Is this green cyano?

Reaction score
21254f1541da7d07e.jpg

21254f1541dacc218.jpg

slimy to the touch, goes away at night, comes back in the day.

all parameters normal.

how do i get rid of it??? tried upping my alk, didn't do much.

I could be wrong...but it looks like this...
bluegreencyano.jpg

Description: Forms a slimy mat of green goop for lack of a better term. Usually greenish despite name, but can be darker as it appears in this picture.

Removal: This stuff is difficult to get rid of, but can be done if you persevere. Capable of surviving in low to zero light and without nitrates, it only needs phosphates in your tank to feed off of. You can prevent it by utilizing mangroves and macroalgae that will reduce the phosphates in your tank and prevent it from forming. If you have a break out and are trying to deal with an established problem, then you should consider adding a chemical phosphate removal system to kill it. The setup, (you need a phosban reactor and a filter media), may run you up to $75, before tubing and getting your tank setup going. Increase flow to dead spots.

Fun Fact: Scientists believe Blue Green Cyano was one of the first life forms on our planet.
Ultimate Nuisance Algae Thread - 3reef Forums

I've just read on RC that a good way to get rid of cyano, because it thrives off light, is to cut the lights out for 3 days straight and run actinics on the 4th day so as to not burn your corals. I was thinking about doing this so can anybody maybe verify or add to this?

Here's the link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13302087&postcount=7

Last edited:
Problem with a blackout is that it only gives you a temporary fix. Its a bacteria and if some remains in the tank after the blackout it will just restart colonizing. You have to treat the cause.

Back
Top Bottom