Jewel Conversion

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by wito-zn, 23 Mar 2012.

1. wito-zn

wito-zn

Hi I have been here for a while but never had the opportunity to start a marine tank only had fresh water tanks. I now have that chance but iI need to convert a jewel tank. Can anybody help me?

I have a Jewel Rio 180, Standerd lights, Standerd filter, heater. What do i need to do to change it to a fish only tank?

Kind regards
    Steve

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Steve, what do you mean by a "Standard filter", I've never seen a Jewel 180 so forgive my ignorance. Is it a canister filter or hang-on-back filter?

Are you going to have a fish only tank or are you going to have live rock as well?

Whatever you decide, please do research the types of fish you want before you buy them and add them to the tank, you need to be aware of things like minimum aquarium size (some fish grow very big), feeding requirements, habitat (does it live in sand, like some wrasse do), compatibility (some fish are very aggressive, both with their own kind and/or other fish).

You will need an additional pump or two inside the tank to provide water movement, as in the ocean there is big water movement all the time with things like waves, swells and currents, unlike most fresh water fish that do not need pumps inside the tank.

If you have a 4" deep sand bed and live rock then that should deal with most of the filtration needed, but if you're going to stock the tank with a lot of fish then you may need to look at getting a protein skimmer some time down the line to assist in keeping the water clean.

Let us know what you've got in mind and we can help you out with better more direct info.

So to sum up, depending on the filter you have, what you will need initially are two additional pumps/powerheads for inside the tank and some sand and saltwater (both of which you can get from a clean beach at the Bluff).

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

...is this your Tank..? Sorry using phone and not doing a good job of it..:)
    Juwel Rio 180 Aquarium | Fish Tanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Mar 2012
  5. wito-zn

wito-zn Thread Starter

Hi Viper. The filter is a internal cannister filter that is both mechanical and biological filtration. I want to have a fish only tank and then at a later stage go for a live rock tank. What i am wanting to know is the lighting and filter that the tank comes standard with will be enough for a fish only tank.

Hi belindamotion. Yes that is the same tank.

Attached Files:

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yes, lighting is not an issue with fish. With regards to the filter, also yes but I would recommend replacing all sponges before adding salt water and then read their instructions on how to maintain their filter system with regards to cleaning and replacing the sponges, especially during the initial bacteria development stage. But don't add fish to cycle a marine tank. ;)

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
Recent Posts