Is this jelly fish reef safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by herkie, 28 Feb 2010.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I was at a local beach today and found a smallish transparent purple jelly fish. It was washed out on the sand and when I looked at it closely I saw it was alive. I brought it home and now have it in a container with a air stone in. When I got home with it I thought it died while travelling. When checking it out a few minutes ago I found it pulsing and alive. It must have taken a beating in the surf and its tentacles or whatever it is called looks a bit damaged. It had some sand stuck to it but it now seems to be shaking the sand off. Does it have a chance of surviving and can one put it in your tank? What do they eat and what are their water condition needs?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The best would be to google jellies and see if you can find a match and get info on it. Pics speaks a thousand words ;)
    Also, I don't think a normal tank is jelly friendly as they can get sucked into flow pumps and even get stuck in the overflow. Jellies need special aquariums like this one

[​IMG]

4. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

Thanks Tobes, It makes me sad though, I would have loved to keep it.

Recent Posts