Is this overkill?

Reaction score
hey guys k i currently have a Ts1 skimmer, a dsb, and Algae scrubber. i am wanting to go SPS so if i put cheato aswell will this be way overkill in my system.

how big is your tank?

overkill in what way? too MUCH biological filtration??? that doesnt seem possible to me. either you are removing too much nutrient and thus the cheato doesnt grow, or you still have excess and it does grow. Nature works in ballance and your biological flitration should find that ballance..

you can have over kill in mechanical things, mechanical filtration, mechanical dosing, lights etc, but seems unlikely to me that adding more forms of biological filtration should be overkill.

i maybe wrong so i'd appreciate comments if my thinking is flawed.

The more nutrients the more the chaeto and algae will grow - like crispin said. The advantage of this is you can increase your bio load by feeding more and having more fish taking into account their needs for swimming space ;)

just to confirm....increased filtration does not allow you rfoom to over croud, please tale into account the needs of the fish first:)

overkill in what way? too MUCH biological filtration??? that doesnt seem possible to me. either you are removing too much nutrient and thus the cheato doesnt grow, or you still have excess and it does grow. Nature works in ballance and your biological flitration should find that ballance..good valid comment

you can have over kill in mechanical things, mechanical filtration, mechanical dosing, lights etc, but seems unlikely to me that adding more forms of biological filtration should be overkill. good comment , agree

valid comment

I got some cheato from Robin the other day. quiet a bit of it. Now the ball has shrunk in size. Does this mean that my levels are low or what else could it mean? the cheato is under a 26 watt power saver which is equvelent to 160watts

overkill in what way? too MUCH biological filtration??? that doesnt seem possible to me. either you are removing too much nutrient and thus the cheato doesnt grow, or you still have excess and it does grow. Nature works in ballance and your biological flitration should find that ballance..

you can have over kill in mechanical things, mechanical filtration, mechanical dosing, lights etc, but seems unlikely to me that adding more forms of biological filtration should be overkill.

i second this, even if it was posted over two weeks ago, sorry i only saw this now. Crispin is good with greens
I got some cheato from Robin the other day. quiet a bit of it. Now the ball has shrunk in size. Does this mean that my levels are low or what else could it mean? the cheato is under a 26 watt power saver which is equvelent to 160watts
i also had this problem with the first bit i ever got. its the lighting being insufficient and possibly due to not enough nutrients being available? mine was added the day i did a huge NSW water change so that may have been my case, i may be wrong about yours as i dont know your parameters

id go with shaun on that suggestion. Also i think robin has fairly decent lighting in his refrugium so perhaps your lights arent what its used to. I know people say lights are xyz equivalent to a certain W. but i wouldnt accept that as gospel. perhaps you should upgrade the lights above it a little more.

Robin doesn't have fantastic lights in his refugium if I remember correctly.

Do you have any herbivores in there. I found that my hermits loved Chaeto.

Also Chaeto is funny stuff, sometimes it just doen't do well and difficult to know why. Its also possible that if your algae filter is really working, that there is just not enough to grow on. It is supposed to outcompete Chaeto according to the theory.

Suplimental iron and iodine might help.

Robin doesn't have fantastically bright light in his sump. Crispin this light is very bright bud. My algae scrubber is loving it ( its the algae scrubbers light that is also lighting up the cheato. I will do a water test and post the results. BoB i have no hermits in my sump

then could well be a balancing of available nutrients between what the scrubber uses and what is available for the chaeto to use. As i said b4 its going to find a ballance over time, perhaps thats whats happening now.

hey guys k i currently have a Ts1 skimmer, a dsb, and Algae scrubber. i am wanting to go SPS so if i put cheato aswell will this be way overkill in my system.
The boys are correct. I cannot see an overkill using all that biological filteration and keeping SPS. It will help in nutrient export, therefore increasing growth and colours on your SPS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom