Urgent help needed It does not leak.... BUT....

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Mrabkin, 1 May 2010.

1. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

Please would somebody advise me on the following situation:

I have built my 900l x 400w x 600h (8mm glass) tank, filled it up with no leaks, but noticed a little chip on the bottom glass.

The chip is not leaking water but my concern is obviously future structural integrity...

The tank from a distance...
    [​IMG]

The tank, closer...
    [​IMG]

close up of the chip... It is about the size of the little eraser on the back of a pencil...

[​IMG]

Following is a photo for purposes of seeing the structural braces i have built..

[​IMG]

Can anyone please inform me of what i've done wrong... was it a glass imperfection?
    do i need to replace the base?
    if i do, will it do the same?

Help please!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

From what I've seen, its runs to the edge on both side already, so should be ok, but if the crack/chip is running, then I would replace the piece of glass.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I have a couple of chips like that, as lighty said, as long as it's not running it should be ok.

I can't see too well from the pics, but have you got bracing inside the tank at the bottom?

5. xtreme

xtreme

Looks ok to me, also got a few, can happens some times when they cut the glass and latter on you see a corner piece came loose, rather fit bottom bracing in like Viper said.
    I will remove the center bracing, 8mm glass 900Lx600Hx400W with side bracing, no need for center bracing.

My dads tank, 120cmLx60cmHx45cmW 6mm glass, 10mm botom plate and with 7cmW (10mm)bracing at the top 2cm from edge running for 2yrs now

6. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

where does one fit a bottom brace?

7. Annoying

Annoying

It's just a 10 cm or any width glass stuck to the tank at the bottom. It runs around the tank so the tank is extra strong at the edge of the glass. It also helps with preventing leaks. It would work great in case you are worrying about the chip. Better to do stuff like that now rather when the tank is fully running and it starts to leak.

8. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Many thanks... now 6 hours,still no leaks. will be adding a bottom brace and reinforcing the base. also gave a bit of a push and a jolt here and there to the full tank.. seems to be ok.

Thank you all... hopefully will be running by next week, then off to the estuary i go to get some nice, die-hard, nitrogen-producing mullet to sort my water out for me..

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I'm not too sure... I enlarged a portion of the pic with the chip, and there appears to be at least two "cracks" going into the pane. Any stress on the tank could cause them to "run".

[​IMG]

Of course, it's difficult to tell from just a photo...

On the bottom pane, running right around the inside of the tank - same as with the top "Euro-bracing".

Hennie

10. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I would recomend another base inserted on the inside of the tank (you would have to remove the center brace) This would strenghten the bond to the glass, as braces would, but would also strenghten the base.

I think that if you put this on a frame supported around the sides, that it will break in time. If onto a solid flat base like granite or something then no probs.

Good luck with your new tank.:)

11. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

So i have subsequently emptied the tank, and inspected the chip more closely. It seems to be only 2/3 mm deep, and really not as bad as it looked before i removed the loose chip... definately nothing that is suggesting a running crack..[​IMG]

will definately install bottom braces, but still contemplating replacement of the base.. Also took the time today to re-inforce the cabinet and have ordered glue-bonded marine grade ply wood to sit under the poly... Think i'm covered?

12. Annoying

Annoying

I don't think you need to replace the bottom for that size crack... Bottom bracing is a muct just for the "incase" something happens. You are deffinetley on the rite track keep it up!:thumbup:

13. lIghty

lIghty

Can you post a pic of the crank more from the right hand side, 45 deg to the 2 panes.

14. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Mind the mess... have not trimmed silicone yet :)[​IMG]

Recent Posts