is shop caviar the same as roe?

its way more expensive, you can gt ON fish eggs for R45 or so
Where do you find these...? Frozen Section or Butcher Section....anyone got a pic..? or a Brand so I can Google...:p

I just get them from the fish markets at the harbor - then again I do live next to the sea...

Yeah I haven't seen them here in a while either. Most places stock lobster eggs but not fish eggs. Just get the supermarket version, it's completely fine and dirt cheap.

Not all the stuff in supermarkets labelled as roe is fish. A lot of the cheaper ones are nothing more than fish flavoured alginate beads.

Right Guys and Gals,
I took pictures of my bulk buy!.... I bought it at Checkers in Shelley Beach. Its displayed at the raw fish counter so you buy it by weight. As with fresh fish, its not frozen, no additives etc. So either you can cut it up in small pieces before you freeze it, or, as in my case, I bulk freeze it to bring it back to JHB. I break off the frozen tubes, cut it up into little pieces. So theres not thawing and re-freezing involved. And no need for grating etc. Just hold the little piece tightly between your fingers in the tank. It desolves and releases the tiny eggs. I said tightly..... reason being... the fish go crazy and bight small pieces from your hands.
So I'm sure any fresh fish monger in JHB will have it at their fresh fish counter. Hope this solves the mystery around Fish Roe.....;)

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0486-1.jpg

Last edited:
My freezer normally full of snoek kuite (roe), especially during snoek season. If anybody wants, you welcome to come get. I can oly eat so much before i start chasing the other half around the bedroom...
Have often thought to pack it and sell it to the reefkeeping market, but it seems like work..

Back
Top Bottom