone else would want to order something, then we can split the shipping costs.

I'll only be ordering 2x Culture Starter Discs and 2x 200ml culture medium.

I can't remember exactly how much the shipping was last time, but it wasn't earth-shattering, and I really need to get my greenwater and rotifers going again - for feeding the filter-feeders and trying to raise some clown fry. Even if I get starter culture somewhere, it may be better to feed the proper f/2 formula rather than the makshift plant-fertiliser I used to use.

Also, take into account there is also an "import tax" on this side (10% or 14% - can't remember).

So have a look at their website and let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Gideon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. abgg118

abgg118 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I found the original emails - it was from 2005 and express shipping was $26 back then - that should give you an idea.

4. dv8

dv8

i have some nano for you, and i have sent some up to jhb so there definately is some there, i know of two guys who i gave to but not sure if they still have. let me know if you want some and we can make a plan.

abgg118 likes this.
  5. abgg118

Hi Jason,

Received the greenwater the next day and put 2 bottles under lights and aeration, with one in the fridge for in-case ...
    The power went out for 4 hours yesterday, so I brought the bottles in to the living room where we had some heat going, manually blowing air through them every few minutes (with settling occurring in-between). When the power came back on I returned them to the lights and auto-aeration. I've added a bit of Bonsai plant food to give them something to grow on.

While I can clearly see "clumps" indicating die-off, there is still a nice green tint to the water, so I'm holding thumbs ...

Thanks again foryour troubles!!

6. dv8

dv8

it is a pleasure, i find that just puting them in the fridge for power outages is fine. also i shake mine realy well every day , if you could shake more often then even better. next time i split i'll not shake befor splitting and collect all the sediment in one bottle.

try to give to as many people in jhb too, this way if your should crash you would have some one closer to get from again, rogen and i back each other up in p e

7. abgg118

The two 1liter bottles still looks alive. I've put them together in a 3liter glass jar today and I am now slowly added culture medium (sterilised saltwater with added Bonsai food). I let it run through a 50micron (I think) mesh to remove clumps/sediment, so the "live" vs "dead" ratio should be better now. If they pull through this and start getting darker/greener I may just be well on my way to having a constant source of greenwater and rotifers again!

I've also started up the 1liter bottle that I kept in the fridge up to now, just in case, as I doubt it will keep much longer anyway.

Hold thumbs!

8. abgg118

The greenwater that I put through the mesh is definately a "lighter shade" of green than the dark green bottle of the "sediment" and fridge-bottle combination. I hope that's a good sign ...

9. abgg118

Another split later and it's still going strong:
    [​IMG]

The three equally green bottles (orange, white, blue caps) were split about 50%/50%, while the lighter green bottle (green cap) was probably around 20%/80%. The one on the right (pink cap) contains rotifer cysts and water from different historical rotifer populations - they should start up again and multiply to a dense culture soon - I hope.

So, now it's time to share some around Jo'burg. Those bottles are 3liter each, so I should have around 3 liter or so to share within a week or two, when I split again. Anyone want some. In this way we can have some backups around town should a crash happen ... let me know.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010
  10. Sentari

Sentari

Great stuff! always good to have some floating around Joburg. I would love to take some off your hands when i have some time to setup a station etc.

Will let you know.

11. dv8

dv8

12. Anemone

Anemone

:thumbup:

13. Rossco

Rossco

Hi Gideon

I would like to get some green water and rotifers going.
    any chance your setup is still going?

Rossco

14. abgg118

The greenwater is going strong, but I can't see any rotifers yet, unfortunately ...

15. Rossco

Rossco

green water

Any chance you could sell me some green-water?
    I'd like to try get some rotifers too (any advice on where to buy some cysts...)

Cheers Rossco

Recent Posts