Is This Lens Worth It ??

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Singularity, 19 Oct 2010.

1. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi just want to know from the experts if it will be worth while to get the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM MACRO @ R5400 for my 550D, or what would you suggest in the same price range

Specifications
    35mm equivalent focal length range: 160mm
    Lens perspective: Short Telephoto
    Minimum aperture: f32
    Image stabilisation: Lens Stabilisation
    Ultrasonic motor: Yes
    Special lens elements: 15 Elements in 12 Groups
    Filter size: 58mm
    Weight: 625g
    Dimensions: 77.7 x 123mm
    Maximum magnification: 1

or i can get Canon EOS 60D with 18-135mm IS Lens Kit for a few rands more, which would you prefer.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaboon

gaboon

The 60d is a far superior body, I don't know anything about the 18-135 is lens though, I assume it's pretty decent. You can always look at the macro lens later. Go onto outdoorphoto.co.za, it has a huge classified section updated hourly with canon and nikon lenses at excellent prices.

4. crispin

crispin

i have the same 100mm macro lense and love it. for the price its worth every cent. Its a better lense than your camera body (same issue i have at the mo) but you can upgrade the body at a later date. Frankly id go for that lense straight away. Its fast, opens wide and once you are used to it, its very easy to use

5. Slummies

Slummies

please... please... dont get the 60d.. it is a TERRIBLE camera built for those who know NOTHING about photography! honestly bud. it is maybe MAYBE 1% better camera than the 50d, but still i would have a 50d anyday!!!

go for the 550d. i mate has one and im quite impressed with it plus the video. great entry level camera. or save up a bit and buy the 7d!!

oh and thats nice lens, you need a good tripod though since im sure it will be used for the tank:)

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I used a friends for some tank shots on my 7D. Yes its awesome wide open but your depth of field is so shallow that you cant really take a pic of the whole coral. For that you have to stop it down to F11 and further depending on the size of the coral and how far away you are from it (focusing distance). Once you stop it down to F11 the shutterspeed is drastically effected and you need a tripod or very high ISO. I dont think I will get one soon. I have a 24-105 F4 and rather use that. Yes its much more expensive but I have it. I also have the 18-135. It was launched as the one of the standard kit lenses to the 7D. Its not bad, sharp in the centre but does go soft rather quickly ehrn open wide at F3.5. It is nice and sharp all round at F8. It does not have a USM motor so the focussing is slower and noisier. I used the 18-135 for my tank shots before I got the 24-105. To fork out another R5400 for a 100mm macro which you have to stop down does not make sense to me. Others will disagree. I rather prefer the flexibility of the zoom. Much easier than taking the tripod and moving it further away from the tank to fit in the whole coral.

7. crispin

crispin

id agree with most of what you say there marius, if you are only looking at tank photography with relativley lower light situations than is normally found with macro photography. ive found the 100mm to be excelent outside as well as being usable (but not excelent) for tank photography. I primarily use the 100mm to photograph bees, both inside and outside a hive and its fast and gives crisp clear shots, especially on a good camera body. But then it should be said we could do far better with increased lighting in tank for photography.

8. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I am planning on getting a fast 50mm prime for my tank photos. I think the 50mm focal length is a lot easier for tank shots than 100mm. 100mm is just too far for such a confined space.

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Also just remember that the 100 f2.8 does not have image stabilisation. Those specs are wrong.

10. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hi there
    Everyone so far has made excellent points. But, what is it you want the lens to do? Remember also that, as seen above, the 100mm becomes 160mm on a digital camera. These lenses are excellent for outdoor, any light, conditions for taking crisp clear shots. This is more evident in low light and for action shots due to the fast apperture. As the others have said, this lens is not the best for very close up macro photography (like we use in for tank shots). The best lenses for this are the wider angle, 18 - 50mm, lenses, preferably with IS and at around F1.4 to F2.
    Kalahari.net currently has this lens:
    [​IMG]
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4.5-5.6 IS Lens
    for about R3655. This is a slower lens but with IS and a much wider zoom ranger from fairly wide angle to a decent telephoto.

SaCamera.co.za has this lens:
    Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS

For about R5599 IMO this is the best option in the price bracket. It is faster (not yet a F2.8) but at F3.5 at 18mm it will give a really excellent (not extremely narrow depth of field) tank photo and the zoom capability makes it a very useful lens to have.
    I agree that you should concentrate on getting the best glass you can (i.e lens) for what you want rather than try for the body. The 550D is not a bad body at all and holds pretty much all the functionality you will need, unless you are trying to go pro. Body's have traditionally (before the advent of digital) been just a box to hold the best quality film and best quality glass one could afford. In today's digital world it is not much different except in the cost ;). One must get a decent body with a sensor that is at least 6 megapixel or higher ( as high as one can afford). But still the most important equipment for taking the best picture you can lies in the lens you use.

This is just me 10c worth. Hope it helps a little. ;):)

11. gaboon

gaboon

Double post

12. gaboon

gaboon

Wow, just read reviews now, I assumed it was a great cam because the 50d was brilliant. Surely it is much better than the 550d though. Agreed a 7d is the answer but is in a different price bracket altogether.

See if you can pick up a 50d, about a grand
    More than the 550d

13. Singularity

Singularity Thread Starter Hmmm amper!

havent checked now, but does the 50d also have hd video ?

14. Slummies

Slummies

gaboon: i dont know local prices, all i know is that we get ripped off here. i have just bought a canon 15mm fisheye (which i might be selling if anyone is keen) for around R1200 less than if i bought it here.

the 550d and they 60d have the same image processor: DIGIC 4...

i promise you bud, rather go for the cheaper body and save up for a better lens. btw, B&H sells 7d for around R10 000 depending on the exchange

15. Slummies

Slummies

no, the only down side. my next body will be the 7d, gonna skip the 60d!!!!!

16. Slummies

Slummies

good choice lens. it is the only lens i use. however, for tank photography i would also like a macro cos i cant get to close the subject with the 50mm. my fish eye is arriving soon so im keen to put that to the test!

Marius, just to give you an idea on how versatile this lens is:

standard tank shot:
    [​IMG]

I took this pic of a friend of mine, he is a local homeless guy who hangs around the beach
    [​IMG]

My passion is surf photography and this was shot at a very secretive spot near EL:
    [​IMG]

17. Singularity

18. Slummies

Slummies

good buy, check out ORMS.co.za they will ship to you and pretty good price too

19. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

What is it that you want to do with your photography. R10K is quite a bit just to take pics of a tank.

20. Singularity

This is just for general macro photography, i am only really interested in macro photography that is why i want a somewhat decent lens.

21. Slummies

Slummies

well then go for a cheaper body and better lens boet

Recent Posts