Jebo Skimmer Clan

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Zombie Clam - no. Don't worry mate.

I too asked EXACTLY the same questions as you are doing now. I have unfortunately had to learn the hard way. I once ran my 2 metre tank on this Jebo Queen of mine, and a Red Sea down-draft airstone skimmer.

I have MAJOR MAJOR algae problems (have a look at the start of my "Old 2 meter tank thread"........

Then - I made changes - slowly but surely. I went through ALL the same stuff that we are warning all the newcomers here on MASA of.

And NO - of course we are not forcing you to do as we say. You are MORE than welcome to learn on your own.

It would then just be VERY unfortunate, that I have to guarantee you, that you (and any one else who wants to learn "on their own way") WILL come back to MASA, telling us that you are having similar problems with your tank, that we (I) once had.

So - we are just trying to ensure that you do not go through the same heart-ache as I did..... and go through the same amount of money wasted in the long run, as I did.

I probably wasted about R15k on CRAP equipment. Which was worthless in the end.

I also don't know why the "LFS" still sells these types of skimmers. One thing I CAN indeed tell you - WHY people buy them. They are cheap.....

As I stated in my post earlier on in this thread - this type of skimmer would be fine for a small tank, with FISH ONLY, and for a very few fish, at that...... As this type of skimmer would not be able to remove enough DOC's and POC's from the water, to ensure that the nutrient levels is low enough, to enable any one to replicate water conditions (most of the time) on the reefs, where the fish come from which we are trying to keep....

Remember what you are trying to do, by being a marine aquarist/reefkeeper:
You are TRYING to replicate nature. You are TRYING to replicate a small piece of the sea/ocean, in a tiny glass box, in your living room, office or room....

To enable you to successfully do that - you HAVE to be able to do one thing right:
That is to achieve a level of equilibrium w.r.t nutrients that YOU put into the tank, and the nutrients that YOU can remove from the water.....

The way that you can remove nutrients (exporting of nutrients), depends on your filtration system.

And it is 100% up to you, to try and put in the best filtration system that you can.

A skimmer is part of your filtration system.....

Singularity

Hmmm amper!
Reaction score
What boggles the mind is that if this was such a "hunk of junk" - why has everyone had a go at using them and why are they are so freely available (almost every LFS stocks them)? If it was so detrimental to ones system and so poor in performance, between the 1000's of people who are into reef systems, surely this product would have been stopped. Or am I just too stupid to understand something here??

This is simple, it is much easier to sell something that is cheap... And i am sure an lfs can see someone that doesnt want to spend 1k+ on a skimmer and then they just flog the Jebo. As is always the case, you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
I am not against good skimmer in any way, I am trying to figure out why it is that so many have to be sold cr@p before they can get their tanks running right...I am unfortunate not to have loads of cash at the moment so I have no choice but to run a Queen (similar to Jebo) until this darn recession shows a little love in the engineering industry and we can then get decent salaries again...but bottom line is we, those wihout tons of cash, almost feel forced becasue the "proper" skimmers are so expensive.

The question is, what did people use before these big skimmer became readily available? I am sure Jebo wasn't around way back in the days of "old school"...

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I understand exactly how you feel Zombie Clam. As I said - been there, done that. I started out 5 years. I was in the same boat as you.

So - IF you can only afford a Queen now, THEN SO BE IT..... Just take cognisance of what lifestock (and the amount that you keep as well) - that you can give the lifestock the absolute BEST chance that you can.

You can also "make up" for the skimmer, by looking at alternative filtration methods as well. To add in addition to your Jebo Queen. ie. Look algae scrubbers, and also increase your water changes (frequency and percentage).....

Singularity

Hmmm amper!
Reaction score
It is frequently the case, newbies who have made errors, maybe this skimmer is one of them, maybe not - it is maybe more opinion which governs the true answer, but the point being that if one gets something which they could afford when starting up is made to feel so badly embarassed that they begin lying about their systems and dictating what is not true to stop the embarassment which is put onto "newbies" by buying the incorrect products right off the bat.

This is like a learning curve, everyone buys that cheap piece of eqiupment when they first start, i also bought a jebo and boyu skimmer before i switched to a bh-100 wich actually started to do something. And if people get embarrassed about a cheap piece of equipmnet and feel shy about it, internet forums on the whole isnt the best place for them :p (talking about forums in general not masa in particular)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The question is, what did people use before these big skimmer became readily available? I am sure Jebo wasn't around way back in the days of "old school"...

Actualy before all the rest there was JEBO:thumbup:

What size is you tank ?[/QUOTE]

Before "fancy skimmers" - people was not VERY successful with keeping marines alife for long. AND - they were RARELY ANY corals.

People did water changes TWICE a week - and changed HALVE of their tank's volumes.

I will try and see if I can get some "old school" tanks. BTW: A marine book that I have from 1981, shows a TUNZE SKIMMER.... not a Jebo skimmer.... a "old school TUNZE"......

Are you talking pre-1981, Trev?

Reaction score
uhmmmmmm let me think,:p

when I started looking into marines I saw the expensive skimmers and then realize, nope hobby for the rich, will stay at fresh water, then the urge for marine grows bigger and saw the jebo skimmers on my order list (own a pet shop) all I may say;), and said wow cheap going to order them, in sump skimmer from A supl (jebo), wow got it and build my first sump, and was that a piece of crap skimmer, then ordered the hang on ones from different supl. and was happy with that, then started to loose fish and use a ocean of marine salt and drained the whole country of water supply to get RO water:p just to do a lot of water changes, well I was the pro in marines here at my shop, going to say it straight ( I was fu*** stupid) and then start to read up and joined this wonder full site "MASA" Ok the skimmers is expensive, well busy setting up my new tank and going to order a TS3 or TS 4 or before I'm going to make a tread and ask what skimmer should I use, and see what the members say and choose from that, I rather will save money for 3-4 months to buy the skimmer as just to fit a cheap one and say I will do it later, Out my stuppidity I learned to wait before do and the word later is never:p, rather stare at a empty tank or put some sticker on the glass look like a tang and some rock and angles as to loose the real thing, My tanks looks clean, cristal clean and skimmers is skimming but they are small, why would any one go over to expensive skimmers if your tank is so clear, well before MASA I wouldent do that, but by reading the treads and learning I relized what it's about. And I will still sell the cheap skimmers and will tell the customer what it's about and rather loose a sale then loose a client, and no, I'm not rich, to own a petshop you will not get rich, but have to loose 30 to 40 K on a perfect setup to show a client and to advice a client even if this setup will take me a year to setup and eat bred and palony the rest of the year I will do it. My dads words " goed koop goed is duur koop" oh and " play max on slots machine you will win bigger":p Why cheap products will never go out of the marked is due to quick turn over for manufacturer, And I know, to save some times it does not work due to the stuff is geting more expensive then. Well nothing wrong with second hand stuff, but again, you can pay more if it stop working! Rather ask the LPS to lay buy an item for that retail price, ok every lay buy has there terms, you skip a month you loose your money, for a LFS to keep stuff means to spend more to get stuff and get cash to buy more stuff. Clients then have to commit to the terms, And if you are serious to start marines then its no problem.

What I try to say is, every one have to make mistakes to learn
You can use cheap product but have a limit in a certain range
And never buy by impulse and rather research before buying.
And what I truly can say, seen it few times, rich ppl waste more money due to not worry then some one with no money and rather try to get it right. ( no offense to the rich;)) but they know it's true.

Buy the way, I Lay Buy a 1000M(1x150 MH with 2x T5 and moonlight) Light unit today, just to show the poor ppl:p I'm not rich it cost in your currency R 1700.00, yip cheap, china import, from suppl, but if it last 3 months and exploded, it's my problem, then I will learn another lesson, It's my choice.

Just try to keep your fish and corral happy then you will be happy;)

Reaction score
Actualy before all the rest there was JEBO:thumbup:

What size is you tank ?

Before "fancy skimmers" - people was not VERY successful with keeping marines alife for long. AND - they were RARELY ANY corals.

People did water changes TWICE a week - and changed HALVE of their tank's volumes.

I will try and see if I can get some "old school" tanks. BTW: A marine book that I have from 1981, shows a TUNZE SKIMMER.... not a Jebo skimmer.... a "old school TUNZE"......

Note that far back but in the nineties Jebo's were the skimmer
Are you talking pre-1981, Trev?[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Ok here are some pics I took of the Jebo while it was at work making some cream....
19794bbe480863998.jpg

19794bbe48333e789.jpg

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Not bad Trev - how many fish do you have in your tank?

[EDIT] Have a look at the following pics:
1454960eb8cd16cd.jpg

14549676e500a45f.jpg

14549676e9743ae1.jpg

1454960e96ecf91c.jpg

1454960e9f26699a.jpg

(these last 3 pics were a few days after I installed the skimmer)....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Also used a Jebo 182II before purchasing a better skimmer.
Pics when skimmer was in action during the tank's cycling duration.

This thing was suffering and water was always yellow!
Not such a bad skimmer for the price, but still it is definitely better to buy a proper skimmer. Rather use this skimmer, than not having one at all!

20734cb941ccbd299.jpg

20734cb941df356ba.jpg

20734cb941f1aa9bd.jpg

Top Bottom