It's Official HD Format War Over, Blu-ray The Winner

Reaction score
The champagne corks are popping at Sony after Toshiba officially announced that they are pulling the plugs on the HD DVD format. As tipped by SmartHouse on Saturday, Japan's Toshiba Corporation has admitted defeat and quit the HD DVD market after losing the support of key studios and retailers.

The decision ends a war between rival consortiums led by Toshiba and Sony vying to set the standard high-definition movies on DVDs, and which has stalled a shift to the new technology in the $24 billion home DVD market.
Later today Toshiba Australia General Manager Mark Whittard will hold a "Wake" press briefing following the decision in Japan overnight. The event held in Sydney will clarify issues involved in the Toshiba withdrawl.
Toshiba, which had hoped HD DVD would become a growth driver for its consumer electronics business, said it would start reducing shipments of HD DVD players and recorders and aim to close out the business by the end of next month.
"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," Toshiba President and CEO Atsutoshi Nishida said in a statement.
The electronics conglomerate said it would continue to provide service for all owners of HD DVD products, and that it was still calculating how much shutting down the business would impact its earnings.
The Blu-ray win means consumers no longer have to choose between rival incompatible formats and run the risk of being stuck with a 21st century equivalent of Betamax -- Sony's videotape technology that lost out to VHS in the 1980s.

MORE

Source: Smarthouse News: David Richards and Wire Services - Tuesday, 19 February 2008

http://www.smarthousenews.com.au/Business_News?Article=/Business%20News/H2X5M9U5

Interesting, but I'm afraid its to late, there is already a newer technology with much greater storage capacity, that if I remember correctly will be released later this year or sometime next year.

Interesting, but I'm afraid its to late, there is already a newer technology with much greater storage capacity, that if I remember correctly will be released later this year or sometime next year.

Correct on the ROM side, but the movie side is where Blu Ray will just evolve but not change formats (new discs will still play on older BD players). They reckon this format is good for at least 5 years ???

Correct on the ROM side, but the movie side is where Blu Ray will just evolve but not change formats (new discs will still play on older BD players). They reckon this format is good for at least 5 years ???

Personally, I think I'll wait for solid state devices (no moving parts) or high bandwidth internet, Blu Ray is going to be just as scratched as DVD's when you rent it from the video store.

Personally, I think I'll wait for solid state devices (no moving parts) or high bandwidth internet, Blu Ray is going to be just as scratched as DVD's when you rent it from the video store.

Too True. We actually have a couple customers with Blu Ray HDD Media Centres to get around this problem, rip to HDD and store the disk.

Huge drives are required.

Old news :p

Moz you talking about HVD? It's only like a few hundred thousand $ for a player and $750 for a disc...

It's kindof a shame that BR won. HD-DVD is a lot cheaper to produce (ie. writable ones etc will be cheaper, prob not much diff in movies) and doesn't have region coding. Also Sony are in the dog box since they secretely installed rootkits on millions of peoples PC's...

Old news :p

Moz you talking about HVD? It's only like a few hundred thousand $ for a player and $750 for a disc...

It's kindof a shame that BR won. HD-DVD is a lot cheaper to produce (ie. writable ones etc will be cheaper, prob not much diff in movies) and doesn't have region coding. Also Sony are in the dog box since they secretely installed rootkits on millions of peoples PC's...

Not sure what its called, but it uses the same technology as flash disks.

Not sure what its called, but it uses the same technology as flash disks.

SSD drives? Also crazy expensive but coming down in prize and going up in size FAST... The drive in the new EEE laptop is flash based.

Back
Top Bottom