JeboR760

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by JeboR760, 15 Nov 2014.

1. JeboR760

JeboR760

Hi Guys, I have a Jebo R760 half moon 60Lt tank and i want to convert it to marine. Is it possible? I have the following modification problems

1) current lighting is built into the roof unit... not suitable... if i remove the current roof can i get some kind of clip on or suspended LED lighting....? is LED lighting the best for corals....

2)Filtration unit isnt suitable so I would need a hang on filtration system or sump...same applies to skimmer etc.

3) i want real reef rock but its so expensive @ R200 a kg plus postage.. i was told i need 6 kgs (10% volume of tank) only problem is the JeboR760 doesnt really have a strong base - im not willing to risk it - i used to have lava rock which was extremely light but that store has closed down... northlands pets has a really cool artificial rock for R1000.00 is this good idea or overpriced?

4) substrate... why cant i just collect a load of sand out of ballito rockpool or similar.. lol...arganite wot wot is so expensive also.

Pls Help. Thanks in advance.

+27 83634 7797 Whastapp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Nov 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

Welcome to masa....but not good idea posting your telephone nr. You will get all sorts of weirdos calling you 3o'clock in the morning

4. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Lol, agree with dexter.
    You can go to the rock pools at low tide to collect sand.
    Real reef is really good quality, doesn't have any nasties.

5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Led would be best.
    Just get a good quality skimmer and do weekly water changes for filtration

6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

I'm not familiar with these tanks. Does it have a filtration chamber at the back?

7. JeboR760

JeboR760 Thread Starter

Filtration System

It has a filtration system built into the canopy (seperate from the roof just underneath the lights) but i know its not suitable. think its designed for freshwater but i really like the shape of the tank even if i just keep a few goldies or something. I would have to make a plan for filtration. so you saying i should collect sand from the ocean and clean it.... and get reef rock... is that the suggestion? how do I clean sand ive collected or can i just dump it in the tanks directly after collection.

8. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You can just dump the sand in.
    Real reef rock is a synthetic rock, @flappy sells it.
    Revolutionising Our Hobby! Real Reef Rock -your wild liverock alternative - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Mewik

Mewik

The filter can be used as it is. I would just run a tank that size with carbon, phos remover, live rock rubble and purigen in the filter tray. You can run the tank without a skimmer and just do a weekly water change.

The tank will work fine as a marine tank as long as u upgrade the light unit. I would suspect you would need to build a light yourself to fit the canopy.

For livestock i think it is too small for goldies. Maybe look at some gobies and inverts. If u put a sandbed in the gobies will burrow in it.

Real reef rock is good but being a premium product it naturally attracts a premium price. I haven't used it before but it looks awesome and at 200 a kg its not all that bad.

Recent Posts