Jager heater question

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Tony, 30 May 2009.

1. Tony

Tony

I bought a 300W heater the other day. I've historically run three X 3200W heaters to keep the tank warm. I now only have the Jager and another one just till I'm comforteable with the heaters.

Now my Question. Seeing as the heater is only 300W and it rated for up to 1000L at a room temp of 21 degrees, is the heater more economical than three heaters or because of the size (and it's big) this heater will use the same power because it's sixe allows it to warm more water?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boendoe

Boendoe

I would think so, normally the bigger heater's surface area is bit bigger than the smaller one's.

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I'm sure there must be a typo somewhere...

The larger surface area would allow for a more efficient heat transfer, and that could make it a bit more economical, but the only way to know for sure would be to record the "on" time of the single heater vs. that of the three heaters, and then multiply both results with the Wattage to obtain Watt/hour.

Keep in mind that it's much safer to have two or three lower wattage heaters, rather than one large wattage heater. Should one of the lower wattage heaters fail "off", the others will still add heat to the tank, and the temperature drop will not be as quick or as severe (and hopefully you will notice it in time...) as when the single heater fails. also, if a lower Wattage heater fails "on", it won't have enough power to raise the temperature too high either, whilst the single high-wattage heater could boil the tank.

Hennie

5. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Thanks Hennie. I still have another heater running with it as I'm scared one fails and leaves me with a tank full of dead creatures.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Good idea, I run two 300w Jagers, just in case. I also don't run them on there own temp. controller, in case that fails and boils the tank.

7. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

How do you run them Warren on a controller?

8. brentnorm

brentnorm

Hi Warr. I also run 2-300w Jagers hut have never really contemplated a heater failing on "on" Where would one get such a controller.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Power controller, with a separate temperature probe. A little pricey, but still cheaper than all the cost of all your fish and corals.

Remember Carl's crash, all cause a heater switched on and wouldn't switch off.

10. brentnorm

brentnorm

Can you recomend a make? Do you just turn the heater up full and let the controller do it's work?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yeah, basically the heater is set at 20°C and let the high voltage relays do the job.

I made the controllers myself (or should say my company ):whistling:

The temp probe is the expensive part.

I would say the whole setup with 2 relays and one temp. probe is around R 1,600.00

One thing you have to do from time to time is calibrate the probe, which you can't do with most heaters.

12. brentnorm

brentnorm

Anything commercially available?

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, the temperature controller (and pH, ORP, etc.) which I use, discussed in this thread: Using industrial controllers for a marine aquarium - Measuring Equipment

Contact Sean Groves of IQ Instruments in Randburg for a quote - tell him Hennie Landman referred you, and that he should give you a good price :)

PM me for his phone number, if you cannot find it.

Hennie

14. JP

JP

Carl's predator tank got cooked with a 800W titanium body heater that reverted back to default setting, being 40 degrees C.... the water was literally boiling the next morning, with steam coming off the water surface....

15. brentnorm

brentnorm

Thanks Hennie. Really appreciate it.

Recent Posts