Is this algae good or bad?

Reaction score
I've had this purple algae on my rocks for a while now . I had always assumed it was coralline algae, but I don't think coralline algae is as fluffy as this right? Is this algae a good or a bad thing? I always thought it looked pretty cool, especially if u compare it to green algae or slimy algae.

image.jpg

They have some sand on them as triggerfish was digging and caused a storm, but as u can see the algae is rather fluffy

image.jpg

Last edited:
It is very hard to get rid of. Even reducing nutrients is not that effective. You have already noticed how fast it can spread as it is all over your tank. Covering you rock will reduce its filtering capability a lot.

It is very hard to get rid of. Even reducing nutrients is not that effective. You have already noticed how fast it can spread as it is all over your tank. Covering you rock will reduce its filtering capability a lot.

Any suggestions? It has been in my tank quite a long time so I would be willing to try anything, even if it a slow process, maybe get 5 or 6 Mexican turbo snails to start with? I am also fitting in a refugium very soon so that might help.

I'd also like to add that I added a very large piece of rock a month or two back and this algae has not spread onto it, in fact there has been some nice pink and orange coralline algae spreading on the new rock.

My foxface and tang eat it too, but they just trim it down and don't clean the rock completely , after searching online I think turbo snails are my best bet

Coming to think of it now, I have had this algae on my rock ever since I first set up my tank, the rocks came with it

Last edited:
U will probably find ur Fox face has been keeping it nice and short for the time being. Maybe start taking rock out and scrubbing it off, try the Mexicans as well

U will probably find ur Fox face has been keeping it nice and short for the time being. Maybe start taking rock out and scrubbing it off, try the Mexicans as well

Id prefer not to take rocks out and scrub.. will only do that as a last resort. What about this product Coral Snow | korallen-zucht.de I have read a situation where somebody used to stop it growing .

Last edited:
I don't think that's going to work. Try the snail's and see how it works out. Else if u can get one of our local rabbit fish they are champion algae eaters but dog ugly.

Yoh that's hectic I use to have something similar velvet looking algae...

I removed and scrubbed each rock with hard bristle hand held brush in normal luke warm water.
Lowered my temp to 24 and left lights off for 3 days and it worked, it eventually started disappearing of what remained.

Oh and Increase flow over the rocks.

Mined started covered my corals, was not good.

goodluck

:eek:your back glass too... scrape it off and keep a fine net with you to capture the debris (put pumps off its easier)

Last edited:
Thanks guys i will start off with about 10-20 mexican turbo snails. LFS will get some in 2 weeks time. Will scrape back glass now too

Last edited:
Just a suggestion! If you are panning on setting up a refugium you could stick that rock with algae in there. Let it grow wild! You then have the option of cleaning remaining rock in DT, or replacing with new rock.

In my previous tank I had the same problem and got a tip that I should put some sea urchins in the tank and added 4 and they cleaned the rock nicely , it took a wile but it helped .

Just a suggestion! If you are panning on setting up a refugium you could stick that rock with algae in there. Let it grow wild! You then have the option of cleaning remaining rock in DT, or replacing with new rock.

Most of my rock is covered . I cleaned the glass completely yesterday . Foxface and tang used to constantly pick at the algae on the back glass do hopefully now they will turn only to the rocks , will get done snails and maybe a couple of urchins as suggested ice also heard that the tuxedo urchins like this stuff

Back
Top Bottom