Is there a bible?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bayls, 4 Jan 2008.

1. Bayls

Bayls Not often called Junior!

Hi
    Is there a book that is generally accepted as the one to have for information on inverts and corals? I need to start getting my ducks in a row when it comes to researching stocking/compatability/ease of keeping etc. I have ordered Reef Aquarium Fishes by Scott W Michael which I heard was good.

cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

[​IMG]

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series) (Oceanographic Series) (Hardcover)

by Julian Sprung

I quite like this one

4. Smithers

Smithers

Eish hard question as each person has their own views. I think the best thing is to go onto forums like MASA and build up your own views on the subject.
    Most books I have read are outdated wrt the equipment side of the hobby.

There are people like Anthony Calfo who does coral propagation, his books are the bibles of propagating !

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

6. Bayls

Bayls Thread Starter Not often called Junior!

Thanks guys, I'll try the Sprung one. (Guess you can't have too many books!)

cheers

7. Marinemagic

Marinemagic Member

I have a book called 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist' by Robert M. Fenner which is a very good book outlining most topics, but as smithers said most books are outdated when it comes to equipment. The basics are still the same though!

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I have Sprung's book, and is is okey, but with regards to compatibility it does not help much. The general rule of thumb is keep stony corals apart from one another, to allow space for growth. Keep soft corals to a minimum (especially sarcophyton, sinularia) if you intend keeping small polyped stony corals. Keep large polyped stony corals as far away from anything as possible, as they have long sweeping stinging tentacles capable of killing corals up stream of them.

Hobbyist books of value in my opinion:
    Deelbek and Sprung, the Marine Aquarium, volume 1, 2 and 3. Three is very up to date w.r.t. equipment and husbandry techniques.
    Borneman, aquarium corals, good intelligent reading.
    Calfo and Fenner, [SIZE=-1]Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility[/SIZE] the best for your purposes in my opinion.
    Chalie Veron, corals of the indo pacific. The ultimate series for identification.

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

If there were only 2 books to choose from i would go Deelbek and Sprung volume 3 which is an update of volume 1 and Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner.

Recent Posts