Is this going to work

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by badbiker, 13 May 2010.

1. badbiker

badbiker

Hi
    Here I m posting some pics. need experts to check my ATS glass setup is it going to work or need some modification .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 May 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

looks good, however I dont know how well the algae will grow on glass (i assume it is glass)... you may want to put some sort of screen on there to help the algae get a foot hold .....

Flow appears good though

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you just rough up the surface then it will work. No problems with that, apart from the single side.

5. robertkukla

robertkukla

i agree get it very rough and try that , if it is glass it will be imposible to make it rough try perspex

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

For the glass, you just get a glass sand paper, then go mad with the electric sander and you will have some very rough glass in no time.

7. Boegie

Boegie

Yes, rough it up.

8. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

thnx guys

9. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

oh just one Q

can I stick rough rag with glue on the glass??????

10. PeterL

PeterL

You get a prodeuct which is commonly used on mosquito screen doors, however you get it which is made in both plastic and fibre glass. Keep in mind that things like material will deteriorate over time so you would want to lean toward a product like a form of plastic.

Have a look in my pics and you will see that my ATS is o a similar nature, I have a smooth piect of perspex behind and the actualy ATS surface I have just rested what used to be an under-gravel filter which I cut to size and roughened up a bit more. You can see it in more detail because mine is also very new and not yet built the algae in the pics. It will give you an idea but I think you are on the right though lines with using another product on the surfact of the glass.

Why I rested the item on the perspex (well, I have it pinned in with a cable tie/zip tie, you can see that near the bottom, it is just pushed through a hole I drilled in the perspex but not actualy tied), is because come time to clean it, you just take it off easily and give it a clean and put it back simply. Having to cut it off or battle with the thing is something I don't want to battle with, when cleaning time comes, it is going to be gross to work with, imagine battleing to work with an algae covered thing you got to really get into with your hands to remove....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 May 2010
  11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Also bring the light closer;)

12. PeterL

PeterL

Sorry, quickly hi-jacking a part of the thread for a moment but may be useful to your setup with this discussion so I will continue...
    I put the light in place on that "plank" in about 20min on a Sunday evening to get it running, the game plan was to do a proper job of it this week-end and even look at the design of the wrap around cupboard - so the ATS will only run like that for a week before I improve it's lighting (moving it closer anyhow). You see the board on the floor in front of the tank, if that isn't in place, you are blinded by the light...It is good lighting on the face of the ATS in action, but I don't like the idea of it sitting the way it is. I have some spare timber which I intend on building a decent mounting which I can put right up as close as possible but you got to look at the size of the light relative to the space constraints, I can also only get it just so cloase and then I am out of room...There is a return pipe getting in my way there which I hae to consider, fortunately the large light is really a 45W energy saver spot so it doesn't give of heat, the little warmth which comes off is neglagable - I can put my hand litterally on the front glass of the light and it is barely warm. The reason for that for me was to reduce evaporation but provide maximum light I could, already on a 250L system I am replacing close to 25L of RO per week - time to consider and RO unit???

Recent Posts