Is Ro waste water safe to drink

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CarlosF, 2 Jul 2012.

1. CarlosF

CarlosF

Hi guys just want to know if its safe to drink ro waste water, and would it be cleaner than normal tap water thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

One should not drink 0 tds water. it needs to be remineralised. if you want water cleaner than your tape drink the watse water ;)

4. Wes

Wes

Don't drink RO water ever...

5. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

@butcherman thanks thats my question i bought a ro unit and now my dad is moaning of the extra water thats being wasted so just want to make sure that the water we dont want to use for our tanks are sutable and safe for drinking

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

@Wes i know one shouldnt drink the RO itself want to know about the extra that is waisted down the drain

7. rakabos

rakabos

Found this on a site a while ago:

One of the most pronounced negative effects of consumption of RO water is dilution and washing out Na+,K+ and Mg2+. This phenomenon - electrolytic imbalance causes problems with neural transduction, muscle contraction and can lead to sudden death. This is why one should drink highly mineralized water after extensive sport activities and/or during warm days.

8. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The others did not read. He wants to drink the WASTE water. Yes, you can drink it. It will just have more minerals than the tap water. It should be better for you as it would have run through the carbon filters so some crap would have been removed.

9. rakabos

rakabos

10. rakabos

rakabos

Ok so RO water bad, RO waste water good

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

My RO waste water runs into the garden. The tree at the outlet has grown exponentially more than the other plants. You could always run the water into a separate container and use it to water the garden manually. Otherwise all the waste is dumped into a small section.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  12. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

@mariusmeyer thanks man just quick question my RO TDS is 0 my waste water TDS is 111 and my tap water TDS is 74 why would my waste thats been kind of cleaned have a higher tds than my normal tap water.. and yeah damn i made 5liters RO and there was about 30 Liters of waste water is that right?

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Thats a lot of watse. My tap water is 92 and I only get about 2L waste for every L of RO. And my filters are old as well.

The waste will have higher TDS as it will contain all the minerals that got rejected by the membrane. By better quality I mean that certain stuff such as chlorine will get filtered out by the carbon filters.

14. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

ok so even though it has a higher TDS its still beter than normal tap water?

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

As far as I know yes. If you actually go and test bottled water you will see it has a higher TDS than tap water. Thats is because of all the so called good minerals that they add to in.

16. Wes

Wes

not so sure the waste water from an RO unit is cleaned at all, TDS would be higher because the majority of the good water has been cleaned, so you have a greater quantity of dissolved solids in the waste water, cause it never went through the RO unit.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  17. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

ok awsm thanks alot man, helpfull as always

18. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

Thanks @Wes. so it seems safe to drink if im not online for awhile you guys will all know that it wasent safe lol

19. Wes

Wes

careful bud, seriously, water the plants with it.

20. mupwi

mupwi

as the guys have said the things like chlorine get filtered by the carbon fillters then the ro membrane rejects the semaining minrals into the waste so this waste water will have a higher consentration of things like calcium floride magnesium potasium. Think of it as a energade with a bit of water all thoes extra electrolites that help you rehydrate.

when puting this water to youre plans i will also benifit them as it is like a mild fertiliser think about what hapens to youre alge when your ro membrains are old and with the chlorine removed even better for the plants.

21. mupwi

mupwi

o and you can drink streight ro but not in large quantitys for prelonged periods iw will held detox you but as mentioned the osmotic presure will strip youre boddy of toxins as well as the needed minrals so drinking ro maby 1 day per month is fine but on a daily basis verry bad. I drink a fair amount of distiled water here at work as its the easiest filtered water to get hold of neer my office but I always mix it with somthing like isotonic game or 50/50 with fuit juice

Recent Posts