It's a break out!!!!! ... Of...???

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Christy, 24 Nov 2011.

1. Christy

Christy

Hello MASA...

Tonight, with no warning, there has been an explosion of flowering... My algae [what kind is it?] ... which I've been struggling to find a clean up crew to devour has suddenly bloomed.

Is this a problem?? What should I do??

Help Please!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and as a general update...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacoc

jacoc

if you were closer i would take that 2nd pic rock of your hands and repace with another one for you...but not the hairy one...

sorry i dont know what it is but am sure tangs will feast on it....maybe someone here will be able to help out..

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Last pic, its weed against Aiptasia.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and second pic, that red / pink tree thing, also a macro algae. Needs Iodine to survive long term. I had some of it long ago. Very nice.

6. jacoc

jacoc

aiptasia..? r you sure...not yellow polyps look at pick nr7..?,,
    @RiaanP what about the flat leave alge...looks interisting..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. finrott

finrott

last pic is NOT aptasia but rather bali polyps... get a clean up crew and increase ur mg... Generally does the trick

8. finrott

finrott

This is some sort of debesia sp... commonly know as hair algae. What are your parameters at the moment? are you using ro water for top up?

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I must admit, not sure if it is aiptasia, where wondering, thats why I mention it so others can comment. Yes, agree, it does look like those yellow polyps. But they too can grow very aggressively. But at least they are not as bad as aiptasia.

The green leaves. A tang will eat it up very quickly, if you do not want it.

But how big is your system, 600x600x400???If I go back to another thread from you where you asked about a tank in January. About 140L if not mistaken. Anyway, that is too small to keep a tang in for a long term. Can always get yourself a nice small one or 2, but you have to sell them when they grow up. Then buy another 2. Back then you only had about 5kg live rock in your tank. How much live rock do you have now?

Maybe its time for a full tank shot.

10. 2balive

2balive

Hi

Scary when this happens. @belindamotion is good at getting the specie names for algea.

As much as I hate hearing it, but probable the only solution is cutting back on stuff you put into the tank and making sure your RO water is "clean". I however suspect your rocks may also be an issue. Not sure what chemical filter media you are using?

PS, great photography skills.

Comments in-between your photo's below.

The red algea below is pretty (in my opinion) and normally tricky to keep in the long run, would not worry about it, seldom that red algae goes amok.

This is puzzling, as it does look like flowers on those leaves. I can't recall ever reading about flowering algae. Also don't know about marine based plants that flowers, there is plenty of freshwater ones.

Will have to leave this for the experts, will follow with interest.

Finds them fascinating, but a bit scary. Wonder what the impact on your "bugs" in the tank is going to be and if it can be sustained within a small tank?

Suspiciously looks like Dave's?

Assuming you are revering to the green things in-between the Yellow Polyps? Looks like run of the mill green hair algae (GHA)

11. brentch

brentch

Algae don't "flower" at all. Gymno (meaning naked, referring to the lack of a seed coat) and angiosperms (produce true flowers, fruit and have an endosperm) do flower. Sea grasses and mangrove species are angiosperms in the ocean.

Algae reproduce sexually through production of spores. Just out of interest, the visible part of the algae which we all know is the gametophyte part of its life cycle, so it's diploid (only having half the compliment of its chromosomes [1n]) just like semen.

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

[​IMG]
    This one looks to me like...
    [​IMG]
    Scientific Name: Nemastoma Sp.
    Common Name: Red Finger

[​IMG]
    The green on this rock looks almost like this...
    [​IMG]
    Scientific Name: Turbinaria Sp.
    Common Name: Turbinaria

[​IMG]

This to me looks like it's from the Turbinaria Family...spot the dots...
    [​IMG]
    Scientific Name: Turbinaria Ornata
    Common Name: ?

There is 30 current Species in the GENUS: Turbinaria...running a bit low on MB so I can't pin-point which one..:p
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinaria"]Turbinaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Seems to be 10 Turbinaria "Ornata"
    Turbinaria J.V.Lamouroux, 1825: 71 :: Algaebase

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  13. 2balive

2balive

14. belindamotion

What flowers...the one's that look like Aptasia or the one's on the brown/green algae...I mentioned that there is 30 species in that family...one could be with flowers..I actually want to go so far and say that the "3rd"stage could be the flowers, but I'm VERY low on MB and can't go surfing now...:blush:

15. 2balive

2balive

The ones on the "algea" below.

According to @brentch, algae don't flower, (I also remember something like that vaguely from by school biology, but i have learned not to trust memories from school).

This looks a lot like flowers? Turbinaria is an algae (?) and not a sea grass (?) so should not be able to flower?

PS, you need uncapped ADSL ;)

16. belindamotion

[​IMG]
    I circled a leaf..for me it looks like it's "flowering" from the "edges" of the leaf...the leaves, for ME, looks just like the picture below...spots and all and also got that "fluffy" stuff inbetween...
    [​IMG]
    I can't deny or confirm about the "flowering" as I can't go Internet Surfing at this stage...I will be honest and admitt that I don't know if Algae can "flower", but I see on the AlgaeBase there is currently 10 Turbinaria "Ornata"...

17. belindamotion

The only other option is this...
    [​IMG]
    Scientific Name: Halophila Engelmannii
    Common Name: Star Grass

There does seem to be "larger" leaves creeping in between...so this is the only other option...the brown/green microalgae and seagrass are "intertwined"...maybe..?
    Several species of halophila seagrass exist, including halophila engelmannii, ... Seagrass is the only flowering plant that lives entirely underwater...
    Genus Halophila art

18. belindamotion

[​IMG]

They almost look the same...I want to go with the idea that it's Bali Polyps...surely if it was Aptasia, it would have "spread" already....?
    [​IMG]

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i think you could be right.

Those do look like Bali polyps. Aipasia doesnt always spread uncontrolably. They can sit peacefully for ages before deciding to take over the tank.

20. brentch

brentch

It is a brown algae I think...

I can state as a matter of fact that IF it is an algae, then it does not form flowers. I think hermie would be able to give a positive ID on these algae, she works in the algae/ocean-chemistry lab downstairs from me:)

21. brentch

brentch

The local rock skippers found along our coast are pretty good at chowing the GHA you have going there. Or even periwinkles, if the GHA isn't too long...Maybe even a convict tang or lawnmower blenny?

Recent Posts