Is night light a big requirement ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ZeroCool, 9 Aug 2010.

1. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Afternoon everyone, i want to know, how important are night light for any marine system ?

I know it is nice to simulate nature ... and that is our ultimate goal.

I had some terrible power surges over the weekend, and my Buyo TL550's LED lights blew. I unscrewed the top unit, replacing the damaged parts, but i want to know, if i put a bulb in, that is totally blue, that will work right ? and ofcourse, it will work on the night switch.

Input please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

haha night light :p Yes we do like to simulate nature, but it helps the fish settle down for the night. In the wild the light decreases steadily, in our tank it is a few light turning off in sequence. The night lights are there to break down that transition from bright to dark into smaller pieces so the fish dont get such a fright. If your lights go from bright to dark they stress and sometimes even jump out. So it helps there.

It depends on how bright that bulb is. Cause it needs to be dark enough for the fish to recognise it being night time and not just darker day. do you run the light all night? I personally have mine set to switch off after a couple of hours..

By asking for input serparately, did you think you would make the post and then just let us look at your questions?

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Not important all! I dont have a night light, my SPS are growing out of the water and the fish are nice and healthy. If you want it for pure viewing pleasure or to try and replicate what goes on in the ocean then go for it.

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I totally agree with Mekaeel - in fact, I believe that having lights on throughout the night is actually detrimental to your tank's well being. Think about Nature - there might be some light for a few hours during full moon (which only happens every 28 days, for those city slickers who did not know :biggrin:), but the moon does not shine throughout the night - it moves just like the sun appears to do. Also, given that the "average" reef is a few meters below the water surface, and that water filters out the light quite effectively, I suspect that deeper down on the reefs it is really VERY dark at night (perhaps our divers can confirm this...).

What I do know from personal experience/observations is that many more "goggas" spawn/hatch at night than during the day - in fact, even fish hatch out at night to prevent predation, and clown fish eggs won't hatch if the tank is too light.

It is, of course, good practice to have the lights turn on and off gradually (over time), again to simulate natures dawn and dusk.

Hennie

6. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

Currently my Buyo's LED's are both dead, I opened the tank today, and found out that the boards inside blew. We had power surges and i guess that was too much. I ran the full system on surgue protectors.

So, if i switch all the lights off, with nothing no, that ok for a few hours at night ?

Regarding the input/questions, i meant, please help ...

7. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

Ultimatly,i dont want to spend R500 to get that going ? someone PM me, regarding the same issue, and he just replaced the LED's, but i think my problem are much bigger.

Think i will try to get a total blue bulb, and use that as a night light, i will work ... i am sure of it.

Currently i am running 75W (3*25W balbs). Inserting another one for the night light might be a good idea, will cost about R200 ... roughly.

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

Haha but thats why you posted in the first place isnt it? :p

As has been said they are not a must, it merely helps with the transition between light and dark(giving them time to get to their sleeping places. Your tank will be fine without them

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

DIY yourself some moonlights, will cost you maybe R40.

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

thanks ;) ... i am not good at electronics ... they is why i am asking for help !

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

its really really easy. Soldering the wires together might be difficult, but i'm sure there must be someone near you who could help out

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Night lights are for human viewing pleasure...

13. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

hi there ... it looks nice ... but ja.

now, another question, the BUYO have a UV light system, is that also a must ?

14. scubaninja

scubaninja

Nope. UV kills bacteria which we need :)

15. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Thread Starter

ok, if the UV system went in my BUYO, what then ? i am trying to find BUYO spares, but wow, what a mission !

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

Ok, thinking about it, i know UV kills bacteria, but how much bacteria one of those flourescent tubes kills i'm not sure. I personally would not run one. If you are having trouble looking for spares, its time to DIY

Recent Posts