Is this definitely bryopsis?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by danimal, 22 Jul 2014.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

Thought this was GHA for a while but now I think it may be bryopsis - can anyone confirm?

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Dan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

if you pull it off and it comes off the rock easily it's hair algae but if you have problems pulling g it off then it's bryopsis. be careful when pulling it off not to let any small particles float in the water... they will attach somewhere and if it's bryopsis which has very strong roots that go deep into the rock you will have problems.

4. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

To me that looks a lot like bryopsis. I would recommend replacing the rock with another.

What I had success with was to use plastic bags and elastic bands. Place the bag over the bryopsis area including the root area of the rock. Close and attach the bag to the rock. If this is possible I injected peroxide into the bag and left it there fir a week. Re injecting fresh peroxide into the bag.

Your rock appears to be near the top if the tank with easy access. I'd just remove it if the bryopsis is isolated to one rock

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

Thanks guys. This is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I've been pretty busy lately travelling a lot and haven't had much time to maintain the tank other than the necessaries.

So when the algae first started I thought it was GHA, not too serious, must just change my phosphate media which I did but it didn't have much of an effect on the algae. On closer inspection I realised it my be bryopsis and not GHA. Was away for 2 weeks and when I got back last week the algae is everywhere. Researching now to see the best way to get rid of it. Seems like raising Mg is one method that some have had success with?

6. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Yes you can raise the Mg it does work, search the forums for relevant threads.

It's cheaper to buy a new rock IMO

7. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

that would mean replacing all my live rock - the stuff is everywhere! :eek:

8. Dian6430

Dian6430

Raising Mg to 1600 worked for me. Looks like the bryopsis starts to melt and then it goes away.

9. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

@danimal

I thought a bit more about my last reply.... Id like to ask you some questions.

How many litres is your tank?

I was going to ask if it was on more then one rock or on many.

If its a tank less then 1000L and the bryopsis is everywhere, then I would follow a regime over 2 months that will see you slowly ramp the MG up over a few weeks and then hold it over the +1800 - 1850 levels and then let it fall back to 1400-1450.

You need to use specific products that raise Mg levels. This is because its not actually the Mg that kills the bryopsis but an element used by the chemist in his recipe for the product. That when dosed to achieve +1800 Mg levels actually enables the "other element" to be at the correct concentration to kill off the Bryopsis.

Those are the facts as I know them and I have looked into this significantly as I had Bryopsis outbreak 15 months ago that I got under control with it never returning.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. ricky

ricky

I had success recently using Brightwells Magnesion.
    I added it by squirting the Magnesion with a syringe directly onto the bryopsis.
    It literally melted away.

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I used Epsom salts a few years ago to get rid of briopsis and it worked. The elevated Mg levels prevents the algae from consuming nutrients on a cellular level if I remember correctly and it then dies off. I did the elevated Mg levels regime and then manual removal since you don't want any nutrients to be released back into the water when it dies. I used a scissors and cut the algae as short as I could while syphoning it out.

12. VicZA

VicZA

Would it work if I used the Red Sea Magnesium supplement to raise the Mg to 1600-1800 ? How does this affect other organisms in the tank ? Thinking specifically about food sources for things like snails and also how it could affect sps ?

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The elevated Mg levels did not affect any livestock in my tank. You can safely raise it by 50ppm per day. I sometimes did around 70ppm as that was what the effect was of one box of Epsom salts.

14. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

total volume 400 litres

cant seem to find any of the Brightwells stuff in Durban, will the aquavitro ions stuff do the same job?

15. ricky

ricky

Not to sure about aquavitro as I've never used it.

16. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

so just thought I'd give an update on the situation.

I used Epsom Salts to raise the Mg level as it takes such a large quantity that it would get expensive quickly using a brand name additive.

Once the level was at 1600 I switched to the Brightwells Magnesion. THat bottle ran out fast, I went to get more from @TheWaterboy but he didn't have any left so I tried the Thrive Mg as per his suggestion.

Nothing changed for perhaps 10 days after switching to the Thrive. Was still pulling clumps out regularly and it didn't seem to be slowing down it's growth at all. I was in the process of trying to procure some Kent Mg when I noticed the algae looked a little paler than usual. Two days after that there was a definite decrease in the amount of bryopsis in the system. At this point I noticed two of my corals (yellow pincushion and pagoda) looking a bit bleached. Polyps still extended like normal but a definite loss of colour.

I stopped dosing the Thrive at this point as I wasn't sure I could trust my Mg readings anymore, and manually pulled out as much as I could of the remaining bryopsis.

Three days later I have zero byopsis in my tank :thumbup: even the little bits I couldnt get to are gone. :)

I'm going to do a big waterchange tonight and have been dosing amino acids and iodine in a bid to get those corals back to normal.

So far, so good!

17. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

glad its gone, but dont do a large water change as the Mg shift will be quite large....
    i would run the Mg high for a while longer as when it lowers the bryopsis can come back, i know :(

but if you do a big WC, keep ph and Alk in check

18. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks @dallasg

what do you thinking about the corals bleaching?

19. dallasg

from high Mg?

20. dallasg

Too big a rise in magnesium can also bleach corals, if it happens suddenly, so taking it down slowly will help

the best way to take down with WC is to use a FOWLR salt with lower levels in Ca,Alk,Mg and buffer it as needed, IIRC Mg takes a while to deplete

21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I used the aquavitro range, it works, but not a short term solution. Hope it doesn't come back. Bryopsis is the white spot of macro algae

Recent Posts