Is this safe for levelling

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mekaeel, 4 Feb 2008.

1. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

hi crew,was just wondering if i should use this for leveling my new stand or do it the old way with metal plating (how my tank is currently sitting) .the tank is a 6 ft

[​IMG]

this will give you and idea of the stands base

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Mekaeel - I am tagging along on this one - I have no idea. I know that someone even used trolley wheels once for their tank..... BUT I have no idea. Perhaps some of the physics experts can help out here.... My logic says "yes" - it should work fine.... BUT, I am no expert...

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

oh and i should add theres 6 of these on the stand

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not sure if this is one of those thread-type adjusters or solid ?

If thread-type, Wouldn't take the chance. We make TV stands and I seen those adjusters snap. normally because one of them is a lot higher than the rest and loads of weight is being held by a couple of threads.

Bang TV on it's face.

6. Hill

Hill

From the pic, it looks plastic/nylon. Is this correct?

7. lIghty

lIghty

Wouldn't trust them if they are plastic, if they where metal maybe, but on a 6ft I would go for 8, reducing the load on each on.

8. Mekaeel

correct Hill,but its got a metal bolt in it.im a bit sceptical.think i should just remove it and level the old fashion way.but the stand is built by a very reliable tank and stand builder

9. Muz

Muz

Hi there

My tank is also quite long and even though I did my best when doing the tiles, over a 2m span the floor dips about 5 -6 mm, this is not much in the greater scheme of things but I will need the tank 100% level to be happy.. so I contacted a company that makes adjustable feet.. they are fantastic ( PM me if you want their details ) the only problem is that they were very expensive and would have added about R600 to the tank price, so I went to an engineering company and asked them to work out based on the stress of the bolts how many I would need and what thickness. They said 6 x 12mm bolts will hold no problem and will take a ton of water Ok.. So I am just having my own welded onto the base of the stand.

Your one looks OK but I would put board under the tank as well and I would put your feet onto a metal plate then onto the board, expecially if you have tiles, you can if you wish, bounce a golf ball on the tiles and listen for air pockets.. but just to be safe use a 21mm shutter board or something similar.

My 2c

Muz

10. Mekaeel

thanks for the input there Muz.ive made up my mind and im removing those things and going for my old fashioned way.stainless steel metal plating

11. koi500

koi500

hi guys my 2c worth - my tank weighs a just over a ton. have adjustable bolts passing thru nuts welded to the legs of the frame 12mm bolts nine bolts in all to spread the load over the area 1.4 x 1m. had a concrete base (350mm thick ) thrown to support the frame which is free standing outside the house. frame welded and painted 25mm square tubing which allows for the welding of the nuts centered on the foot of each leg of the frame - used flat squares of mild steel 12mm thick x 100mm square as a pedastel to support each bolt head. when levelling /filling the tank each time i moved house (three times so far) i cut 50mmx75mmmm lengths of pipe (very accurately)and stood them on the bottom of the bare tank over each leg of the frame. filled water to just cover each pipe and turned each bolt head to achieve absolute identical level on each leg. waited 24 hrs to ensure tank had settled .only one sheet 10mm marine ply then 5mm thick solid rubber mat between tank base and frame - obviously there are many ways to skin a cat but this way works as good as any! good luck with your tank - cheers dave

Kanga likes this.
  12. sandersc

sandersc

Good thinking Dave!

13. Hill

Hill

Good move Mekaeel. I would not trust the plastic.

14. Mekaeel

thanks for your input Dave,very interesting way of doing it.
    yeah Hill,just dont trust that plastic,wouldve been nice to build a tank stand like yours :biggrin:

Recent Posts