Ive had enough of pet shops

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by FransSny, 18 Apr 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry to post this (actually not) ..any sponsor feeling offended ...so be it not directed at any of you guys,

today i went to th LFS,i stay in centurion (btw not exclusive pets), the gent buying was actually advised to run his tank for about 3 days before adding about 10kg of LR, 2/4 weeks according to the owner should do the trick in terms of cyclyng.

when i got to the till , he was sold 1 x hygro, 1 x NO3 (sera kit) ??, 1 x instant marine salt ????, 1 x aquarium GRAVEL.

I actually spoke to the gent (invited him to come and look at mytanks) , did the whole playsand thing etc & hope he reads this post as i gave him the web adres, idiot disnt want to listn.

sick & tired of LFS's rippimg off people , name & shame is the game

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

so name them ?

4. Andreas

Andreas

This is really not cool.Instead of helping the guys out they just try and make a quick sale:(

5. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

crispin i will check legalaties on monday, my issue is I know this LFS (sold him some FW stuff, I just hope the oke is looking at the site (gave it to him)..nothing else needs 2 die.

I will name & shame, stop killing cause WE R Stupid

sorry ..still but upstet

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

Sometimes I don't have the ability to help people. It's a real shame. You need enthusiastic people in these LFS.

7. Tony

Tony

I think there's more enthusiasm for the bottom line than keeping people happy and giving them the right advice that's why we have so many stressed newbies on the forum panicking about dead or dying animals and tank gone horribly wrong. Six months down the line they have a garage full of crappy lights, skimmers and other bits and bobs. Surely SAPTA (South African pet trader association) should intervene in these horrible "sell anything to make a quick buck" shops?

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Tony well said i agree totally with you

9. lIghty

lIghty

I agree with you Tony, but I also believe the onus is upon the buyer to know what he is buying, if you were going to buy something, say a new machine, car etc, shouldn't you do some homework 1st? You must understand, unfortunately most are out to make money and don't think about tomorrow, not to say all are like this, but yes, majority are, thats sales....

95%, if not 100% of people that are thinking of setting up a tank have internet, they should learn to use it..... and the worst part of it is, the LFS will never mention the likes of MASA, as they know that the person could source the goods much cheeper and won't return in a hurry.....

Please don't take me wrong, I don't say we should accept this in the industry, but ignorance is no excuse.....

@ Frans - Good to you for trying, he'll realise his stupidity later on.

10. brentnorm

brentnorm

That's fair enough comment but you can't expect a newbie to know everything. He is still going to look at his LFS to advise him. A new aquariust is also a little impatient and wants his new purchase to look as good as possible as soon as possible. Only experience teaches you patients.

11. lIghty

lIghty

and thats the most of us have started....don't you wish you had done more research before you started you tank? part of live, no matter what industry you in. We just need to actively promote the likes of this site.

12. brentnorm

brentnorm

Hindsight is a bitch.

13. lIghty

lIghty

:lol::lol::lol:

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Has anybody been to the pet shop in ballito?

15. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

unfortuantely i also have to agree with lIghty, one shoudl do some research into what you are going to buy. That is probably whet pi**ed me of the most, the guy was "offended" because i gave advice...and yes i was a bit pushy...and yes he had a lady with him, but it should be a 50 / 50 relationship between customer & LFS.

the way i see it is he will be adding LR today / tomorrow (wasnt even told about RO), die off will occur which he wont notice, after three weeks he will start adding LS ...probably a nennie as well....within a nother week or so everything will be dead. Then he will start over and it will happen again and then he will end up with a garage wull of stuff which we will pick up for 1/2 price on e-bay !

sad that living things must day because of our stupidity / pride

and no...im not saying i havent made similar mistakes or have a perfect tank (lots of issues still:p) but i am hoping all new guys & people considering the hobby reads this thread and takes note of the following....DONT belive everything the LFS says, DO homework first before buying not just the species but also th LFS, ASK questions you are not going to look stupid, take it SLOW.....most marine creatures live for years...you will have lots of time to enjoy

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

Morning FransSny sorry have you checked out the pet shop in ballito on your last trip?

17. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

hi chicka...no sorry i didnt...i dont know the area at all (took me 2 hours to find a airpump for my matras:p)...are they k*k ?

18. Tony

Tony

That's another big problem. People don't research things before they buy especially fish. Most people think that you just chuck fish in water and all's OK. Unfortunately some pet stores see this as an opportunity to make a quick buck not thinking of the client returning. They should understand that people don't just buy the tank and you never see them again. Guys return for tests, fish, equipment, salt and all the bits and bobs. A fish tank especially a marine tank is a LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP. That was directed at silly pet stores. If the LFS bull dusts the aquarist and guys like us set him in the right direction, do you think that he will return after being ripped off? I don't think so!

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

Not really were not too glued up on their stuff but what was nice they were honest about it! had some very nice specimens but was not pushing for a sale at all! I got put on their sms mailing list and see that they got some new stuff in this week but have to go there to see whats in. The livestock they did have seemed quite happy and healthy! but a new shop - It situated in Ballito Junction the huge shopping mall

20. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

cool to know there are some good guy out there as well...will def check them out when i go back there in october

21. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

This type of thing has been going on for a long time and will continue to go on, not only with fish but other animals. Why do you think some animal rights guys cringe when some animal movies come out, movies like Finding Nemo, 101 Dalmations, Jock of the bushveld etc have caused major problems for the these animals and the pet shops just supply the demand. My2c

Recent Posts