Jebo Marine Tank (250L).

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dean76, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Dean76

Dean76

Would like to find out if this is a good type of tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you got a photo or a link?

4. Pugsly

Pugsly

I have the jebo 2m marine tank it works after a bit of DIY and the cabinet was a pain - had to interconnect 3 sumps do to the supports in it.

I have seen the new boyu range of tanks and marine tanks - the cabinets are completey open, have a steel stand built into the cabinet and is far cheaper than the jebo but much better quality. Go for the boyu instead!

5. Dean76

Dean76 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and info. I am thinks of having a tank made up for me.

6. Pugsly

Pugsly

no worries - eitherway you will get fun out of either

7. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Not a Jebo fan at all. Firstly you need to DIY quite a bit to make it work. Secondly the glass of the tank is hardened glass which can break very unexpectetly. Just my views. I had a Jebo and sold it when I converted to marine.

8. Tom

Tom

Have a tank & sump made, it will be much better in the long run. I have a Jebo and its taken a long time to get the tank to work as a softy & fish tank.

9. Dean76

Dean76 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and help. Will look in to it.

10. naughtydragons

naughtydragons

jebo as marine

Hi, we have a jebo 240L and started to convert it to a marine tank in May. We are battling! The filter that comes with the jebo is not sufficent and the space to add more pipes and tubes is inadequite. DIY is a must! We added a 1200 tetratech canister filter and it cleared the water beautifully. But then we still have nitrates. Protien skimmer is a problem (as I said, no space for more pipes) and we have the thing sitting on the top of the tank because I dont have an overflow, so we are fussing with that as well. I would not recommend a jebo for a marine tank.

On that note, does anyone have any advice on how we can deal with our protien skimmer and a sump/ deep sand bed. If you have overcome the "jebo" issue yourself, please share with us. Now thinking of "mounting" the ps to the side of the tank as a "hang on". What about putting the dsb in the jebos original filter tray and useing a small pump for water movement. It is only 6cm deep and 1.2m long. Think it will be enough to get anaerobic denitrification?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

11. onepenny

onepenny

Hi I'm looking for a Jebo tank stockist in the Gauteng area. Any ideas?

12. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi, I'll PM you the name of the LFS that stocks Jebo, but please keep in mind what most people on this thread already said.

I had a Jebo before I converted to Marine and my conclusion is as follow:

• They are very pretty with the bow front glass, but this makes them much more expensive! A 1 meter Jebo tank will cost you around the same amount of money as a brand new standard 5 foot marine tank with overflow box and sump!!
    • The glass is made of tampered glass which in my opinion is to risky with it being able to burst for no reason at all. (Remember that you cannot drill tampered glass)
    • These tanks are build and designed for freshwater only and one has to really DIY this tank to try and make it work to keep marines
    • The width of these tank are only 40cm, making it very difficult for scaping!
    • The light unit and hood are closed up entirely making it imposible to fit MH lights in there! Even if you go the T5 route the hood is extremely close to the water survice! Once again serious DIY needs to take place.
    • The stand is also broken up in compartments meaning that you wont have enough space for a proper sump, unless you do some serious DIY.
    Look, i'm not trying to change your mind about what type of tank you should go for and know that Jebo's are pretty with the bow glass in front. I'm only trying to make you aware of the facts because these tanks are not designed for marines (Don't let the sticker on the tank fool you)

I also wanted to convert my Jebo to marine and came across some reefers that successfully did this, but it is a whole lot of work and carefull planning and frustration that needs to go into this. In my opinion just not worth it!!

No offence to the Jebo owners out there!!

13. onepenny

onepenny

Jebo Tanks

Hi Tiger

Many thanks for the detailed info on Jebo tanks. I have been investigating in the local shops and am re-thinking based on what you and they have said. I'm a novice at tropical but don't want to invest in something that isn't going to work!

Regards

Onepenny

14. naughtydragons

naughtydragons

jebo marine

Dear onepenny,

my jebo is absolutley beautiful - when I can see it through my massive headache! As everyone has said it is DIY all the way.
    If I could do it again I would not use a Jebo for my marine. Leave it for your freshwater fish.
    In the end you spend a fortune on "stuff" to make it work - and marines are not a poormans hoby to start with.
    It can be done but my advise to you would be dont go into the woods!

15. onepenny

onepenny

onepenny

Hi Naughtydragon.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a very smallscale operator and have decided to use the Jebo for freshwater fish and keep the Nano cube (91 gal) for the marines. I think that is the answer - plan to get my fish this weekend. Hooray!

Recent Posts