Urgent help needed is my flame goby blind??

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by jonno, 4 Jul 2011.

1. jonno

jonno

hi everyone, got a bit of a problem, i have a flame goby in a 60L boyu cube tank, he looks as if he is blind cos when i feed (mixed flake normally and fish eggs and marine mix enriched with garlic supreme for a treat) he comes out of his hole and looks for the food but does not seem to see it he swims right past the biggest pieces and when something is right in front of his nose he will try eat it and misses 9 times out of 10, he also tends to swim into the glass and other things in the tank.

this has gone on now for about 6 to 8 months now and he is starting to look a bit thin :(, i do water changes weekly of about 15% and salinity is checked twice a week and kept between 1.020 and 1.024, clean sponges once a month, i dont really check any of the other parameters as i use my ls as a gauge to water quality, i have various softees in the tank that are all doing well as well as a small striped surgeon that needs to come out soon, he is fine aswell.

if anyone can shed some light on this it would be great, is it possible the goby could be short sighted or something like that? oh yes i forgot to add the goby has no apparent visible issues with his eyes they look perfectly normal and also i took him out my main system cos of the feeding issue, was acting strange since the day i got him tbh???

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jul 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

What is your pH? My clown seemed blind when my pH was a bit low...

4. jonno

jonno Thread Starter

hi coswecanfly thanks for the reply, my ph is sitting at around 7.8 with the lights off, i will try using kalkwasser over 2 or 3 days and pick it up to around 8.3 c if that makes a differencethanksani

5. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

You're welcome... I don't know much but that's one thing that did happen to me... :biggrin:

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry I've got no idea what could be wrong with your fish, but this concerns me a bit.
    Is your salinity fluctuating between 1.020 and 1.024? How often do you top up your tank with freshwater?

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

could very well be blind. If you go past Finny you will see they have a Blind Powder Brown at the moment in one of the tanks...you cant tell from its eyes either, but Shaun showed me that it was infact blind.

Maybe try what he has been doing with the PB, feed a food that can stay in one stationary place and always feed in the same spot, that way the fish will get used to where the food is and when it smells it in the water it will head for the same spot every time. He has been feeding mussel and Nori to the PB...its a bit bigger than a flame goby so not quite sure if your options for food are the same with it. Also with the food you do try dose a bit of garlic at first so it can smell it and find it a bit easier.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
    viper357 likes this.
  8. jonno

jonno Thread Starter

good idea, will try that, at least he will get to eat more be he blind or not

i try keep it at 1.020 i sometimes top up dring the week in summer when its warmer and get a bit more evaporation with the lid left slightly open, but otherwise once weekly with water change to get it to 1.020, there is not much evaporation with the lid closed i know not really a good thing.

9. jonno

jonno Thread Starter

hey guys, well the goby has eventually gone to the big sea in the sky, felt sorry for the guy as he was starving, couldn't get myself to do the humane thing and put him out his misery, but at least he's not suffering anymore thanks for all the comments it was worth a try

Recent Posts