Is this chalice bleaching?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Mc, 8 May 2012.

1. Mc

Mc

Hi all

I bought this chalice coral a few weeks back and it has been slowly getting more and more brown. It is quite high up in my tank as that was the only place I had for it and I read mixed reports about its positioning. The coral beauty angel has nipped at it a bit, but he has done that with a lot of coral without much notable affect.

I suspect the lighting is a bit intenese higher up in my tank, as I have quite strong led lighting. I moved it to the floor today.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this?
    Also if there is anything else I can do for it?
    I have an iodine based dip I could use on it, but if its bleaching I don't think that would help. Any useful advice will be appreciated.

This is when I first got it, a bit hard to see the colour with the blue lighting.

[​IMG]

This is a pic I took today. It has a bit of sand on it because I just moved it.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Nope, doesn't look like bleaching to me. I'd go for lower rather than higher light for chalices, so moving it to the bottom was probably a good move.

Mc likes this.
  4. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks, any idea what it could be?

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Just looks like it's just adjusting to the different light source. Nearly all of my LPS changed colour somewhat after a few weeks/months under LEDs.

I had a couple Euphyllia bleach slightly because I underestimated the intensity of the LEDs, but moving them down a bit quickly fixed that. Local greyish zoanthids have all gone rainbow coloured after 4-5 months under LED...very pleased with that.

6. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks I really hope you are right.
    I experienced the same thing with some local zoas going rainbow coloured, they looked amazing untill I had a tank crash while I was in natal, I will have to get some more sometime.

7. juan R

juan R

I had the same thing happen to my chalice when i had it high up in tank. I moved down to the bottom and it has fully recovered again. After doing some research i discovered that they dont like very intense light. I always have a look where it is placed at the LFS when buying it and then placing it at more or less the same level at home.

8. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks juan.

9. Achilles

Achilles

looks like a bit of slow tissue necrosis caused by stress of some kind light, water parameters? ahh i see you mention nipping so that might be damaged bits that look like stn but it doesnt appear bleached to me

bleached that would mean lightening in colour, you say it is going darker which means the zooxanthellae in tissue are increasing this can be due to higher nutrients and strong light

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  10. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Sorry achilles, I may have put that in the wrong way what I meant is it is losing it blue colour and going brown, which as you say can be from the increase in zooxanthallae.

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

Yup, @Achilles has it. The increase in brown colour is from the zooanthellae population increasing due to higher nutrients. The LFS probably has lower nutrients in their tanks or it may just not have been in their tanks long enough for the change to occur if they do have high nutrients

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts