JacquesB New (old) Reeftank - total water volume +-1500 litre

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by jacquesb, 14 Nov 2009.

1. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi all -

OK - After everything that happened, I thought that I can now bear to lift my chin up, and start a new thread on my newly redone 2 meter reef tank.

Here's a FTS to start off this thread:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Great stuff JB :thumbup: we are with you.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Thread Starter Retired Moderator

I still have a lot to do - ie, make the wiring neat, get a huge lot corals again....

OK - firstly, a little bit of history (what happened that last 6 weeks or so)....

As many know - I moved house. During the move, I used one full day, just to move my 2 meter tank and it's inhabitants....

Unfortunately, this ended up in a bit of a tragedy..... I ended up losing ALL my anemone's (even my most beautiful and prized heteractis magnifica), all my corals, and all my other invertebrates (except for my hermit crabs)....

I deducted that this was because of the difference in the water temperature - and too rapid changing water temperature..... The weather changed all of a sudden to very cold from very warm, while we moved. This caused the temperature of the water in the containers where I had my corals/anemone's in, to drop rapidly.

And when I put the lifestock into the new holding tanks, I think that the warmer water shocked them.

And then - to top everything off, a few days later - the tank's water temperature was around degrees (because I did not yet have a fan connected to the tank, and the weather as exceptionally hot that day in the Cape - 35 degrees celsius).....

I think that this was the final straw. So - all my corals, anemone's and clam died....

BUT - ok - that is enough bad news. Next post I will put some technical details up of my tank....

5. jacquesb

Many thanks Nemo's Janitor. I really appreciate it.

OK - here goes:
    Display tank dimensions:
    2000mm wide x 700mm high x 600mm deep (front-to-back)
    That equats to exactly 839.85 litres of water. Minus +-40 litres for the little bit of rock that I have in my display and the sand = so - DT volume being 800 litres of water

Then:
    My filtration system consists of:
    1 x Bubble Magus BM-260 external skimmer, with 2 x Aquabee 2000/l recirculating pumps (sucking a total of 1400 litres of air per hour.
    6 x 1 metre tanks - as my sump - these contain:
    = about half a cubic metre of chaetomorpha
    = about 80 kg's of live rock
    = 2 x 1 metre by 60cm by 15cm DSB's
    These 6 tanks have a total water volume of +-800 litres of water.....

I have a HUGE mother of a return pump: A SPECK 90/10 Porpoise swimming pool pump, using 450 watt of energy.
    This pump supplies water at (the rated volume) 200 gallons of water per MINUTE (not per hour). That is 500 liters per minute.
    Now - that is 757 litres per minute. If you take the reducers into account of the piping (I go from 50mm to 32mm), and the distance of the pipes, and the number of bends, then I lose roughly 50 gallons per minute - giving me roughly 150 gallons of water flow, per minute - that is: 567.75 litres per minute of water flow.....
    Equating to: 34065 litres per hour...

So - My return is already giving me a HUGE amount of water flow in my tank.
    That allowed me to remove a LOT of pumps from my tank. So - currently, I have the following other power-heads in my tank, just to randomize the water:
    3 x 5000 litre per hour SunSun pumps..... I am still going to add one more -
    Which should give me a total of 54065 litres per hour of water flow.... which I think is ample at this stage.

I have added playsand as a sand-bed into my tank - the sand bed is +-5 to 7cm deep. I opted not to go for a DSB in tank again at this stage.

I also did not want a lot of live rock in my tank again - so, I only have about 18kg's worth of man-made bio-rock in the tank, and +-5kg's of live rock.

Today I got me a really decent piece of Fiji Live rock (1.9kg's) costing me R330 for the piece. The amazing thing of this piece of live rock, it is nearly covered with some type of coral. It also has star polyps on it.

6. jacquesb

OK - here are some pics of my filtration systems:
    Skimmer:
    [​IMG]

Calcium Reactor:
    [​IMG]

Sump: (all 6 tanks of it):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My monster return pump:
    [​IMG]

7. jacquesb

Lastly - some pics with the metal halides switched on:
    FTS:
    [​IMG]

Left hand side:
    [​IMG]

Centre:
    [​IMG]

Right hand side:
    [​IMG]

8. jacquesb

OK - any comments? Please don't flake me too much......

I used about 800 litres of my old tank's water, and another +-800 litres of new water (partly directly fetched from the sea, and partly from the 2 Oceans aquarium).....

Oh yes - I also have about 8kg's worth of zeolites in the sumps - and I dose bacteria once every 3 days or so...

9. Jaak

Jaak

Looking friggin good jacques!!!!

10. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

looking very nice man:thumbup: this is going to be an awesome tank dude:)

11. jacquesb

Many thanks Jaak. I really appreciate it. I am really sorry about your new tank. But, that too will soon pass. You just have to get past it, hey. Life is a biaatch at best! ;)

Now - I am ready to start re-stocking........ My tank has now been running for a month, and I have been dosing bacteria like crazy!

12. jacquesb

Many thanks Clinton - I appreciate the awesome comment!

13. Annoying

Annoying

Tank looks great, very sorry to hear about your loss, good luck:thumbup:

14. shane

shane

Looking good jacquesb.
    keep your chin up and the tank will great in no time.
    Just a question, why all the bubbles from the return?
    Cheers

15. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Boet, New house, treat this as a complete new adventure, a new tank totally

out of interest did you moove the stock in buckets or cooler boxes?

I am looking forward to this thread developing

good luck with this tank, can you talk me through your sump setup a little more??

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

AWEH! i thought my luck was bad with tanks, sorry JB, losing all those beautiful nemmies and corals, sorry man. i know what its like to almost lose everything (multiple times :( ). just stick with it. Good luck with the new tank JB and may it be aptasia free :)

17. AndrévN

AndrévN

Well done, nice come back. All the best with the new venture. :thumbup:

18. jacquesb

Many thanks Annoying. I really appreciate the comment and the good wishes.

Shane - My monster Speck pump just keeps on sucking water - no matter how much I chuck at it.... so - if I don't want my display tank to overflow, I let the Speck basically "suck the bottom most tank" in my sump, dry..... (not really completely dry - my DSB is still covered with about 2 cm of water).... The Speck is sucking air.... BUT, I think that it is a welcome change.... I don't mind the bubbles - to be honest...... Ensures that I have more than high enough Redox in my water.

Thanks Stu. I really appreciate the comment. BUT - tell me - what do you think of my scaping this time around? ;)
    Many thanks Max! Really appreciate it.

19. shane

shane

Het Jacquesb,
    You could look into putting a valve on the discharge side of that pump or add a tee piece in to the discharge line with a valve on it and then you open the valve to allow some water to bypass thus controling the amount of water returning.
    Just a thought.
    Cheers

20. jacquesb

Hi Neil - I moved most in cooler boxes, but some I moved in about 80 litres rectangular plastic containers with lids.....

I know - I know.... I am..... but, it was a real emotional knock - with the Jeep also breaking (a second time) and all.......

The sump consists of 6 x 1 metre smaller tanks - in 2 seperate "banks"..... I have a pump in one each of the bottom tanks, pumping the water to the top-most tank. The water then overflows to the 2nd (middle) tank, which also then overflows to the bottom most tank.

I have these 2 banks "linked up" supplying each other with water.
    My overflow in my DT is directly linked to my skimmer inlet, which has it outlet supplying water to the left hand side bank of tanks.....

The Speck pump "sucks" water from the bottom most tank, in the left hand bank of tanks......

I have 2 x 20 watt halogen 12 volt downlighters each over each of the 2 tanks where the chaetomorpha is growing.
    The amount of chaetomorpha that I have is mindblowing!

I hope that this answers your question? If not, please let me know, and I will try and elaborate even more.

21. crispin

crispin

JB i am truley sorry for your losses.

your new system sounds awesum and it will be great to see you bounce back again. Chin but fella each tank is easier than the one before it:)

Recent Posts