I've got C.U.C ( Clean up Crew )

Reaction score
Was gonna post this in the invertebrate section but seeing I'm sooooo excited about my clean up crew I've posted it here (its almost like seeing impala for the first time). I got 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 pretty big blued legged hermit.
The one shrimp disappeared within seconds but I'm sure he'll rear his ugly head soon:)

shrimp.jpg

hermit.jpg

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Make it C.U.C otherwhise is sound a bit dodgy.

Nice looking hermit Gaboon, lover the blue legs

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Gaboon - really nice - only one forwarning - the big hermit might perhaps just get bigger and start bulldozing around your tank. Just keep your eyes open for fallen rock/corals (once you get these), etc...

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, I kinda mixed up the afrikaans spelling.

My LFS had camel back shrimps as well but he said they not reef safe. I'll keep an eye on the hermit.
Your LFS is right:thumbup:

They kewl those hermits

Reaction score
Misnomers..or wrong names

Howsit.
Cleaner shrimp while capable of foraging, insodoing DO SOME sort of cleanup.
A newish tank, doesn't offer much in way of TANK cleanup though.

However, the 'cleaner' part of it's name alludes to it's habit of cleaning fish, of loose, dead, infected skin/scale/tissue material. This also goes some way in reduction of irritation from external lesions, or ectoparasites.

The Hermit you have is available from South East Asia on lists out of Singapore, Indonesia, etc as Blue Leg Hermits.
They HAVE BLUE LEGS, and they are Hermit crabs.
BUT , don't be mislead they are NOT ANY of the reported Reef Safe species .

Believe me, I'd like to advise otherwise.
It's same "mistake" repeated to make a sale.

I have had these shipped, many times, to just keep them, or give away to LARGER Fish ONLY systems.

The suppliers also offer Red Leg Hermits...Guess what!?
Same story, they ship out a hermit crab with red legs..ANOTHER predatory, destructive species.

Those Red, or Blue Leg Hermits, have the SAME colour run VERTICALLY, ie from tip towards face.
I suspect very closely related spp, SAME Genus.

Their pincers, are longer, sharper.
ALWAYS, come in relatively large shells.

They don't discriminate...I have lost R1000's in fish, inverts, damaged coral.
NOT to mention, their appetite for beneficial snails.

Heck, I even had some STRIP a BLACK Ribbon Eel, the way you eat a sole...bare!!!

Please ask LFS, where he got hermits from...take it from there.

Last edited:

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Well Gaboon, I would take his advise, one knowledgeable fellow this Obi-Wan

I still think those blue legs look kewl:p

Kryofrozen

My fish have names!
Reaction score
Oh great Obi-wan! ;) Thanks for the info... I've seriously learnt something today! Can you tell us and perhaps post some pics of which hermits are actually safe? I have lost almost ALL of my snails due to the hermies I have in my tank! :(

Reaction score
YOUR hermies

Easier to start with problem spp, THEN avoid those.

Start with pix of YOUR hermies

and your snails(or their shells:()

Wiser to select from SAFER species, after alerting others to danger, don't you agree?

I don't keep as much photo record as I should. My resources are spread thin with livestock, chemical, analytic, therapeutic, equipment,and R & D expenditure.

Oh great Obi-wan! ;) Thanks for the info... I've seriously learnt something today! Can you tell us and perhaps post some pics of which hermits are actually safe? I have lost almost ALL of my snails due to the hermies I have in my tank! :(

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i believe the mexican red leg is considered reef safe, and possibly the dwarf blue leg, i just stick with redleg, never lost any snails to them,

Reaction score
shitHe went straight for my aptaisia when I put him in, aptaisia hasn't opened since. Thank goodness its the only coral I have:)

Reaction score
The cleaner shrimp have disappeared. Is it normal for them to hide while they settle in?

Reaction score
Acclimatised for an hour. Bag floated for 20 minutes then every 10 minutes or so let some of my water into the bag

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Acclimatised for an hour. Bag floated for 20 minutes then every 10 minutes or so let some of my water into the bag

Inverts are very delicate, they are also very succeptible to toxic shock (change in salinity) they should be placed in their bag in a small bucket (i use a 2lt jug) in the sump, then get a length of small hose (airline will do) in which you tie a knot and start a syphon from the main tank into the bag - ensure that over flow will go back into the sump - the knoy in the airline allows you to regulate the flow, around one drip per second for 5 to 8 hours depending on the difference in salinity between your water and the water from the lfs.

(If you have no sump, put the shrimp/snail/crab (still in their bag)into a small bucket/jug into a large bucket then use the auto top up to refill the tank from the bucket)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
<<<<--------Agreees with /\