Its probably too late, Urgent help

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by bushman, 26 Apr 2009.

1. bushman

bushman

Kruger National Park, private game reserve
    Yestarday I recieved that call that none of us ever want to hear.

The chap looking after my tank while I was on holiday called to say he had some serious problem. He had checked the tank the night before at 8pm and all was perfect Ph was at 8.36 and everyone seemed fine. He walked into the house the next morning and the tank was white and and he could not see the fish. I asked him what the PH was and it was 8.91. Holy **** I said. I explained how I wanted a water change done straight away and started packing up from my holiday. I drove flat out for 9 hours with constant phone updates and things just sounded worse and worse.. I finally arrived home late yesterday afternoon and was SHOCKED at how bad things really where. He had not told me the full story.

On entering the house I could just smell death. looking at the still milky tank all I could see where dead fish. They where all dead and most of the coral looked terrible. I dashed to my computer to see what had happened.

It was clear to see. The computer said it all. At 9.15pm, the Ph had climbed in 20 min from 8.20 to 9.91.

The reason, the chap looking after my tank had topped up the kalk stirrer. When I told him to put in 4 tsp per week he for some reason had heard 40 table spoons. So when the kalkstirrer topped up it dropped in kalk powder, this caused the skimmer to go crazy and skim out all over the floor and in tern this pushed the top up to keep pushing water through the Kalkstirer until all the kalk had been dumped into my sump and tank. The overload killed the fish and just about verything in the tank.

I have been doing water changes as fast as I can but my RO only does 100 litres a day. I have the skimmer on ful taps and its pulling out some terrinble stuff. The sump is a war zone and is just full of white powder all over the DSB. My PH IS BACK DOWN AT 8.4 and it turns out that there are 4 fish still alive at this point. A myjestic angel, 2 clowns and chromi. All the rest including snail, ext ext are all dead. The ammonia is through the roof and is as high as the test will go.

I do not have a back up tank and do not have enough RO water to make up a second tank to keep them alive.

If anyone lives fairly close by and is willing to help I would appreciate it.

2 years of hard work shot to pieces in one night.

I am at this point very seriously thinking of throwing inthe towel.

:( Bushman

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude these things happen, unfortunatley this is a severe case. i has a simular thing when i left fresh water running into my tank and forgot it and went away for the weekend. i only stopped due to finance but would never stop indefinatley.

ride out the storm if i were closer i would definatley say bring over the survivirs.
    the best i can suggest is to keep your water well oxygenated and persist with water changes. in future rather dont assign a technical task such as kalk addition to somone with limited knowledge. i even suggest packing the right amounts of food to be fed in bank bags so as not to have that :shame they look so hungry" effect by the baby sitter.

sorry to hear hope you bounce back..

4. Pete

Pete

Sorry to hear and all the best hope things work out

5. keyaam

keyaam

Sorry to hear. Dont give up that easily

6. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Eish sorry to hear about your loss bushman. I also lost most of my stuff recently, the only advice I can give is do as many water changes as you can, let the tank recover for a few months and take it slow in restocking.

7. Lemar

Lemar

Oi bushman, i'm so sorry to hear you're story. My tanks crashed about 5 months ago, and I almost lost everything. (due to power outage and nennie soup) We almost worked through the night, waterchanges (my RO also only 100l a day) and lots of air stones for oxygen. I wanted to give up, and now after a few months I'm very glad I didn't.
    Just take a deep breath, and keep on doing you're waterchanges. My 2 clowns also survived, the are tought little fish. At this stage I know you are probably extremely tired and fed-up... just hang in there... and keep on doing what you are doing.
    Please keep us updated

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Aish Bushman sorry to hear about your loss. Please dont make rash decisions about packing it in, as you are a true aquarist and would certainly miss your system if it were gone.
    Try get hold of a container [JOJO] and keep about 500L spare RO on hand, it will always come in handy.
    Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

9. Suhayl

Suhayl

Lots of stories of peoples getting wiped out with overdosing kalk. Hope you get your tank to what it was again, will take time just dont five up man. If you were in Klerksdorp I would have helped you anytime.

10. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Is there no one close by that can assist with ro or anything?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Ouch, not nice, I recently had a similar incident, it hurts so much, but I just won't give up.

Sorry for your losses :(

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OUCH! I am REALLY so sorry to hear this, Bushman! This is really a bad thing, that can happen to ANY reefkeeper!
    I am sure that MANY OF US share deeply in your pain - as VERY similar things has happened to a HUGE amount of us, some time or another in our lives.

I also went on leave, and twice as I went away, I had CRAP happen to my tank. The first time, I returned to a COMPLETELY FRESH WATER TANK (from a salt water tank before I left). I too lost EVERYTHING - except for 4 fish, then.
    The second time, my 2 in-sump skimmers both over flowed, and I lost all 4 of my clams....

So, I personally know how you feel....

All I can try and do, is to try and encourage you to keep your wits about you, and try and keep your chin up.

Please try and keep thinking of going on....

Please keep your courage - I KNOW it is a TERRIBLE THING to go through...... BUT, please don't give in.
    Once you have "saltwater in your blood" - it's a VERY difficult "thing" to get rid of....

Good luck mate!
    Jacques

13. crispin

crispin

bushman, my true and sincere condolances. You are one of the better reefers I know, and it runs deep through your heart and shows in your work. I truley wish there was something i could do, but i ma too far, just know that we all feel a sence of loss as disasters like this befall fellow reefers.

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

ouch sori to hear but hang in thr you will bounce back...just dont give up...in time your tank will be too its former glory

15. bushman

bushman Thread Starter

Thanks to each and every person who has sent me such great support.

I love every single day of reefkeeping and I love seing a living eco system dont get me wrong. I was so carefull to make sure that my system had back up and fail saves on all sides to prevent this kind of thing ever happening to me. I often read about other peoples disasters and secrectly prayed it would not ever happen to me. Sadly human error is still the one control that I just cant control. Even if only 4 teaspoons of kalk had been put in and the kalk stirrer had gone off it would not have wiped out the tank. Thats how it was designed. But man 40 TABLESPOONS. yOU HAVE NOT GOT A CHANCE.

The single biggest problem with going forward is just the expense. I estimate that the fish and corals in the tank would be worth nothing short of R20-30 000, money that I just do not currently have. If anyone has frags in the next few months that they would donate I would gladly accept.

I will have to see what I can do. I will chat to my LFS and see if I can work out some kind of paymnet plan for all the years of support and money spent.

If and when I get things back to some kind of normal, should I stock very slowly? Should I redo my DSB. which currently is covered in a layer of kalk powder?

Can some one suggest waht they would do next???

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

so sorry to hear this bushman! i have not had the same size disaster as you but know what it feels like to lose almost everything. once everything has settled i would say scrape out as much kalk as you can and just let the rest dissolve into the system. depending on how much is left it might not take too long, but depending on whether or not the dsb went haywire during everything, i would leave it imo, it takes a long time for dsbs to mature:( just keep on it man. you will push through. sorry once again:(

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No Bushman - just be patient. Do some water changes.... don't worry about the tank itself. Perhaps just try and get some live sand from somewhere, and perhaps some small pieces of new live rock. This will assist in repopulating your tank's micro fauna.
    Other than that - just give the tank time. In about 2 to 3 months' time, you should be ready to start stocking again. At that stage, you should start looking for some new fish and corals. BUT, please be patient in your stocking - do it VERY slowly....

Unfortunately, it is indeed just like starting all over again.

Perhaps you should set your skimmer to skim very wet, and just replace the water taken out by the skimmer, with freshly made up salt water..... in this way, you get to remove a HUGE amount of crap from the water, and also get t replace your "fouled water" with fresh water....
    Then, you don't have the need to really do water changes....

Good luck mate.... We are here for you. Even though just in spirit....

18. aslam

aslam

Sorry to hear bushman,hang in there.

19. Jaak

Jaak

Eish Bushman, this is hectic! I think, like everyone here already said, you should just take time before you make any decisions. Persist in this difficult time cause one day you'll have a better tank than you already had!

20. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Any updates, Bushman ???

Hope you're feeling a bit better this morning, and that you've not had any more deaths.

I'm sure that we can hold a "Frag donation" once your tank has fully recovered - I will gladly donate some corals, and I'm sure many others here on MASA will do the same.

Hennie

21. bushman

bushman Thread Starter

Hey Hennie

Thanks for the support and encouragmnet. After a good night sleep I am more positive than ever and ready to take the challenge on again. Not sure what the bank manager is going to say though.

:thumbup:

Well today is almost all good news. The PH is well down and back ar 8.11. The Amonia is dropping although still fairly high. The tank has clearded and the skimmer has slowed down again and is not pumpimg all over the floor. I have done another water change and things are looking better every hour.

But the really great news is that no more deaths and even better I saw my Tiger Gobby last night and my Fox Face. The look okay. So I have

1. Mygestic Angel
    2. 2x True Clowns
    3. 2 x Chromis
    4. Foxface
    5. 5 Xcleaner shrimps
    6. Tiger Gobby. He just buried himself in the sand.
    7. 1 cleaner wrasse who also just showed up.

The corals have stabilised but we will have to wait and see.

What I have done is put airstones and pumps at the intake for my main tank pumps. This has pushed air into the tank and is keeping the water well oxygeniated. I couls actually see that all the fish became more active a hour or so after doingthis os it must be working.

In the dark last night I had a good look around and found both brittle stars, 2x hermit crabs and lots of coupodos and brissle worms moving about.

So the verdict, all is not lost. The live rock is stillvery much alive and so is the DSB. Besides the massive Coral and fish loss the tank is returning to normal very quickly.

I plan to do 2 x 400 litre water changes in the next few days and am pretty sure that after that the tank will rebound very quickly.

I will take some pics tonight for all to see and will keep you all updated as I progress.

I contacted waterboy to see if I can upgrade my Ro unit to an even bigger one and in doing so up my ro production by more than double.

ALL GOOD NEWS.

So the verdict

Recent Posts