Jebao DC-12000 pump for a pond?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by papache, 13 Feb 2014.

1. papache

papache

Hi everyone!
    I am new on this forum and I am building my first pond. I am aware this forum is about aquariums but I guess (hopefully rightfully) that the problematic of a pond are the same. I still need some advice regarding the most suitable pump to use for my project. DC pumps appear very attractive to me: high volume and low energy consumption plus the ability to control the flow. I see that many people use the JEBAO DC-12000 on their aquarium but I can't pick up anywhere people mentioning that they use such a pump for a pond. This pump seems just perfect to me but I would appreciate to have your opinions on this.

This is the design specs of my project:
    - I have 2 (outdoor) basins, one of 4000l and the second one of 1000l.
    - They are linked together by a 2 meter long stream.
    - And there is a 2m high waterfall falling into the first basin.

The water therefore circulate from the waterfall, down into the first basin, further down via the stream to the second basin and returned back to the waterfall by the pump.
    The second basin is used for a natural filtration system only, using gravels and aquatic plants. I only use 1 pump (the water is pumped from a settling chamber, which is fed by gravity).
    Basically I need a pump that can deliver about 6000 to 8000 liters at 2m head and I want this pump to be as low energy as possible, less than 100 Watts. The JEBAO DC-12000 seems just right if it delivers what it says. Hope this treat fits the forum and some people will be able to help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

Think @RiaanP runs one that size. I have the smaller one and am more than pleased with flow and power consumption

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm running the 12000.

Not to sure on the cord lengths. As they have a controller and power supply as well. Looks like a laptop charger. It is a nice pump.

the 2m height of the waterfall, would exclude the depth the pump will be in the water? Not sure how much, but with the head height you will not have 12000L/h delivered at the top of the waterfall. A lot less.

Maintenance on the pump will be a bit of an issue, need to pull it out everytime leaves fall into the dam, unless you got a good enough strainer preventing leaves and small sticks from entering the pump.

Other options would be a Reeflow Super Dart, delivering 13500L/h but at 135W. But it would be a lot better option.

Note one general design flow with ponds. Especially if you add koi or goldfish later. You should not pump water from the dam to the filters. It should be dam, overflow gravity to filters with pump in the lowest last point. No point in smashing the leaves into small little pieces, then you hope your filtration can sort it out.

Should be other way around. If you can add a vortex settlement chamber first, very nice. Then you start with those big curler type of filter material, working it to finer and finer mats and material until the last chamber.

Good luck with the build.

5. papache

papache Thread Starter

Thanks RiaanP. Indeed I will do some filtering after the settlement chamber before pumping water out. My 2 m head is measured from settlement chamber water level (which is the lower pond level), to top of waterfall. So that will effectively be the height to which the pump will send the water up. I will loose a bit of power too in fittings and pipe length but not much because my design is quite optimized from that point of view.

If I get 6000l/h at the waterfall I will be happy. However, I did a simple test recently with a BOYU JNB10000, pumping water straight up out of a bucket to 2 meters high, and it was supposed to deliver 8000l/h at that height but only gave me half of this figure! I had the impression that the Jebao and Boyu pumps might actually be kind of similar design and if one is lying about its performance the other might as well do...

Of course, I am also looking at price tag with my choice of pump. How's the Reeflow compared to the Jebao price wise? Do you you know who retail the Jebao pumps in Cape Town?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Reeflow is supported bu Aquarium Depot, so all the pet shops down in Cape Town having their stock should be able to help you

Not that all DC pumps, if you put to much back pressure on the pump, then it will pump slower but use less power. They market is as a feature, throttle the outlet and you safe some power. But note, they are not great on back pressure.

Jabae you can get online from Jungle Aquatics. They deliver country wide. Not sure who else have them. Look at the sponsors page.

I will go with the Reeflow. Looks like a smaller swimming pool pump. It will deliver a lot more water than the DC at that head height.

7. papache

papache Thread Starter

So, all DC pumps will be weak on back pressure, if I'm with you... That's a pity because it also means we can't trust their flow charts, which want to make us believe they can deliver a higher volume for a given head than they actually can. Which makes the task of selecting a pump impossible on this ground. Reeflo seems indeed a great pump but also costs more than double the price of the Jebao. Any other pumps (cheaper) I could look at besides the Reeflow? One that will effectively give me at least 6000l/h at 2 meters high with 100 wattage max.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

not sure what the current price is on a Reeflow super Dart

all pumps, you have to look at that graph on the box.

But that graph does not take into account any elbows or other restrictions. Some other outdoor pumps will also be available with longer cords. Up to 10m. That is another consideration.

Best is to shop around a bit tomorrow. Try the local sponsors in Cape Town. Sure somebody would be able to help you out. Phone up David at Perky Pets. I do not know the other sponsors in Cape Town that well.

Recent Posts