Japie

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by japie, 9 Jun 2010.

1. japie

japie

Hi Hennie,

So kom ons dan weer bymekaar uit, soos jy reeds weet is ek nog steeds in die baai en vang nog steeds my vis in die Goukou in die somer. het ongeveer 'n maand gelede my nuwe tank begin, ongeveer 30% van die vorige ekosisteem oorgeplaas. Alles het goed verloop maar nou let ek op dat ek 'n klein kolletjie rooi(slimy) alge het.

My toestand van my H2o is goed, geen,Nitrite,Aminiac of nitrate nie, ek gebruik reen water as aanvulling en see water as Water changes.

Wat stel jy voor.

Dankie maat. Se my waar bly jy nou.

Japie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Japie - if you don't mind (en ek is ook Afrikaans) I would prefer to do this in English. Hennie does not manage to be online THAT often, unfortunately - due to his work....

To answer your question - you are experiencing cyanobacteria. It's not algae at all.....

This is usually due to one (or a combination of) the following:
    1) lack of water flow
    2) lack of dissolved oxygen
    3) usually: localized phosphates and nitrates (being leaching from the sand or rock where the cyanobacteria is evident)

Hope this gives you SOME idea of where to look....

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Don't use rain water for evaporation top-ups, there can be a lot of nasties in there. Please do yourself a favour and use reverse osmosis water with a TDS of 5 or less. If you cannot get this from a petshop then I'd suggest you invest in a RO unit.

5. Pete

Pete

Agree with jacquesb and tobes on this one but you could start of by doing as Tobes has suggested with top up water

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Japie,

lekker on van jou te hoor, en WELKOM hier by ons :thumbup:

Just to keep everything understandable for our international friends, I will respond further in English...

I live in Bloemfontein.

Regarding the tank in general, and the cyano in particular, I would like to make the following comments:

1. I see from your other threads that you are running two cannister filters, and that you are using water from the Goukou river estuary. Canister filters are not the best type of filtration for marine tanks, and will contribute to an increase in your nitrate levels over time (although initially the readings could remain low because the pest algae and cyano would be removing it from the water as they grow). Living close to the ocean, and with pretty pristine beaches around, you could of course reduce the nitrates by doing frequent, large water changes (say 20% per week), but it is far easier to just use the correct filtration. I would suggest that you do some reading/research here on MASA regarding deep live sand bed filtration, live rock filtration, and running a refugium with lots of algae (or so-called algae turf scrubbers, also known as ATS filters). Personally, I would recommend a combination of a deep live sand bed, some live rock and a refugium tank - combined with a decent protein skimmer, of course.

2. Regarding the estuary water, I would strongly urge you to rather collect water directly from the surf, as far away from any river as possible. When I lived in Riversdale I always collected my water from Jongensfontein, north-east of the caravan park, for what it's worth.

3. I agree with Tobes that rain water could contain lots of nasties, but I do believe that rain water collected from clouds moving in from the ocean in your area should be pretty good. Just don't collect the water running off your roof - rather put up a clean sheet of plastic (PVC) which you use only for this purpose, and then take down again after use (thus keeping it clean). Of course, it would still be much safer to use proper RO filtered water, and a RO unit is not too expensive these days...

4. Your tank looks be be pretty heavily stocked. Of course it is possible to keep a heavily stocked tank going for a long time, especially with regular large water changes, but in my experience it is better in the long run to not over-stock your tank (especially with larger fish such as the Moorish Idols and Coachmen). I know that you are saving these fish from certain death by removing them from the ocean (for those that don't know, the sea water temperature around Stilbaai drops too low during winter, and tropical fish who have been washed so far south during the summer invariably die from the cold during the winter months), but it does not help if they then die in your tank due to over-crowding...

Hope these comments help. Just remember that whatever changes you make, make them SLOWLY - only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

PS. Does Henk and Marie still live in Stilbaai, and if so, do they still keep marines?

Hennie

7. japie

japie Thread Starter

Dankie , appriciate it but, my waterflo is 6000ltp/h, so that can't be the problem,how can I get my 02 level up?

How can I get rit of the C bacteria

Thanks again for the help.

8. Reef Maniac

It's a new tank (even if you used some of the old water...), so bacterial and algal blooms are normal, and to be expected. Having said that, I think that we covered it pretty well in the previous posts:

• Stop using estuarine water, and use fresh sea water from an unpolluted beach for partial water changes.
    • Stop using rain water, and use proper RO water for evaporation top-ups
    • Reduce your bio-load (less larger fish).
    • Get rid of your cannister filters and use a combination of a deep live sand bad, live rock and a refugium or algae filter.
    • Use a large, efficient protein skimmer rated for at least double the volume of your tank.
    By the way, 6000 l/h water flow in your tank is actually not very much. It would help, though, to aim the power heads/pump outlets somewhat to the surface of the tank, as this will result in the water circulating from the bottom towards the surface, dragging the freshly oxygenated surface water down into the tank.

Hennie

9. japie

japie Thread Starter

Thanks Hennie,

Japie

10. japie

japie Thread Starter

Hi Hennie,

Thanks for all the info, Henk and Marie are still living in in S Baai , there Tank is doing well, they send there regards.

Thanks again for the tips.

Japie

11. jacquesb

Japie - keep us updated on your progress, please?

12. japie

japie Thread Starter

Hennie, Must I do no cleaning at all of the DSB or can I clean the top of the sand without desurbing more than a one cm? As you remember I had 2 coachmen in the tank you saw 6 years ago, they are still doing fine, the leather corals are nearly filling the tank now, in the past 7years I had no deaths or any problem. My redings on the moment are Amoniac Small trace has bean like this for the past years, no nitrite and only trace of Nitrate. For all those years I never did any cleaning of the sandbed. Running the new tank (8 weeks Old) on DSB, Sumpfilter with coral,charcoal and bioballs( all the same exept I had no sump on the old tank, just a small tickle filter.

Ok Maat

13. jacquesb

Japie - from my side: NO. Don't touch the DSB!

14. japie

japie Thread Starter

Maak so, thanks

15. Reef Maniac

Agreed :thumbup:

Recent Posts