Is this a Nudibranch

Reaction score
Is this a Nidibranch?

I bought my first leather about 2 months ago and after introducing it to my DT I saw a little piece "fall off" and move. The "wound" on the leather where the pice "fell off" healed within seconds, but before I could even realised what happened, my Clarkii grabed the small piece and ducked into the rocks. At first I thought my leatrher was fragging itself, but as a beginner I thought my luck couldn't be that strong... After a major cleaning of equipment on Saturday, I found the "baby" sitting behind a powerhead, but as soon as I touched it, it sucked onto the powerhead like a mussle suck onto the rock.

16994aeff9052b256.jpg

I got it off the rock it was sitting on and in a plastic container (I was told to blast this mother f***r with an RPG rocket launcher, but thought I might cause damage to plastic container).

Is it true, if this is a Nudibranch, that it can destroy a whole tank?

I got all these questions regarding this, but I can't type fast enough.

ps In my eagerness to get in off the rock I might have "stabed" it with the knife, but my concern was the LR it was sitting on

Sorry, had to crop the original (3,3Mb jpg file) down to uploadable size...
Lets try this version:
16994af0336db3d7d.jpg

I see on the net that there's about 9 kazillion species of Nudibranch... Couldn't find this one... :(

Don't flush it until you get a positive ID on it.

Thread moved to the ID needed forum.

I'm with Warr on this one looks very much like a sea hair! In the front does it not have like feelers on its head on its back is there like a volcanoe that looks like its breathing through?

Feelers, yes...
16994af10772f3fea.jpg

Here I got it off a rock and into the container, so you can see the feelers very clearly.

Another alraming "thing" about this creature is the fact that it can chage shape within seconds. Here's a pic of it on the same rock but it doesn't look the same shape anymore.
16994af108677e9f2.jpg

I think my bigest concern is: #1 - To ID it, and #2 the fact that it came off my leather that I kept an eye on for 4 weeks (about 2-3 hours daily).

At first I thought it may be the leather fragging itself, but surely things like that doesn't happen in a tank that is less that one year old...

What I found out about Nudi's on the net is that they camoflage themself. That will explain the fact that I couldn't spot it during the time of quarantine. That will also explain the fact that what I thought was the leather "fragging" itself, was in fact the Nudi releasing itself from the leather. It will also explain the fact that the wound on the leather healed within seconds (a minute at maximum).

Please, I know I may sound like a paranoid beginner, but I don't want to take chances, so any positive ID will be appreciated.

Reading thru the details of figure 11 (by the way, thanks for the link - nice reading / research material) I can see why you say you're taking a chance, flipwhip... Don't know if I'm going to get into $hit for pasting the figure in here, but..
16994af148eeeca74.jpg

The only problem is the booikie I got don't have a shell and it can change shape...

Back
Top Bottom