jaco

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jacoc, 22 May 2010.

1. jacoc

jacoc

Hi every one...
    Can someone please assist...my yellow tang and regal has white and black spots..i bought them 2 weeks ago and they were ok antil yesterday what can i do? i started a garlic and vitemin c drop lastnight. they are in a reef tank with plenty rock to cutch them is a no-no..help please....guru where are thee?

Last edited: 22 May 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Hi and WELCOME !!!!!

The Guru's will sort you out in no time.

4. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

.?

5. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

Hi every one...
    Can someone please assist...my yellow tang and regal has white and black spots..i bought them 2 weeks ago and they were ok untill yesterday what can i do? i started a garlic and vitemin c drop lastnight. they are in a reef tank with plenty rock to cutch them is a no-no..help please....guru where are thee?

6. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

Most species of the tang family gets white spot for almost no reason. The most white spot cases are due to stress. If they are aetinf and they don't seem to be to worried about it leave them be. I know from my tang experience that they get white spot from any stress related issue(catching them, power outage, tank cleaning,fighting,etc...). I won't be to worried as the white spot dissapears in a few days. I know allot of other people will disagree with me but to catch the fish and keep them in a hospital tank will just increase the white spot! Just keep an eye on them and continue with the vitamins, you can also feed nori soacked in garlic juice to increase their imune system.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome Jaco, fistly we need to know more about the system. fish can and will get ill if their immune system is run down, consistent feeding with a vitimin enriched suplement will definatley yield the best reults.. if they are eating then things are still good..

you also need to establish if there is agression between the 2 effected parties.. if so removing one may have to become an option to consider..

scaping and hiding places can help as it is important for fish to be comfortable in their enviroment. the lack of suffiecient hiding places can result in stress and subsequent disease..

there are no miracle cures.. careful observation and assessment of what is the cause will help in trating the core of the problem

pics and more info of your system will allow us to assist you further

8. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

9. Trev

Trev

Hey Jaco what Anoying has said is correct about the tang species easly getting whitespot and from time to time they may get it and in this case you shouldnt stress. But in your case I think its way more serious as you dont know the fish yet and they could just continue getting worse. SO what I am saying is there are fish that are able to go through periods of white spot and there are fish that perish from the first outbreak of it, it depends on the fish's imune response and the severity of the case. So to simply just sit and wait to see what happens in your case I think would be negligible. But as Anoying has said sometimes catching a ill fish could be the final nail in the coffin sad but true.

If you look at what Leslie has mentioned about stress factors this is 100% true and 100% of the cause of whitespots.

SO here is my advice firstly test your water parameters as these would 90% of the time be the reason for an outbreak, Then post the test results here so that we can have a look also as Leslie has mentioned post as much info on the tank incl pics if you can, here

But in the short term here is some questions for you how long did you aclimatize the new fish for and what methode exactly did you use, what have the fish been eating, how much and how often have they been eating, where the fish eating at the pet store before being caught, do you have any other tangs in your tank like a sailfin perhaps,did you quarantine the fish before introducing them and if so for how long and how did they do, what is the salinaty of your water atm, do you have or are you able to settup a quarantine tank, do you have any inverts in your tank besides the own grown stuff.

The reality is that you may only have another few hours left to make an informed choice and do something to help the fish before you reach the stage where catching will over stress the fish if it is indeed a severe case. The most effective treatment for this is hyposalinaty which means putting the fish in another tank where the salinaty is much lower than the display tank but this means catching them.

Trev

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, sorry you have to join under the circumstances. Leslie is right, we need to know more about the setup in order to help and find the cause of the whitespot. Pictures will also help.

11. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

Ok...let me bring u up to date..i started my tank 12jr ago...3.5jr ago i sold my house as we were traveling and didnt buy a home wright away ..i moved my tank to a friends house and he stored it for me...in this time he only toped up with water and thats it no water changes or any maintenance..it sounds wow cant be but yes i'l put some pics from then and now ....so 4weeks ago i fetched my tank in roodepoort and moved it to benoni where i live now...a lot of clean-up was done and major water changes...my beauty; bayame cardinal and clowns were bought 8 jr ago and are stil going i lost maybe 100 green stripe mushrooms; giant greens;yelow polips; mushroom leathers ; blue coraline; 3 lights and main stream surculating pump..so there u have it ..i now have the regal ; yellow tans and a cleaner shrimp and a lawnmower bleny...and a massive invasion of gras growing....i pulled app 2 chekers bags of to trim a bit...last week i fetched some of my corals that i left in roodepoort and had my hands in the tank shifting rock and moving things around.. and that is where i think the tangs strsed out...i also started feedingkent platinum reef herbivore pellets soaked in garlick vitemin c mixture the last 3 days and the tangs seem to be getting beter...

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello.

Maybe a stupid question, was the fish in the tank for the last 3 years?
    You did a tank move and everything is basically still in the tank as 3 years ago?

First check and confirm your water parameters. Especially your salinitiy. After all the time I doubt if it is still where you want it.

The wall to wall green carpet, well that is due to bad water paramenters anyway. Phosphates and nitrates are the food for algae to grow like mad. Check the globes. how old are they, what light do you have. Older globes loose their higher intensities giving off more light under 6500K (yellow to red) and that is just what the alge wants. What other light needing livestock do you still have. If non, maybe decrease your lighting period. What substrate do you have in the tank?

What filtration do you have? Skimmer, DSB, Scrubber (ATS), reactors?

Last thing, do not over-react. By over-reacting you tend to over compensate and then things get stuffed up more. If they are eating, that is a good sign.

And no need to type SMS style. You are not limited to 165 characters. :)

13. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

Hi

Ok

The fish and all that I mentioned was in the tank for the entire time...

The filtration is in the back of the tank behind the overflow; the substrate is crushed corral and also nitrate punch in the overflow...I run a small sander ozone reactor from time to time and that used to work perfectly... The water was tested at Exotic pets and Pet masters in last week and I was told it is as close to perfect as one can get... The salinity is a bit of track but still this shouldn’t stress the fish ( 1.016 )

I think may be I stressed the fish last week when I had my hands in their to move the rocks...and also the yellow tang didn’t get the right nutrition...Since I’ve started the Pellets dipped in garlic and vitamin c feeding twice a day the yellow tang has picked up weight and is moving around and grazing like a fish should...

I know ure going to say my tank won’t work with the filtration I’ve got but look at the pick I uploaded ( the 1 with all the yellow polyps ) of the tank before, this tank had so many tsunamis before and survived...Their are 3 kinds of alge and never before did I have any fish that eat or maintain this...it is also very rare for tanks to grow this by itself...Colarpa, stick, and sea grass there was also bubble lg that is now eaten away...The nitrates is very little (2.5) I’m planning to add a clam at some point so for that I need more Nitrates...

Maybe I’m overreacting a bit like u said...I do want to add a Canister filter at some stage but need to alter the hood and install pipes first...This I’ve been meaning to do since I started the tank and it will only be for biological filtration needs...

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is way out too low... Fish should be OK, but not for prolonged period. But your softies etc should be taking a hammering.

I lost mushrooms, flower pot rock anemone, hammer coral and Blue Yellow tail damsel when my tank dropped to 1.019 due to the RO syphoning via the pump. And tank run like that for a week while I was overseas. And a Blue Yellow Tail damsel is suppossed to be very hardy. Thank goodness I did not lost my Blond Naso or Desjardini Tangs... When I brought the salinity back up to 1.024 all the leathers and Zoa's kept on sulking for another 3 weeks.

15. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

16. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

OK Riaan thanx for that info...I started to drip a strong salt mixed with water last night and the selinaty is up but not where it should be...I'll do the same tonight and again tomorrow if if neccesary...

thank you for your advice ..this must be why my leathers is bateling...I was not sure as to why they don't wana come wright... Did you see the picks I posted...

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, saw it only now. Oops that grass looks like Bryopsis. Is it hard tough and sits like it is superglued to the rock. Very difficult to get rid off.

I got rock that is now in darkness from 24 March and there are still some left. Tangs do not eat it. They will eat the new growth that is soft.

18. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

Hi Reaan

The Regal rips it out withe rock still att to it and eats everiting to the rock but the yellow tang nibels on the shorter growth and new shoots..thats why i got these tangs ...i took a chance when i bought them but the shop owner said i wont be sorry and so far so good they are controling the growth...

Riaan tel me if this sounds right...when I put the Hydrmeter in to the tank it shows 1,08/1.02...when I scoop water out in to a glass vase then it hangs at 1.022/4...whitch is right...

Thanx

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nice tangs then. I know tangs will eat new growth. Did not know Regal will take the old hard growth. Just need to make sure it is Bryopsis, it is hard, like fishing line? Or soft.

Is the Hydrameter one of those swing-arm goodies? They not very accurate. Must make sure that no small bubbles is stuck to the arm, else it will give a false reading.

Ag, now I got it, Hydrometer, looks like a thermometer. With a red marker that shows the specific salinity... Well they are just as inaccurate. Do not know why it give two different readings. Is it touching the side?

Take some water to lfs tomorrow so that they can test it with a refractometer. A lot better. Sounds if your salt level is up anyway. just do not overdo it.

20. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

HI Riaan

both tangs eat new and old growth but the regal just seem to enjoy ripping the long pieces out then swimming around eating and spitting out untill their is noting left...the yellow wont toutch the loose drfting pieces...then the blenny also only eat on the new growth...
    yes it is one of those long look like thermometer but is hydrometer...and no not toutching the sides...

Recent Posts