Is my Powder Blue being agressive or playful?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by King_Triton, 13 Nov 2014.

1. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hey MASA,

So I got a Powder Blue Tang two days ago. A really healthy specimen and about the size of my hand.

This guy has been the opposite of the info i read on them.

From the time I put him in, he has never been shy or hides away. He follows me all along the tank, which ever side I walk.

I also notice that he likes swimming at the surface so that his top fin is out of the water... not sure if he thinks hes a shark :lol: There is a lot of surface disturbance so I know its not an attempt for more oxygen rich water.

Now this is the weird part. Yesterday evening i decided to clean my glass with a yellow glass cleaner, the type that takes a blade.

This fish constantly swam around the tank but with every round, he would come to my hand really fast and bump me with the side of his body or poke my hand with his top fin. This then became a game, and everytime he swam too close I would take my hand out and then put it back.

I thought it was because of the yellow glass cleaner(maybe he confused it for a yellow tang stealing his algae off the glass). But then afterwards when I was replacing some corals, he did the same with just my hand in the tank. Seems worse when I have the glass cleaner though.

Did anyone else experience this behaviour with Tangs? Is is being playful or agressive towards me? The behaviour of this Tang will make anyone belive he's been in this tank for about a year.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jason

Jason

This sounds so awesome...

I think this guy is aggressive, did you buy him from a LFS or fellow reefer?

If he is only aggressive towards you and not to other inmates ill let it be.

Ebi Omer likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason

I had a tomato clown that done the same, sometimes he actually bit me, drew first blood. He was huge, size of my palm but was never aggressive towards other fish

5. mukesh

mukesh

My large Lipstick Tang follows my hand whenever im cleaning the glass , but he is never agressive , just waits to gobble the algae.

6. King_Triton

King_Triton Thread Starter

Lol.. awesome it is :biggrin:

Got him from a LFS. He's only agressive to me so far. Doesnt have any beef with my yellow Foxface or any other fish in the tank. He is the only Tang though. I know i was supposed to add other tangs first, but this fish is a real beaut!!! and I couldnt pass him by at the price i got him.

He is already the boss of the tank. I would probably need to move him, and rescape and then add him back after a week or two if I want to addd any more tangs in the future

7. King_Triton

I also have a large tomato clown, but he's cool so far. Got her with the PBT the other day as a mate for my smaller tomato clown.

8. King_Triton

My Foxface and Chromis do this all the time. Its good though that the algae doesnt go to waste :whistling:

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Territory. Powders like to be the boss of the tank. They get stressed easily if they are not in command. That is why they are white spot magnets because they release so much cortisol that it suppresses their immune system.
    Don't taunt him.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
    irie ivan likes this.
  10. King_Triton

Though as much.. just didnt expect this on the second day... Hes the boss alright.

Also read up on this.. I wonder how effective clearer wrasse are at relieving stress in fish.

Fish have a massage to reduce stress | News | Practical Fishkeeping

11. King_Triton

The Boss of the tank... named sharky... as you can see in the one pic, he swims with the top fin out the water. My phone was not fast enough to capture more of this behaviour, but it seems to be what he loves to do all day...

20141113_170430.jpg

20141113_170542.jpg

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

13. hammers

hammers

Does this white spot apply to the browns too?

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

15. Ian van der merwe

Ian van der merwe

Awesome fish but im never putting any powder tang in my tank again Enjoy

16. King_Triton

Hey Ian.. lol you gotta share your reason for that

17. Ian van der merwe

Ian van der merwe

Let just say I had a nasty experience with a powder brown tang that ended up with me losing most of my livestock. Luckily my foxface and lipstick survived not sure if it was ich or velvet but bad decision on my part. Never buying a beautiful Tang again Lol

18. Ian van der merwe

Ian van der merwe

But sure enough they dont get any more beautiful than this. Congrats always smile because if you frown it will get whitespot

19. King_Triton

Lol. Yeah I lost a powder brown to white spot. My foxface caught it too but came right without medication. My powder blue is doing extremely well I must say. Saw a few spots after the 3rd day. But cleared by the next morning. There are just so many factors that contribute to white spot with these sensitive fish.

20. Ian van der merwe

Ian van der merwe

Specimens differ some of them never get sick

Recent Posts