Jebo R338 questions

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by andygold, 25 Jul 2012.

1. andygold

andygold

Hi,
    First post here. Did a search but couldn't find what I'm looking for. This forum seems to be the place for experts in regards to Jebo tanks!!!

I'm in New York USA. I've had Marine tanks (10 gallon to 70 gallon) on and off since the early 1970's. I currently have a 3 gallon FW Marineland acrylic tank with filtration in the hood +Biowheel and it's just too small for my wants! My bioload in the tank is quite high and I have supplemental filtration inside to help, but it's time to move up to a somewhat larger (glass) tank.

Jebo AFAIK is not a well known brand here in the US. Even though I've been into fish keeping for over 40 years I just heard of Jebo today. The R338 is going for around $90US ($767 ZAR if I figured it right) here while the Coralife/Oceanic and JBJ AIO tanks cost over twice that amount (yes I realize that they are marine tanks with AIO filtration and better lighting.;)) So, it has greatly piqued my curiosity!!! I'm looking to use it for FW livebearers, a corydora, and one or two Apple/Mystery Snails.

I went looking at the few US sites that sell this tank and they have little to no info on it. I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my many questions.

1) What is the filter's flow rate?
    2) Any issues with leaky seams?
    3) Are there any other things that one can typically expect from this tank? Such as noisy pumps, or short-lived, brittle parts, or pieces that wear out long before they should?
    4) Are the light bulbs a standard size, or Jebo specific?
    5) I couldn't find a breakdown description or picture of the filtration system itself. Does the powerhead shoot water out of that clear tube, through the small drill holes, onto the filter floss? Is the floss solely a layer of fabric, or is it welded to a plastic box that holds carbon, for example? Is there a way to add your own carbon into some sort of holder, or are you stuck buying the Jebo carbon/filter pad (if that is what the filter actually uses?).
    6) It appears from picture that the powerhead has a outlet in the tank. Is that what I'm seeing, or is that for you to add aeration to the water flowing into the powerhead?
    7) Typical consumables such as the floss and carbon...how do they stack up price-wise in comparison to the competition?
    7) Has anyone here attempted to make a false back wall and run it as an AIO?
    8) Anything else that I should be awre of regarding this particular tank?

My thanks in advance for any responses about your experiences!!!:thumbup:

andy

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Hi Andy

Ive been running R338 for about 1.5years now. So Ill try answer your questions as best I can

As I said before the bulbs where my only issue, but im planning on doing a mod to change it to LED soon.

Hope that helps

4. Nabzo

Nabzo

hi as i see lot threads of jebo and pics but i never do see them with skimmers why is that ?

5. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

I had a bubble magus qq skimmer on mine. But mostly cause they are so small a water change is easier

6. Nabzo

Nabzo

if you do a water change how much will you take out and put in ?

7. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Before my skimmer used to 10ltrs but I made sure the temps & ph was the same before doing it otherwise you will shock the system

8. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

And the salinity

9. Nabzo

Nabzo

i see . thankx for answering my questions ,

Recent Posts