ISP who to use? what package?

Discussion in 'Internet' started by lIghty, 18 Jul 2010.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi All

I've currently using a 3G modem on a 3gig package from MTM, but its not cheep and as my contract is coming to an end, I'm wanting to move to something a bit cheeper, I'm currently paying +-R1000 p/m at the momment. The problem is that there are so many different providers and packaged, EG shaped, unshaped????? WTF, who cares about my shape?

I'm wanting something REALIABLE and FAST, as used to speeds of 2.2Mb/s DL and 1.1Mb/s UL.

Can someone please help!

Thx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andreas

Andreas

Justin, are you going to need it while you're mobile or would a permanent line suffice?

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

5. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Mobile (3G) would be awesome 1st prise, but that only leaves you MTN and Vodacom? not to keen on the like of Iburst, as they don't have enough coverage?

Was thinking of fixed line and perhaps adding a small data bundle to my Cell contract for those times I need while out in the field.

Thanks Dallas, I'll check out those links.

6. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

What is unshapped?

And does www.marineaquariumsa.com fall under "local" website or not? as telkom give a couple GB free for local.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry MASA is not local ... Its close to viper so will not be able to use from your local data allocation.....

8. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Can anyone help with what they mean by shaped / unshaped?

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Google is your friend:razz:

Shaped Service- The programs that you run on your computer work using something called port addresses. A port address can be used to group programs into certain classes. If a program connects on port 80, we can be pretty sure that the program is used to browse web pages. If a program connects on port 25, we can be pretty sure that program is used to send mail. If you consider what type programs you use everyday, you will realise that it is a fairly small suite and these programs are common to almost all internet users eg web browsers, mail programs and file transfer programs. A shaped service gives higher priority to these types of "common" programs. Since the programs that are prioritised are well defined, bandwidth is easier to manage and the service can be made cheaper. The shaped service should be good enough for almost all internet users.

Unshaped Service- Ports are not prioritized in an unshaped service which implies all programs get the same priority as all others. This service may be useful to you if you are using a program that most people do not use such as a stock trading program or a game that requires quick response times to international servers. Since the programs that require high priority are not defined, more bandwidth needs to be provided so that it appear that all programs are working equally fast. As a result this service is much more expensive -please see the prices here :Do you offer unshapped accounts and, if so, how ...

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Justin - I am at AfriHost (WEB HOSTING? ADSL? | R29/GB ADSL & Website Hosting | South Africa). And I have never been happier!

I have a 3GB capped account, but my account is completely "unshaped".

To answer you 2nd question, "shaped" means that they "throttle" certain protocols, and traffic over certain ports (ie. for online gaming, email, peer-to-peer download applications, etc).... "Throttle" means they bring the speed artificially down....

"Unshaped" means "no throttling" - meaning - no "artificial management" of the line speed for certain protocols and TCP/UDP ports......

As I have mentioned before - TRY "Afrihost" - you can take a "month-to-month" contract (but HAVE to sign a debit order) - where you can cancel within one month.

And they are exceptionally cheap...... R197 per month for an "uncapped" 384 kbps ADSL account (the faster your line, the more this amount per month is for "uncapped").....

11. jacquesb

Dallas - I tried Axxess - and they started out good, and after 2 months had more outages than being online......

I also tried "OpenWeb" - same story as "Axxess"....

12. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Got confused between shaped, unshaped and caped and uncaped.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010
  13. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, I did google just after I posted...LOL

Thanks JB, I'll check them out, do you only get 384, 512 and 4096, no 1024 or 2048?

14. jacquesb

Jip Justin. No 1024 or 2048 lines unfortunately..... I don't think that Telkom offers these speeds either? (anymore?)......

15. Jacojs

Jacojs

I'll be checking out afrihost cause my 3G sucks ass at the moment.

Jaco.

16. jacquesb

Jaco - I have tried about 5 different ISP's in 6 months.... and settled on AfriHost so far....

I also have MTN and Vodacom 3G...... My 3G (for both) is good in certain areas, excellent in others, and absolutely TERRIBLE in some others.......

My "responsiveness feeling" have increased about 5x since I went over to AfriHost - just because of their low contention ratio, and because of the fact that all their packages are unshaped......

(I think that their contention ratio is about 20 to 1 - where other ISP's are about 40 to 1).....

17. Jacojs

Jacojs

Excellent, thanks Jacques!!

Jaco.

18. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

I currently pay R354 for 3GB and a 3mb line (wireless, so no need for telkom lines etc) this ISP is only available in potch though :p

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010
  19. SIMS

SIMS

I'm on Mweb uncapped - its shit

20. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Very useful thread. Jacques, you probably know, if I would change from Telkom to Afrihost, I will loose my telkomsa.net email address. Right?

21. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

JB

For a 512K line rental (R326) and uncapped 512K service (R297) = R623 is very good!
    and 4096K line rental (R413 and uncapped 4096K service (R497) = R910 is awesome!

Just wonder what the actual speeds would be like on the 4096K setup....?

Recent Posts