Is topping up with RO bad over the long run?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Duri, 18 Apr 2011.

1. Duri

Duri

I know you suppose to do water changes... my tank is now in week 4 and I have been topping up with RO...finish a 20L.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

not bad cos only the water evaporates, salt remains in the system therefore it is recommended to only top off with RO and not salt mix....

4. Duri

Duri Thread Starter

:thumbup: thank you

5. rakabos

rakabos

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yip, check in my signature ;)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can easily top up 10% of your system with RO per week. Obviously there are a lot of factors influencing the evaporation rate, like ambient temperature, fans, lights, algae scrubbers etc...
    That is why an Auto TopUp unit is needed. It will keep the salinity level a lot more stable, and that is one of the first and important things to master. Else a manual top up every morning and afternoon until you get gatvol and go and buy an ATU.

I manually top up about 1.5L per day on my 90L shrimp tank. And I'm getting gatvol.

8. IMarine

IMarine

a good thing to do is use 1tsp for every 25lt top up, and mix well,i never top up plain ro always buff your water as with reefbuilder your ph will never go higher than 8,4 and then buy using reefbuilder you always have a ph 8,2-8,4 and no prob by toping up even for 2 months with just ro, but then you got to use a good multivitamin for corals and fish

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

I kinda disagree with topping with only RO water. What about salt creep, salt water removed by the skimmer, dripping fish? It all adds up. Every now and then I actually put some salt in my ro water to counter act other factors.

10. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Interesting point there @Manic, but if you're doing weekly or fortnightly 20% water changes? this is in my case and not Duri, I only top off with RO (about 25l per week) and water change every 2 weeks. my salinity is a constant 1.026

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes Agree @Manic.
    My display salinity do drop eventually over a month or two, not rapid, but slowly to 1.0245. Skimmer and salt creep.
    For dripping fish, I switch my ATU off when I drip fish. And the water I throw away, I throw in a bucket. When done, I add that same amount water from salt mix drum. So I ensure that the dripping do not impact my salinity.
    But yes, skimmer does slowly remove some.

The shrimp tank, no skimmer, salinity stays stable and is 1.025 after I top-up (manually). No salt creep at all.

Yes I do agree, over time, the salinity of your display will drop slowly. But you must check your water change new water before you add it that it matches your display. Or if display a bit low, just increase the new water a bit to counter the level and to bring it up again.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I do the same as Riaan with the dripping and check salinity at least twice a week and adjust if needed. It will drop over long periods as Manic said.
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. Duri

Duri Thread Starter

Cool I need to do a water change soon.
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it coming.

14. Donovan

Donovan

JUst my 2c worth i might be wrong but i drip kalkwasser into my Auto top up Right or wrong

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A lot of guys do it as the auto top up works through a kalkstirrer. Nothing wrong with that. The only downside is that the kalkwasser is added inconsistantly as the evaporation is not the same during summer, winter, day and night.

Also when you use a fan to combat heat the evaporation will increase causing more kalkwasser to be added. Guys with more sensitive species might use the manual method where they make up a kalk slurry and introduce the same amount daily. Only problem with this is when you go away you need to rely on someone to do this maintenance for you.

I used the auto top up/kalkstirrer system in my cube and never had any big pH fluctuations. kH and calcium were also fairly consistant, but no two tanks are the same ;)

Recent Posts