is there such a thing as a clever anemone?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by warrmich, 22 Nov 2014.

1. warrmich

warrmich

Hi....is there such a thing as a clever anemone....so pissed off...i just flushed my bubble tip anemone down the toilet after it insisted that it must go into the overflow of the tank for the 15th time...so tired of it milking up my water and keeps going there and getting hurt so I just flushed it....my tank has top and bottom exits for water.

is there an anemone out there that I can put in the tank that is good for my perc clowns that wont keep going to the damn water exits.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Clowns don't need a nennie to host. I would leave them without one.
    Considering that your previous one kept on moving around suggests that it something was irritating it.
    Just for future reference, if you are not happy with any animal, rather give it away than to kill it.

Franna29 and carlosdeandrade like this.
  4. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

bro it killed itself....the first time it got ripped in 2 and one half died. This time it got totally mangled and ripped up....i have two mini maxi anemones and a tiny long tentacle sand anemone the size of a ping pong ball and they're sitting put. They moved in the beginning but now they're settled. The bubble tip.....i don't know....

on the other hand, if it survived this time, I would have gladly given it away. I don't kill animals for any reason. Never have and never will.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2014
  5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

you should rather consider getting a torch coral or similar.
    Where all the bennies in the same tank? What size tank was it?

6. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

its a 600L tank...the mini maxis are mid way on the rocks and the LTSA is on the floor half buried under the rocks and all are happy

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

How old is your tank?
    What is your water parameters? What lighting are you using?

A nennie that move is a unhappy nennie!

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  8. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

all my lighting is good (4xt5, 60 watt led unit) parameters are great...had the water tested at lfs today to check. The tank is 3 months old but water, rocks got transferred from 4 year old tank. All my corals and fish are good and happy.

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Thanks for the info.

Is this the first nennie you lost in the tank?

10. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

yup and I've had other that got too big and I gave away. This is the first bubble tip though never liked them but the wife did so I got it. Always had riterri and mini maxis and carpets

11. hammers

hammers

Clowns will host in an elegance coral if it's big enough and they don't move around

12. Reaper

Reaper

A sand anemone is also likely to move a bit until it finds it's spot, but they will mostly stay on the bottom. But I wouldn't recommend putting more nennies in the tank. 2 should be enough in that size...

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My very first bubble tip, years ago. Just did not want to survive. It moved in under the rocks and bleached itself. Could net get to it to feed it either. I tried a few times to move it to more light, but it just did not want any. Eventually I placed it in a upright tube with a small rock in another tank with less intense light. So it got nowhere to go. It tried his best to get under that small rock. It still died.

Last year I got another bubble tip. It split within the first week. Yeah!
    One part stayed put where it was, the other moved in underneath the rock stack where it stayed for about 6 weeks. I think it was in two minds as to where to go, so it split. :)

Again, I could not get to it easily to feed it. Actually neither half did take the small pieces of hake offered to them. Just let it go. Eventually, that hidden half climbed out and move up the back of the rock stack to get some light. It stayed there for about a month when suddenly one afternoon it was at the other side of the tank hiding again.

What I learned from bubble tips is that they will eventually come out and stay put when, and where they want to be.

warrmich likes this.
  14. warrmich

warrmich Thread Starter

thanks riaan...i will try again and this time I'm going to make some little water exit (over flow) guards so it can't get stuck there or sucked in. Will let you know how it goes.

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Firstly, I am sorry for your loss. Secondly, nennies need a very mature stable marine tank that is at least ONE year old, they hate fluctuations in parameters. Even though you have "old" water, you tank is still new as things changes from moving tanks. Bubble tips can hide, Condylactis sp and Heteractis sp like to move more than bubbles do.
    Give it time, this hobby takes patience and perseverance, much research and nerves of steel at times.
    JUST ENJOY IT.

NO3 likes this.
Recent Posts