Jebo Lighting

Nick R

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
hey, this may be a stupid question, but i have a jebo tank, hood and sump.

it has 4 T8's in the hood, can i put 2 T5's in there and take out 2 T8's?

would that make it okay for corals?

It would make it "better" for corals. "Ok" depends on what corals you are talking about...

You would need to change the ballasts and the connectors. Other than that you might want to add reflectors if it's possible in that hood. If you put in bulbs like ATI or something then it should be "ok" for almost all corals.

so total you will have 4 tubes - 2XT5s and 2XT8s. if you change the housings as rory said - this should be good. BTW what's going to be blue -1XT8 and 1XT5

Hi Shan / Nico:

I would be better to have either the 2 T8's the blue/actinics, and the 3 T5's the white (either 10000K or 13000K), as the T5's are "High Output" globes where the T8's are "Normal Output" globes..

I agree with Jacques, use the T8's as blue tubes and squeeze in as many white T5's in there as you can.

Ideally it would best to remove all of the T8's and replace them with T5's.

I have a Jebo style tank. I took out the 3 T8 fittings and installed 2 24w t5's.... It was a major improvement for my corals. It is well worth it. :thumbup:

Just beware, it is a huge mission to remove the old fittings... but not impossible. I had to drill into my hood to install the new lights and reflectors...

Just me 2c worth... I would loos the canopy.. and replace it with a suspended light unit hanging from the ceiling.... then you can go the MH route... And you wont have heat issues. Plus an open top tank provided a different view...

i will post pics tomorrow of the jebo hood, maybe you all could help me with the T5 conversion

ballasts are about R150-R200ea and tubes R200-R300ea depending on make and size, and don't forget the end caps, about R45ea

how much do t5's cost?
depending on what brand,and length of bulbs.ATI's and Geisiman are excellent bulbs to go for,well worth the money

Hi there, I have also modified my Jebo`s hood. Just add 150mm fans as the hood gets very hot.

Last edited:
Here is my old thread, the hood will be different to yours.

In retrospect I would not do it again, but rather get pendants with better reflectors.

But I hope your retrofit goes better than mine, ;)

Here is my old thread, the hood will be different to yours.

In retrospect I would not do it again, but rather get pendants with better reflectors.

But I hope your retrofit goes better than mine, ;)

what did you use to cat the holes in the hood?

Back
Top Bottom