is this a problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kevin34PE, 24 May 2013.

1. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Is the weird purply red colouring a problem? I have decided not to clean my back glass and to let it grow closed. Just want to make sure its the right stuff growing.

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It looks like the start of cyanobacteria, not good stuff but treatable.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@viper357 could be right. It's difficult to tell from the pictures. An easy test, take a finger and try to wipe it off if its soft slimy and comes off easily, its cyanobacteria. If it's hard it might be coralline algae, which is not bad

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

how long has it been there in those proportions. if few days only its definitely not coralline algae as coralline takes long to spread to that size. most likely cyano in that case

6. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

yes def cyno have seen the same thing on a 110 l nano that has recently developed cyno problems..

Last edited: 24 May 2013
  7. pkc

pkc

If it comes off easily, it is cyano. We all hate cyano,but if you can keep it off your live rock and else where, like on the back of your aquarium possibly,( though it is better externally), because it is a far better nutrient importer then algae. The main issue, a part from this life form being able to cover most stationary inverts, is that it will go to spore when waters reach and breach 28c and those spores are toxic to everything. I use it externally with the caulerpa as it grows over the caulerpa, before it smoothers the caulerpa i remove it by brushing it off and it goes into my settling filters and that’s the nutrients exported via cyano and also trim the caulerpa. It can be used nicely for nutrient importing-exporting, so that the waste it would normally take out, is done externally so the cyano doesn’t to grow in the aquarium, at all. The same thing with the algae used for importing-exporting.Cyano is a major player in keeping earth a place where we can all exist.

8. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

It's grown gradually from the setup of the tank. Moved everything from smaller tank to this tank. Water is running at 21deg Celsius, cold water tank. No heaters.

9. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Tank doesn't get sunlight,and lights only on when I get home from work at 6pm till the bed time. If it is cyano,how do I get rid of it?

10. pkc

pkc

Take out its food supply and run your aquarium at 24c to 25c.At the moment you are running enough light for it to exist and not enough for other actual algae that will extract its food supply and partially starve it out. Run some algae remotely with 18 to 20ish hour lighting per 24 hours and amongst that 20 hours make sure that’s the time your aquarium lighting has its lights off time. While your aquariums lighting is off, the algae area has to have lighting on over it, or the manufactured co2 from all forms of algae will assist cyano in its growth. I have my algae areas lighting on with 3 two foot 10 watt led fluoro tubes from 2 pm till 10 am, roughly, and my aquariums lighting on from 7 am till 9.30 pm. You see what I mean? Even the corals symbiotic algae will manufacture co2 when photosynthetic lighting is unavailable, to a degree.
    Plus cyano responds to metals from your fish’s waste and fish foods, for this you need a sink style area in your bio filtering areas, not live rock!

Recent Posts