Is my nennie too close to zoa colony ???

Well, if need be I do have a 150w mh clip on I can fit. Problem is I'm using it on my frag tank

Last edited:
@Anemone
ok, I'm no expert on anemones, but is this nennie really bleached? Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a Sebae and I've only ever seen them in members setups and at most LFS in this exact same coloration. I've gone back to the same LFS more than a month later and the same specimen looked exactly the same under excellent lighting and being well fed? So my question, is it not possible that this is it's color?

Yes, it is bleached. Harvesting and shipping is very difficult on anemones. It is common to see these in this condition at the LFS. Hosting anemones should never be white.

just fed mysis now with turkey baster, didn't really see nennie close up and eat, however I did get a good amount sticking on tentacles, would he of consumed this without closing ?

I just want to be sure that this guy is eating ok?

Yes, it can consume without closing. But keep a close eye on it to make sure it is getting the food to its mouth.

Geez, ok, so what's the best advice to nurse him back to health ? How often should i feed, 1, 2 or 3 times a week ? Doesn't look like his taking much food, maybe not happy?

When do they start eating once in their new environment ?

Thnx

and reading further a bit more gloom:

Bad points -

No one , not even the public aquariums, can keep the white or yellow ones alive for more than 6 - 8 months. Out of 20 responses regarding sebaes only 2 anemones had stayed alive for more than a year. Both the anemones were tan in color either when purchased or had turned tan shortly there after. Getting otherwise healthy sebaes to " color up" by feeding once a week with fresh fish, clam, shrimp or gelatin. They should also get brine shrimp, adult and baby. In addition to frequent feedings the anemones should be under metal halide lights. If the anemone is not able to replace its zooxanthellae it is doomed to a very slow starvation once is the tank. There are cream colored sebae anemones found in shallow water in the wild, but they not the transparent white color found in dealers tanks. They don't seem to be good beginners anemone despite articles that say they are.

How old is this information? Feeding gelatin???? and Brine??? Unless that brine was newly hatched or enriched with something its similar to letting your children survive on chocolate, tastes great, but not very nutritional.

Stay with me here on MASA Sammy!

Geez, ok, so what's the best advice to nurse him back to health ? How often should i feed, 1, 2 or 3 times a week ? Doesn't look like his taking much food, maybe not happy?

When do they start eating once in their new environment ?

Thnx

Sammy how about giving the run down on your tank, all equipment, water parameters, and tank mates.

I would try feeding at least every other day, no more than once a day. The small portions are very important. Try feeding 1 mysis shrimp. If it is not unable to take it, try a smaller piece. Don't force it to eat.

Healthy anemones will usually always eat within the first few days, stressed anemones may take some more time. Its important to make sure you've met all the other requirements first.

There are many variables involved. It depends on your tank, lighting, filtration, livestock, water parameters, age of tank, etc. It also depends on the tentacle length. If they are short, the first priority is to get the anemone eating. If they are stubs....getting it to eat can be more difficult. Add bleached and stubby tentacles, even more difficult. Add bleached, stubby, insufficient lighting or tank mates, poor water parameters and you will have a more difficult time. There is no magic number that I can give you as far as time. It can take months, sometimes 2 months, or less, sometimes more.

Tell me more about your tank, tank mates, feeding, lighting, water parameters, age of tank, and about your equipment. Also tell me how long you’ve had it, where it came from (wild captured, or propagated) the age of your tank, and if you know…what caused the anemone to bleach?

Hi Brenda

It is not mine, I sae the RBTA at a LFS. Was eying it but my tank is still a bit young. I just wanted to find out what it would take to get it back to health if I do decide to get it.

Sammy how about giving the run down on your tank, all equipment, water parameters, and tank mates.

I would try feeding at least every other day, no more than once a day. The small portions are very important. Try feeding 1 mysis shrimp. If it is not unable to take it, try a smaller piece. Don't force it to eat.

Healthy anemones will usually always eat within the first few days, stressed anemones may take some more time. Its important to make sure you've met all the other requirements first.
@ Anemone, ok here's a quick run down.

Tank 320L, running for about 3 months, don't scream, I've moved everything from a very mature system. 2 years old and you can see the coralline growth all over

Mixed fish, LPS and SPS.

Filtration;

RO sss1000 skimmer
ATS
Refugium with DSB and cheato
ROWACarbon/ROWAPhos in RO Reactor
Filter sock
LR pieces

Water params:

SG - 1.024
CA - 400
Alk - 9.0
Mg - 1350
Temp - 27degs

Lighting:

6x39W AM Oceansun

I've added a video so you can see !

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t see youtube videos on this computer. L

However, you salinity is a bit low. Gradually bring it up to 1.026 by topping off with saltwater.

What is you pH?

What are the “mixed” fish?

I don’t believe you have enough lighting for this anemone, to be sure can you give me your tank dimensions?

ohhhh dear, someone has found a home :) now the question, is this good or bad for nennie ? Will he benefit or just annoy ??

8674e0b95936dcfe.jpg

Nice! Does the Nennie have difficult requirements?

It is best to let the anemone recover without having a clownfish pestering it. However, if it were me, I would likely not tear my tank apart trying to seperate the two....as long as the anemone is on its way to recovery and doesn't worsen.

You still have the salinity and questionable lighting to deal with. I still need more information to help you with lighting.

How is the anemone doing with feedings?

Hi there, only last night clown seemed to take home, today his on this own, I've slowly started to up salinity.

My tank dimensions are: DT 915x600x450 sump: 900x45x45

Nice! Does the Nennie have difficult requirements?

There are special requirements when it comes to anemones. As far as difficult, it can be, but doesn't have to be. It can be difficult if you don't have a good understanding of these animals. It can be deadly if you don't meet the requirements needed to keep anemones. Once all of the requirements are meet, routine tank maintenance is performed, healthy anemones and compatible tank mates are found, tank has matured, etc, you can keep an anemone without difficulty IMO.

Back
Top Bottom