Is this now also becomming a nuisance Algae

Our government is not intelligent enough to worry about things like caulerpa macro algae in our tanks. Neither about caulerpa taking over our reefs. All they care about, is making REALLY stupid decisions on banning SCUBA diving by trying to catch poachers ;-)

Our government is not intelligent enough to worry about things like caulerpa macro algae in our tanks. Neither about caulerpa taking over our reefs. All they care about, is making REALLY stupid decisions on banning SCUBA diving by trying to catch poachers ;-)
did they nab you recently jacques?...want to stop them catching you? easy, stop poaching:):razz:

It can be classed as a nuisance algae in the ocean as it can literally overtake a reef and kill everything, we all know how fast it can grow. There is a reported case of this happening with pics in the USA somewhere.

i saw a website recently, this stuff is not only taking over the entire seabed, but it's a propogated species we cross bred to help our fish tanks:(

Wow, some evil stuff, do we have laws like this in South Africa ?

Hi Warr

There is a general ban on the introduction of any captive held species back into "the Wild" I will find the relevant regulation and post it.

Jacque sadly when certain individuals tried to mobilise the diving community to object to the restriction the community was so divided and scattered that no lobby group or stakeholder orginisation could be formed. We are attempting to achieve this with the Provincial and Llocal reef clubs now, so please support this else the next will be the restriction or banning of the importation of ornimental fish.

Carl

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Carl - do you belong to the online south African SCUBA diving forum?
I belong to a few - and there was a petition signed and delivered where close to 6000 SCUBA divers actually signed the petition. BUT it was BLATANTLY IGNORED by the MCM and the Minister.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about regarding the marines/saltwater banning. I have spoken to someone a few months ago at the Department of Agriculture, and they then told me that they are worried about the saltwater imports, that species are being put into the boxes that are NOT ordered.

This includes macro algae, ie. the caulerpa species....

So - YES - it is POSSIBLE that this COULD happen.

Do I think that our government will actively make a stance about this - possibly, BUT it will take a LONG LONG LONG time, only after there are some species that actually become extinct. Like ABALONE.

I used to work very closely to government departments in many occasions in the past.

We all know what they are like.

Back
Top Bottom