Is ocean water safe?

Reaction score
So I saw some people use ocean water for their tank. Is it safe

I have a Boyu TL450. Know a few people at the ocean. How do I get the water ready for my tank?

Thanks Guys

Yes you can! Where are your friends? I'd be weary of the Umdloti area and surrounding north coast region of KZN with the spill that happened two weeks ago. The beaches were still closed last weekend, but not sure about now. Otherwise, the rivers are not out at the moment so quite clean.

Some guys filter their water and even run it through some carbon, but for a new tank I think the more nutrients and life you can add the better.

So I can just throw it in?
Won't the fish die cause the ocean water is quite dirty

Do a search, top right, I'm sure there's a few threads on NSW.
From what I remember you need to collect behind the break line. The further out the better.

Hi , I also use NSW never had any issues all depends on where you getting it from I guess.

You can also collect from Ushaka marine , I think you need to get a permit it costs R600 a year.

I use NSW every now and then to introduce new strains of bacteria and other Plankton in the water. A lot of people use it.

Now this is good to know. Thanks Brent. I am at the coast and will definitely start doing this. I use RS blue bucket currently.

My one friend in PE uses NSW. But from what he tells me it sounds like a mission. I know he runs his water through filters. Then he add chemicals to buff the ca, alk and mg to get it to his standard. Sounds like alot of work. Ok everything to me sounds like work :1:

My one friend in PE uses NSW. But from what he tells me it sounds like a mission. I know he runs his water through filters. Then he add chemicals to buff the ca, alk and mg to get it to his standard. Sounds like alot of work. Ok everything to me sounds like work :1:
Sounds like a jealous tone? Lol
I use NSW, cheaper then mixing. Have a chap who brings it to your home. My corals and fish seem happier...

Same here been using nsw since i started 2 years ago and no problems growing sps lps and softys .

Back
Top Bottom