Ive got crabs! About the only place u can say that aloud!

Reaction score
hey guys,
I was feeding heavily the other evening and noticed a strange crab come out the reef for a feed. Hitchiker from when i got the LR i should think, so i am not worried about him I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what he is?

No stress if not, he is deep in the reef again anyway!

IMG_3664.jpg

i dont trust any crab! better safe then sorry, so try and get them all out if you can.
dont want to see you little fishies go missing.
the crabs in my tank have taken out my jawfish and 2 fire gobys before.
these were easy targets as the sleep in a borrow.
crab crawls in one night and munch munch munch.:(

It looks tiny, is it? if it is then you have a while before it starts to get opportunist and go for any livestock, most crabs - even the real mad, bad and nasty ones need to get big enough to tackle even the slowest fish, just get a tall glass and titlt it just enough to entice the crab into it to get a little fishy treat (cockle/prawn etc) and hope he falls for it.

Do you have shrimp?
my guys went mad for the free food when i tried to get a crap out of my tank.
So if you do just take a small piece of live rock and compact the piece of fish tightly at the back of the rock so your shrimp don't get hold of it. the crap will still go after the smell of the food.
place the rock in the glass and you should get him

awww crap, so seriously have to get rid of him? I tend to have a far softer "natural" approacxh. Didnt want to kill aptasia untill it became a problem. I guess i have some time and i know pretty much where he hangs out, so will ahve a good look for him when i next feed. Could i sump side him?

Give him to Warr?

Use the piece of food in a glass trick to capture him, then you can put him in your sump if you really want. Or donate to anyone with a mantis shrimp :p

hang on you guys are seriously sounding alarmist. He is the size of my thumb nail, never caused crap yet and i WILL get to him soon (ish). and i will drop him sump side, not kill the poor fella. He aint done nothing that aint natural to him.

You do know i was trained by Green Peace and stuff??

great way to bring up my 800th post!:)

rory i will do, sounds like a fun capture anyway.....i'd rather be catching my troublesome bristle tooth though!....or dont tell warr that its bad and I will send it to him:) or maybe lanzo wants it.....

no bugger that no need to kill the fella!

hang on you guys are seriously sounding alarmist. He is the size of my thumb nail, never caused crap yet and i WILL get to him soon (ish). and i will drop him sump side, not kill the poor fella. He aint done nothing that aint natural to him.

I found a crab about the same size Thursday night, sitting quite contently and eating my green star polyps, so I took out the rock with the GSP's, removed the crab and placed it in the sump. The crab might also explain why half my pulsing xenia are missing (and I thought they were just migrating to different parts of the tank:p ).

I found a crab about the same size Thursday night, sitting quite contently and eating my green star polyps, so I took out the rock with the GSP's, removed the crab and placed it in the sump. The crab might also explain why half my pulsing xenia are missing (and I thought they were just migrating to different parts of the tank:p ).

He must have quite an apetite if he can eat so much and be that small:)

He must have quite an apetite if he can eat so much and be that small:)

Not sure if it was actually "eating" the star polyps, but I had noticed an increasing number of broken off pieces the last few days, after my original xenia rock was cleared of all xenia (still have xenia that migrated to other parts of the tank), then I see the crab.

Not sure if it was actually "eating" the star polyps, but I had noticed an increasing number of broken off pieces the last few days, after my original xenia rock was cleared of all xenia (still have xenia that migrated to other parts of the tank), then I see the crab.

Even little crabs can cause lots of damage, see what happens now he's sumped.

i have loads of small crabs especially from your LR :whistling:

The I have caught live in the sump or Aiptasia tank. Great CUC for your sump, but give it a rock or two to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom