Is there a chance LEDs have a break in period?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by DerekL, 1 May 2014.

1. DerekL

DerekL

I have a Orphek Atlantik over my 90 gallon tank it is 12" above my water line. This tank was a new build 10 months ago and when I set up tank and lights I ran it in coral acclimation mode as suggested by Orphek. After 3 months I changed it to increased coral growth. Now in the last couple months I have lost all sps colonies and frags that had explosive growth and colors. Water parameters have been stable and it seems as though any sps frag I try doesn't survive. My Lps and few softies are fine and I also have 2 small tridanca clams that are thriving and growing so I am stumped. Could the LEDs have gone though a break in period and now producing more par then they where when I originally had changed the programming to increased coral growth. Things where fine for months after changing to increased coral growth program and since all water parameters check back good could this be a possiblity? Any suggestions ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi @DerekL

what are your actual parameters?. sps can be hardy or sensitive.. depending on what is thrown at them, heat in my experience has been a problem for me in the past but not knowing your system makes me feel we need to delve a little deeper to examine all factors even surrounding your system,

i have had people stumped as to deaths in the tank before with perfect water readings to find out it was a air freshner that was releasing toxins into the atmosphere and being pulled in by the skimmer..

a simple thing that we would never have anticipated untill we dug a little deeper..

more info will definatley help us to help you.. post pics if possible

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

defiantly will need your water parameters here
    no3 po4 alk ca mg sg tank temp

5. NO3

NO3

the problem with LED is that people forget that led is way more powerful than MH. Look at the residential spots you buy a 50W cover a larger area than a 150w MH! so if we apply the same theory to Aquarium LED a 150w Led is pushing 300W in MH terms if not more. I have a Aqua beauty that i tried out, that thing is 105W and makes my 250w MH look like it is off!

If you just changed the the program from acclimatization to normal power i think you may have burnt many of your corals! Pointless measuring the parameters now, you need levels before everything got fried and died! Parameters now will not really be a true reflection of why they died!

6. butcherman

I disagree the issue my still be prevalent in the tank. I had issues with sps and I blamed the LED lights being "to intense" what I didn't realize was that my no3 and po4 had wandered into the ulns range, and my kh was 11....and although the parameters where "stable" it still caused issues. Also I have seen sps easily kept under 400w MH, if the led's had fried your corals everything in your tank would be dead.

If the led's did trigger something in the sps corals, then there is an underlying issue. This issue should be addressed else it will just keep on returning.

7. NO3

NO3

Then im afraid @butcherman is correct.

No if anything LED decreases intensity over time!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Here are my tanks parameters. Nitrates 10ppm phosphates are .02ppm cal 430ppm alk 8dhK mag1380 temp 79 f. I have implemented Nitra Guards bio cubes for nitrate reduction. My orphek Atlantik was bought new and isn't a year old. I will post some pics after work as it's 6:30 and I have to leave for work. All these corals I lost thrived for months after switching the programming to higher intensity also a lot of the frags came from another reefers tank that is lit with more them 2x the amount of Cree LEDs in a DIY build. My skimmer is inside a stand. We do not use any aresol products in our home due to the tank. I have been contiplating running an airline from outside to the air intake of my skimmer to get fresh air into my tank.

9. butcherman

did the corals all die at once or one a long period of time? how long after you noticed a colony showing symptoms would it last befor the sps was dead?

10. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

No not all sps died at once tips would start then it would slowly bleach out. My stag colonies took the longest to loose them totally. I had tried cutting off dead parts well into still healthy tissue at the time and they still eventually bleached out. There were a few frags that RTN'd but they where newer frags that I had added. So I had given up trying sps corals for a bit and just kept up with my 10 gallon weekly water changes and other maintenance changing carbon that I run 24/7 rowaphos that I change monthly. I continued to test parameters to adjust cal,alk an mag dosing as I don't have any sps anymore. I now find that with using aquavitro salinity salt and the 10 gallon water changes weekly keeps my parameters steady. It was mentioned that as your system became ULNS and alk was 11 dhK and that was an issue and I had also addressed this issue before this problem as I was using Red Sea coral pro salt that has a high alk content this is why I made the switch to Aquavitro Salinity. But this was before my sps issue.

11. butcherman

[​IMG]
    i assume you have a unit similar to this one?
    Can we see a picture if your tank currently?

12. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

I have the 1st version. I will post a couple that I have on my phone as I am at work I will also post a pic of the Atlantik that I have also. They upgraded the led layout more reds and uv leds
    28 – 17,500K white
    10 – 12,000K white
    24 – 460nm blue
    8 – 450 nm blue
    4 – Orphek special High range red
    4 – High range 380-430nm UV
    This my Atlantik led make up. I hope this may help.

image.jpg

13. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Sorry it looks as though the other pics didn't post so here are the other two.

image.jpg

14. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

I apologize for poor pictures I will make a photobucket account so I can resize and upload pictures from my Canon T3i. I also haven't figured out why it allows me to choose 3 files to upload but when I hit upload it shows only one being uploaded. So I apologize but I was asked for pictures of my tank so I will upload pics of my sump tank and lights so that you guys and gals can get a better insight into my set up. I will also give youa list of all components
    90 gallon tank 48"x18"x24" deep
    LifeReef 700 gph external overflow as my tank isn't drilled
    150pounds of live rock and 80 pounds of Samoan pink sugar sand
    Mag 12 return pump
    JNS CO1 SCone protein skimmer
    BRS dual media reactor 2 cups of rowaphos and 1 cup carbon 24/7
    Aqueon 350gph pump running reactors
    Tsunami ATO with 5 gallon resivoir and hydor nano 150 gph pump
    Orphek Atlanik LEDs
    Ecotech MP40w and MP10w with battery back up
    30 gallon sump 3 chambers one with live rock and chaeto
    Eheim jäger 300 watt heater
    Philips 13watt 6500k led light for fuge in sump
    I also use a filter sock on 1" flew tubing going into my sump and filter floss in between bubble baffles going into return chamber
    Picasso clown taking a time out in refugium chamber and a purple reef lobster living in my return chamber as I caught him eating my 4th purple fire fish that disappeared all of which were healthy fish.

image.jpg

15. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

1st tank shot again iphones take horrible pictures of led lit reef tanks

image.jpg

16. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Another

image.jpg

17. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

One of my clams the second being on the sand bed in the middle of the bommies closer to the rightside. I had it up on a rock and it had latched it's foot but them decided to go for a stroll and this is where it has been happy???

image.jpg

18. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Full tank shot

image.jpg

19. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

The Orphek Atlantik

image.jpg

20. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Zoa rock