January Photo Competition

Discussion in 'Photography' started by viper357, 7 Jan 2010.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Happy 2010 greetings everyone. :)

Welcome to our first photo competition of the year.

Following the enjoyment and quality of the photos MASA got for the 2010 calendar competition we will be running a small monthly competition. Leslie, Tobes, and Crispin are going to be the selection panel with some invited help from some of the professional photographers we have on MASA. The competition will run from January to June and each month we will choose 2 winning photo's to go into the calendar for 2011.

We will also try to get the ‘pro panel’ to do some constructive criticism of the three best so that we can all learn what makes for a good picture.

IT IS OF EXTREME IMPORTANCE THAT WE GET THE HIGH DEFINITION PHOTO FOR PRINTING. WITHOUT THAT THE PHOTO WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Please don’t submit a photo unless you have the high definition stored as well.

Each month will be themed with a wild card entry for each month. That means if you have a really good pic of something marine related that is not themed then by all means submit it and the ‘wild card’ entry will allow for that.

We are looking for great pics. So if you are good with post shoot editing then by all means use it. If you don’t have a big macro lens or a fancy pants camera, don’t worry, take the shots and submit them pics, they will be judged on context of subject as much as on clarity and focus points. This isn’t a photo comp for pro photographers, it’s a fun way to submit the pics you’ve taken, it will help if the pic is in focus so those iphone cameras aren’t likely to cut it though! Do what you can to make the best possible pics, but the judging will be done by the panel each month and the decisions are final.

Have fun guys. :)

The rules:
    • Each member may only submit 3 photo's each month
    • All photo's must be your own
    • You must keep the original full sized photo to be emailed to us if you win
    • NO date/time stamps on the photo's
    • You may make minor adjustments to your photo's using photoshop or other editing software, as long as the photo still looks natural
    As an added bonus this year we would like to thank Henk Hugo from Peckoltia Enterprises - Importers of OmegaOne in South Africa who has very generously offered to be the official sponsor of this competition and has offered up a prize for each winner comprising of 3 tubs of Omega One food.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

The theme for this month is Anemone's and clownfish. But not exclusively anemone's hosting clownfish, as we all know clowns tend to adopt many strange things, so if your clownfish are mothering a bunch of zoa's, we would love to see it.

This thread will be used exclusively for photo's, any discussions or questions, please use this thread - http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=14679 Thanks. :)

Last edited: 7 Jan 2010
  4. crispin

crispin

great intro there viper, you write beautifully, i couldnt have said that better myself :)
    it sounds like a great comp and clowns/nennies are a fun theme.

we will be looking at good close ups and wide angles of the theme.

You are welcome to submit pics that have been shown on here before (hennie i recall you have a few beauts) so long as we havent used them for the callender before:)

i really urge you guys to try get behind this comp, we will do all we can to make it fun and interactive, while also a little challenmging so that you can learn and develop your skills as photographers.

I have had mail back from three very good photographers that they will help with constructive crit as to what made a winning pic good and or possible areas where the photo could be improved and why. this way we can all learn from it and hopefully improve out skills as well as getting top shots for the callender for next year.

NOTE guys, we are aiming at bedding the callender down earlier this year so admin have the pics by June and can use the time to work on logistics and layout to make it that much better. So TWO winning pics will be choosen each month for the callender. If i understand viper correctly :)

5. viper357

[​IMG]

6. viper357

[​IMG]

7. magman

magman

looks like that nemmie is having a smoke....:lol:

8. crispin

crispin

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

[​IMG]

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

OK, time is moving on, and I'm not sure if I will have a chance to take any more photos before the end of the month, so here is my first submission (thanks to Ross for his positive crit in the open thread :biggrin:)

[​IMG]

EXIF details - Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mk II; Lens: Canon 70 - 200mm f/2.8 + 25mm extension tube II; Shutter speed: 1/100 sec; Aperture: f/3.5; ISO: 800; no flash

Hennie

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Not sure if the comp has already closed off for the month - but here is one final post from me. I'd like to get some close up's, but didn't have the time yet.

[​IMG]

12. Broder

Broder Mudshark

[​IMG]

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

[​IMG]

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Jan 2010
  15. ml

ml

winning foto

Hi all nice nennie with clown
    [​IMG]

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OK - I am not sure that this pic will really be a major contender - but here goes in any ways:
    [​IMG]

17. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. reefcraze

reefcraze

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  19. crispin

crispin

OK i am extending this comp till monday afternoon as three people have asked to submitt over the weekend and they cant get them in on time.

Its great to see so many good pics in here, keep them comming. The standard of this comp seems to be pretty darn high :)

20. viper357

Only 6 people with clownfish? Come on guys, there's gotta be more than 6 people on this forum that has an anemone or a clownfish? Load those pics up and win some free food. :D

• Remember that 2 pics will be chosen for the calendar and ----->>>> I've also decided that one more pic will also receive a commendation and a prize as well. (this one is for the amateurs (like me) that use cellphone camera's and point and shoot camera's) :):):) So there is no excuse for anyone not to post a photo.

21. Darryl

Darryl

I hope I'm not too late for entry........

[​IMG]

Recent Posts